Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ls400 brake install

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 09:24 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
I'm ready to pull the trigger ASAP on this project myself, especially after reading a multi-page thread over on SF about its benefits. My main problem right now is finding a source for the LS calipers, bolts and pads. I've identified a known source for stainless steel brake lines, and another for high performance LS rotors.

Any tips/hints on sources?
Calipers look in the for sale forum and a few vendors have it for sale. Bolts you can get straight from lexus, and the brake pads and rotors you could get from tire rack or some other online vendor.
Old 05-15-08, 09:37 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I'm planning on going with the LS400 brakes soon, and from my research I've found you need the LS calipers, LS rotors, LS caliper bolts, brakes pads, brake fluid, and you would have to modify the dust shield by bending or removing it.

Has anyone put the LS brakes behind the 97+ 5 spoke sc wheels?
wont work. i have those wheels on top of like another 4 sets of wheels. the only wheels that clear my ls400's are the supra TT 17's and my stern 18's.

you can get a set of ls400 wheels. they are ugly but they work and they are 16's.

as far as the bolts go...why do people go and buy new bolts. it makes even less sense that people sell the calipers without them. i would recommend using washers because it actually puts more shearing stresses on the bolt. you dont have to buy a new one. just take your existing bolt and cut. it wont hurt its integrity at all.

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
I'm ready to pull the trigger ASAP on this project myself, especially after reading a multi-page thread over on SF about its benefits. My main problem right now is finding a source for the LS calipers, bolts and pads. I've identified a known source for stainless steel brake lines, and another for high performance LS rotors.

Any tips/hints on sources?
how soon do you need them. i might have a set laying around soon. i did a set on my car already and sold a set to a local member. i usually come across them about once a month or so. if you still need them PM and ill try to find a set. you just need calipers right?...(with pads and all the hardware obviously)
Old 05-15-08, 09:52 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
wont work. i have those wheels on top of like another 4 sets of wheels. the only wheels that clear my ls400's are the supra TT 17's and my stern 18's.

you can get a set of ls400 wheels. they are ugly but they work and they are 16's.
How about if you use spacers with the wheels?
Old 05-15-08, 01:16 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

How about if you use spacers with the wheels?
depends on the size of the spacer.
Old 05-15-08, 01:47 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the IS350 18's? Will they clear the calipers?
Old 05-15-08, 04:48 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Black_SC
depends on the size of the spacer.
I was thinking 15mm

Originally Posted by atekt
They should their oem calipers are similar.
Old 05-15-08, 06:38 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Alright cool, thanks!
Old 05-17-08, 12:30 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking 15mm

They should their oem calipers are similar.
A 15mm spacer will not won't work with your OEM wheel...Remember, you need at least 2.75 inches or 70 millimeters from the rotor face to the mid-inner spoke of the wheel to clear the MUCH bigger LS calipers...

A 15MM spacer will not cut it..Even if it works, you'll be putting all kinds of stress to your suspension with such a large spacer...Your ride quality will be compromised as a result...
Old 05-17-08, 06:00 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by atekt
Yes the is350 twin 5 spoke 18s will clear with almost no room left. The fronts are 18x8 +45 offset.
Old 05-17-08, 06:24 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up getting the Project Kics spacers in a 10mm. Probably the most user friendly spacers I have ever used - they are awesome

Jonny
Old 05-18-08, 03:20 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Will you run into clearance issues if you have after market wheels?
Old 05-18-08, 03:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by One HoT
A 15mm spacer will not won't work with your OEM wheel...Remember, you need at least 2.75 inches or 70 millimeters from the rotor face to the mid-inner spoke of the wheel to clear the MUCH bigger LS calipers...

A 15MM spacer will not cut it..Even if it works, you'll be putting all kinds of stress to your suspension with such a large spacer...Your ride quality will be compromised as a result...
Are you talking from experience or just guessing?

15mm will work with his 97-00 5-spoke wheels. How do I know? Because I tried the wheels on my car before and there is AT LEAST 4-5mm clearance left between the caliper itself and the spoke of the wheel. The LS calipers are wider than the OEM SC calipers, but not as much as most people exaggerate. You might even pull it off with 10mm (haven't tried but it should be very close).

Your suspension will not be stressed out due to having spacers. Ride quality will not be compromised because the suspension geometry and components remain the same. The only thing changed is the width of the track, and it's not nearly enough to do anything to your ride quality. The only problem you might have with spacers is that the lugs may be stressed out. This is why you buy spacers with extended lugs AND spacers that are hubcentric so the wheels will not be resting on the lugs. No one wants to be riding around with a lugcentric setup.

Old 05-18-08, 03:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
Will you run into clearance issues if you have after market wheels?
It depends on the wheel itself. As long as you have high disk wheels, then you should be able to clear most large calipers. If you have low clearance, then you might be able to get away with spacers as long as your offset doesn't allow the wheels to sit outside of the fender (w/spacers).
Old 05-22-08, 08:09 PM
supramari0
Driver School Candidate

sup guys where are you guys buying your ss lines for the ls400 calipers?
Old 05-23-08, 11:58 AM
JJsc3
Driver

The factory sc300 caliper bolt will work. They're not too much longer. What you do need to do however, is place 2 thick lock washers on the top bolt only. The lower bolt will clear the rotor.

Also, dust shields can stay on the car, but you need bend them back slightly.

Last edited by JJsc3; 05-31-08 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Not the caliper but the rotor.

Quick Reply: ls400 brake install