Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control arms $450ea - what tha....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 08:16 AM
mrKophee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Control arms $450ea - what tha....

After a recent check up at the dealership I was told my 92sc4 needed some new front lower control arms. (Actually just the bushings, bur as far as I know you need the whole arm) I got quoted $450ea for the lower front and about the the same for labor. So I wanted to get some input.

1st of all does 140k miles sound reasonable for worn bushings? Also, I planned on doing it my self so would it make sense to replace the upper arms too, what about the back - according to the dealer the back is fine (of course the word "dealer" is synonymous with ripoff in my dictionary, however I got a 2nd opinion and it's the same). So, does anyone know where I can get the control arms for less $$$.

2nd, I planned to replace the struts, I've herd KYB and Tokico where popular for the SCs, how will this affect my ride.

Also some input on tires would be gratly appreciated, I've got 17x9 on it with 245/45/17s (Yok-AVS Sports). They seem to do ok but $180 per tire is going to kill me if I have to sped all this money on the control arms. I've been thinking about Kumoh-712s, they are $120ea. Has any one put Kumohs on their SCs?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-02, 05:11 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some creaking bushings,and was considering making a set of bushings out of some high-tech(30K+tensile strength,self lubricating) plastic that would fix the problem,but it's not to the point where I need to do it,other things to do right now as well.
I'm wondering if I should just get someone to make a few sets and sell them either here or on the Supra forum?
Old 02-11-02, 05:47 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

I just had mine replaced today on my GS 400, I paid 950 CND for both with labour. Check the price out again cause that sounds like CND funds!. Unless the SC's are that much more.
Old 02-12-02, 02:01 AM
trebien
Driver

Kumho are a good tire for the money. The tend to get noisier as they wear, but you can't do much better for the money.
Old 02-12-02, 07:46 AM
mrKophee
Driver School Candidate

Navaz, I think in your case you just replaced the bushings. As far as I know no one makes just bushings for the SC so I need the whole control arm.
Old 02-12-02, 01:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, i've been told the bushings aren't available separately, but i'm pretty sure you can get a better price on the arms, talk to Carson. As far as $85/hr for Lexus labour (here in NY at least) don't even get me started. Hope you trust your local dealer, mine is worthless. The rear CA bushings wear earlier than the fronts, but at 140K, it's definitely feasible. As far as the Kumho Ecsta 712, i've tried many tyres, they are the best bang for the buck, same carcass as the V700 Victoracer, a respected autoX tyre, how can you argue with that? Matter of fact, there's a wide sweeping exit ramp that I love to push the limits on, handles great at the edge with the staggered setup, I got a bit too curious last night and accelerated past 80mph through this ramp, thinking how i'd never fully spun the car since I put the Kumho Supras on. Sure enough, big time oversteer, Luthor rotated 90degrees instantly to the right, and was trying for that next 90degrees so the b@stard could spin me. As I eased off the accelerator, turned in, and rapidly back out, it slid right back into place, clean and perfect, I could not believe this thing let me manhandle it like that, 85mph powerslide, it was so perfect, made me feel like a drift king. My Yokohama A008's never let me do that, nor my 305/30 Mickeys.
Attached Thumbnails Control arms 0ea - what tha....-compressed-rear-view.jpg  
Old 02-12-02, 04:37 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I am not questioning the diagnosis of the front end lower control arms. However, before you try to get rid of the "creak" or "Squeak" by that drastic a move, make sure the three bolts on each of the front end shock towers are torqued to the correct torque rating. After I had my Tokicos put on the front, my SC400 started to exhibit a mild squeak in the front end when I left the driveway, went over a speed bump or other abrupt dip.

When I brought it back to the dealer, the head mechanic did remember that they put the Tokicos on the front and and suggested that he check the torque on the tower bolts. He did so and sure enough the squeak did go bye bye. Once the shocks set and springs set the torque can change apparently.

I have recently read another report here of the same thing. Sadly, this guy had the sway bars, bushings, control arms and all replaced only to find that the tower bolts were needing the deed. I think this post was on the main forum page...
Old 02-13-02, 01:51 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you might to try Energy Suspension and see if they have one that fits...(they have some universal ones)
Old 02-27-02, 08:28 PM
LEX92SC4
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced the control arm bushings, upper and lower for $300.00 from a place in Australia. If I was to do it again, which I would never! I would replace with OEM parts. When I was replacing them, I noticed my ball joints were borderline. The ball joints are part of the control arm and can't be replaced seperately, or I should say as far as I know. So take it from me, get original parts from dealer, Irontoad.com has good prices. I will also tell you that the bushings are of great quality but the ride is much harder now and my car is going to start falling apart because of it. By the way, my SC has 145k. One other thing, trying to remove the old bushings is a pain in the ***, it's not worth the money I saved. Good luck, Andy