Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Picture REQUEST. Non-Air Tucked Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 04:44 AM
jonboy0517
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
i love coilovers and their ride quality..my ride is pretty damn smooth..i would say..pretty close to stock..even at my height..i do come to some obstacles tho..speed bumps and steep driveways n such..those are the only times i wish i had air..because i scrape on everything..but at the same time..people look at me and are probably thinkin..."damn hes gangsta!" haha..so if i had to say anything..people get more props for being slammed on coils than sayin ur on air..i get props all the time..not tryna brag..but im jus sayin..also if anything i would have to say..coilovers will last probably 3 times as long as a UAS set up..especialy if u like to ride low..hope this info helps/made sense

edit..also..if that shop is willing to sponsor u with free stuff and whatnot.why not jus do it and get all the benefits?? if that was the case..i would definately go air
I was just thinking that.. i give more props/credit to those with coilovers riding that low 24/7.. air is kinda like an easy way out to be slammed but dont get me wrong it all depends on each person and what they use the car for. coils or air both is gangsta. but im leaning towards coils now.

as far as the shop its more of everything at cost which i would be saving alot of money.. i need to discuss further with the shop manager.

he has a vip y33 as his daily and running the JICs.. but now he is making the switch to air. but his car is in alot more car shows then mine will be in.

thanks ALOT man for all your help and opinions much appreciated! hope to post pics here soon
Old 02-19-09, 03:57 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
yeah JIC's go effing low. I got stuck on the alignment rack too.. the freakin workers were laughing their asses off, I was spinning tires all day on that thing
at least they try to rack yours. they just look at my car and say take it somewhere else LOL maybe cause my buddy works at my local firestone shop. LOL
Old 02-19-09, 03:59 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

i love coilovers and their ride quality..my ride is pretty damn smooth..i would say..pretty close to stock..even at my height..i do come to some obstacles tho..speed bumps and steep driveways n such..those are the only times i wish i had air..because i scrape on everything..but at the same time..people look at me and are probably thinkin..."damn hes gangsta!" haha..so if i had to say anything..people get more props for being slammed on coils than sayin ur on air..i get props all the time..not tryna brag..but im jus sayin..also if anything i would have to say..coilovers will last probably 3 times as long as a UAS set up..especialy if u like to ride low..hope this info helps/made sense
well said well said. hahahha
Old 02-19-09, 04:17 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

Wow, i take it that Air suspension doesnt last too long huh... i keep refering to my previous car, but my coils (Ksport) only lasted a yr and couple months, im just gonna take it that i was that one unlucky customer lol
Old 02-19-09, 04:42 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao i would gladly sell my coils to go air... if i had the money to
Old 02-19-09, 05:04 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

My coils ride a bit rough now ive stiffened them up. theyre only 10k / 6k spring rates though so theyre quite soft, but i increased the preload to try and stiffen them and it just made the car handle a bit off, and it would generally be smooth but then sometimes very harsh over things like train tracks and bridge joins, which worried me with my rims.

So i wound off the preload back to stock, and just gradually have been clicking the damper harder and harder haha so its now almost full hard and is a lot bumpier than stock, but still rides & handles well. Its probably no harsher than my friends Liberty Sport (on stock 17s and 45-series tyres) and even softer then my mum's Mazda 3 MPS (on stock 17s and 45 series).

but just softening the damper can make it ride smooth as hell, so its quite easy to get the ride you want. i prefer it harder, just feels 'better' to me, i feel like if my car is low it should be stiff and harsh hahah too many years in S13s i guess!

lol about scraping over stuff, i went to the pub the other week and turning in i got a good angle and *just* kissed the ground, but on the way out there was a drain & cars parallel parked so i had no room to crab. I stopped pretty much dead, looking at my options, and all these guys were watching me frm the beer garden. then i thought ah well and had to just *** drag over this bump and all these dudes were giving thumbs up an stuff haha
Old 02-19-09, 05:37 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonboy0517
im such a noob about air and have to do alot of research before i take that jump.

do you regret or wish you went air instead? besides just to get lower..?
You should have asked this question in the air tucked thread. Well, rephrased to "Do you regret going air and wished you stayed on coilovers." You know those guys been on spring/upgraded shock or coilover setups b4 air for sure. So they have an opinion on both setups.

Air doesn't ride the same as coilovers. For obvious reasons, coilovers are using springs rates at 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, whatever it is compared to an air bag rated at 150psi and only riding at 80psi to get to the same dumpness. It does provide a good ride and handling at the right psi but then you won't be as low as coils.

I've heard that coilovers/UAS is the best of both worlds. I can't personally attest to that as I'm don't have a UAS setup. I've been on coilovers myself and I have to say coilovers are a great but I love my air setup. Yeah rolling dumped on coilovers is pretty gangsta but you can do that on bags too. Also when your parked and your tucking rim or kissing the rim (depends on peoples taste) and you car is on the floor that pretty damn gangsta itself.
Old 02-19-09, 06:35 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^i agree..seeing a car parked and dumped to the floor is sexy as hell!..i love slammed cars..i jus heard of a lot of people blowing their bags cuz they ride low and the bag kinda rubs against the spindle arm and causes the bags to leak after excessive rubbing..

ive heard ksports only really last a good year..give or take a couple more months..but if anything..i would probably go for that air force suspension type..jus to raise the car for speed bumps n driveways..other than that..ride slammed all day..i jus dont wanna be the first to try it haha..but like everyone says..all depends on what u want out of ur car..i chose to be slammed and smooth..thats all states stand..are u in good hands?(dont mind that last part..haha..jus wanted to say it)
Old 02-19-09, 07:27 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

^^i agree..seeing a car parked and dumped to the floor is sexy as hell!..i love slammed cars..i jus heard of a lot of people blowing their bags cuz they ride low and the bag kinda rubs against the spindle arm and causes the bags to leak after excessive rubbing..

ive heard ksports only really last a good year..give or take a couple more months..but if anything..i would probably go for that air force suspension type..jus to raise the car for speed bumps n driveways..other than that..ride slammed all day..i jus dont wanna be the first to try it haha..but like everyone says..all depends on what u want out of ur car..i chose to be slammed and smooth..thats all states stand..are u in good hands?(dont mind that last part..haha..jus wanted to say it)
LOL all state insurance. nice you should be a spoke person for them. slammed gs? thats all states stands, are you in good hands?
Old 02-19-09, 07:41 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

haha..yuppp..too bad i have state farm
Old 02-19-09, 07:55 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

K sports are junk. They didn't come out that long ago. All these junk coilover came out at about the same time if you guys remember. It was basically the same coilover rebranded. I remember from when I was still fixing up hondas/acuras.

Yeah I read a few problems with those running UAS. I think once you work out the kinks you shouldn't have problems with your air setup.

Slammed is the only was to go to. I'm even slammed to ***** in my beater integra. I scrape everywhere. I'm ghetto. Rolling on chopped Neuspeed Race no wait I think they're Sprints but the ride is still smooth for the most part for some reason.

So Rickey I saw you contemplating trading for Air. You gonna do it? That air force setup looks pretty nice but I don't know if it'll really slam the car.

Last edited by dRo15; 02-19-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 07:59 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

brent u finally gettin some led tails?
Old 02-19-09, 08:02 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

I've been rocking DIY 98 tails for awhile now.
Old 02-19-09, 08:25 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

oh..dint kno that..havent seen ur car in a long time..we gotta set up another local meet
Old 02-19-09, 08:28 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

let's do it. I want to see your kit in person

Quick Reply: Picture REQUEST. Non-Air Tucked Wheels