Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F Sport Sway Bars or Rear Member Brace?? Which makes most difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 08:29 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F Sport Sway Bars or Rear Member Brace?? Which makes most difference?

Can somebody tell me if they could only purchase ONE, which gives the most significant improvement and why?
Old 05-15-08, 09:13 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sway bars first. Why? It would take all day to go into it. The brace will "clean-up" any twisting/binding in extreme conditions which you typically will never experience unless to are on a track. The sways will give immediate improvement under daily driving. They will keep the tires flat on the road and reduce the "diving" into turns. Turning becomes more responsive.

My 350 dives like crazy and has annoying understeer (I'm an Auto-X'r). Sways, if adjusted correctly, can alleviate this. I'm assuming the F-Sport sways are all tuned to work together - but thats an assumption on my part.

If you will never see track time, the brace is added weight; IMO. Get the springs and sways and you should be good for daily driving. Light track use, you can upgrade the dampeners; too.
Old 05-16-08, 10:08 AM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^agreed.

the chassis of the IS didnt need any reinforcing for the V8 IS F so i dont see why the IS X50 needs a brace.

sways all the way.
Old 05-16-08, 10:31 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also agree that sways should be on the car before the braces. The car felt much flatter in corners with just the sways and no other mods and there is a real noticeable difference. I doubt the braces will change the feel as dramatically. I'm getting my F- shocks/springs installed right now as I am typing this but have a feeling that after time maybe the firmer suspension will start taxing the chassis even with normal driving. If I feel the car getting 'looser' and feel more flexing over time then I'll start getting the braces to firm up everything again.
Old 05-16-08, 11:44 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random question for you folks running sways (from any mfr):

Do the sways make any noticeable difference with the side-to-side bouncing? Typically, when you go over uneven bumps (left is different from right), you get the 'head-bob' movement where your head goes back and forth as the car bounces left to right. Do you notice that the car 'spreads' the reaction more evenly from side to side to help eliminate the 'head bob'?
Old 05-16-08, 12:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure what you're saying.. never noticed how my head moves when going over imperfections but the sways have upgraded urathane bushings which are firmer than the stock rubber ones. As a result I think I can actually feel the road imperfections slightly more than before as the two sides of the car seem kind of more connected. Whether that makes your head bob or not I dunno..