Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lowering spring help (sits crocked)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 08:17 AM
SC3001
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering spring help (sits crocked)

I put tanabe NF210 springs on and the right front sits 1'' higher than the drivers front, wtf, my friend bought the same springs and its doing the same thing on his, his is a 98 sc300, mine is a 97 sc300. Is there something we didn't do right? If someone could help that would be great, it looks like $**t...
Old 05-05-08, 12:13 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

how long have you guys had them on. You're gunna want to give them about 2 weeks to settle.
Old 05-05-08, 01:09 PM
SC3001
Driver

about 2 months
Old 05-06-08, 01:49 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i had this problem before also when i ran springs, i came to the conclusion that since i sit on the drivers side there is more weight on that side the majority of the time so it settled in more. The only solution i had to this was either always have a passenger, or stick bags of rice on the passenger side.
Old 05-06-08, 03:02 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Was thinking about getting some to use on my stock struts. Will research a little more to see if this is normal for all springs or just specific types. It would drive me crazy having one side 1 inch lower than the other.

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is how you should tighten the bolts and settle the suspension in specific order (using the FSM for dummies like me) to allow the suspension to set correctly. Just throwing that out there, but like I said... I'm a dummy when it comes to suspension.
Old 05-07-08, 11:33 AM
Touge
Pole Position

I noticed this issue also when I installed my coilovers, so I adjusted the driverside to be higher. It's just odd that I had to do that.
Old 05-07-08, 02:03 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were the endlinks reinstalled correctly?
Old 05-07-08, 05:36 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

dont know if it would make any difference but did you get an alignment?
Old 05-07-08, 05:45 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

do a search.. this is a common problem. this happens with almost every sc when you lower it. Vinh is rite. only way to even them up is coil overs but it not really a biggie dont stress out to much over it i have that problem and so does everyone one else. after a while you jus get use to it
Old 05-07-08, 08:21 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I also have this problem running with Tanabe NF210's...It's getting very annoying and I'm thinking that my struts my be shot...I'm highly considering upgrading to Tein SS Coilovers.
Old 05-07-08, 08:32 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 818sc400
do a search.. this is a common problem. this happens with almost every sc when you lower it. Vinh is rite. only way to even them up is coil overs but it not really a biggie dont stress out to much over it i have that problem and so does everyone one else. after a while you jus get use to it

i'm smart
Old 06-14-08, 07:39 AM
SC3001
Driver

Ok, I've had them on my car now for almost 6 weeks, still sits same if not higher than stock on right front. I can get 3 fingers from my fender to tire on 18s in wheel well. would it be a shame to cut a coil off so it will sit level? Has onyone ever done that? I don't want to ruin a set of springs, but I don't want to replace my suspension as I can't afford it now and I just bought these! I don't know, frustrated
Old 06-14-08, 07:54 AM
TJohnson
Driver

My vote is the stock struts are shot.

I replaced my stock 164k mile struts and shocks about 3-4 months ago with Tokico Blues and Espilir springs. It sits at exactly the same height / tire clearance on all four corners. With or without passengers.

I've replaced countless suspension setups on MK3 Supras, MKIV Supras, SC300's, and some Vettes and F-body's too and on EVERY SINGLE CAR, if you don't replace them both (meaning the shocks and springs at the same time) then they almost always always sit wrong or crooked.

Shocks will wear slightly different over time as different corners of the car hit bumps at different times. Add that up over 150k miles and you can see just how differently they can wear. With forgiving stock springs, they can accomodate the difference in wear. A replacement lowering spring can't always and most times won't.

It's just my personal opinion, but replacing just springs is a half *** job when it takes almost no additional labor or effort to replace it all at the same time. Replacing the shocks at the same time is the right thing to do and will cause you much less headache in the end as you are finding out now. I've just found that when its all done at the same time, you don't run into near as many issues as when you just replace one or the other.
Old 06-14-08, 08:13 AM
SC3001
Driver

The shocks had only 2k miles on them before the springs and I only lowered the car an inch, so I didn't think I needed to replace the struts again, Also it seems that this happens with all tanabe springs no matter which strut combo as everyone is posting. I could be wrong. My buddy put same springs on his car 7 months ago with new tokicos and his still sits 3/4'' higher on right front. I'm to the concusion that the springs suck and I'll never recommend them but it does ride excellent (probably because the front end is stock height)!
Old 06-14-08, 07:04 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Can we see pictures?

Quick Reply: lowering spring help (sits crocked)