Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan LP Coils vs. Teins CS Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 12:37 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
Why would you get the Teins? because of name brand recognition?
I went with the megans because they are cheaper (1), they dont require you to reuse the OEM rear strut hat, like the Teins and Tanabe's (2), it's a monotube strut, (3) the shock body is threaded and moves the shock up and down, it doesn't move the spring up and down so your not bottoming out the shock, and allows adjustable pre-load on the spring. Did I mention they are much cheaper than the "name brand" coilovers?
I've owned many big name coilover set ups, and the Megans are just as good as any of them.

I've had the Megans on my car for 3 weeks, I've adjusted the ride height a dozen times trying to get it where I want it and played with the dampening to dial in a comfortable yet firm ride.... I told myself I was never going to do coilovers on a street car again because having the ability to adjust them only makes you want to tinker with it, but for $850 it is at about the same price as the H&R/F-sport set up I was originally going to get.

Get the Megans, forget about the big name brand crapola and enjoy....
I'm glad to hear you got your Megan's on! I'm leaning more towards the Megan's, and away from the TEIN CS's, with every post of yours. What settings are you on with the dampers? How similar, and how different is the ride compared to stock??? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 05-15-08, 12:38 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'm glad to hear you got your Megan's on! I'm leaning more towards the Megan's, and away from the TEIN CS's, with every post of yours. What settings are you on with the dampers? How similar, and how different is the ride compared to stock??? Thanks in advance for your response.
Im riding on 26 front and 23 rear.. Love it
Old 05-15-08, 12:46 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Hey VIS250P how does it ride compared to stock, on the freeway, over bumps, cornering, etc? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks!
Old 05-15-08, 01:43 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Do anyone have pictures of megal coils on their ride? i am now considering megans over teins.
Old 05-15-08, 02:18 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Do anyone have pictures of megal coils on their ride? i am now considering megans over teins.
this from VIS250P on isfanatics.com (he's on CL too)
http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031
the picture he has is full drop. and its hecka slammed.
Old 05-15-08, 03:27 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

been readping some reviews here and there
people say the megans ride rough. like, its a noisy ride. i quote "its not as quiet as a lexus should be" dont remmeber who said it. but i have an exhaust and intake...so mos def my car is not as quiet as lexus should be.
people with megan coils...is there a lot of road noise due the the fact that it is all metal and no rubber??
Old 05-15-08, 05:58 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

I rode on Megan coilover about 5 months.. I dont hear any noisy ride.. I dont know why few people complain about Megan quality suck.. But hey, have u try them on before? NO I dont think so.. Buy them and see how the ride is.. My fiancee, my fiancee best friend, her 1 years old boy and I ride in my car and they never complain about the ride rough.. They love my ride and people catch their eye at my car because the car sat soo low LOL.. GO LOW OR GO HOME!! I will take some pics soon when the JDM visor arrive tomorrow.. I cant wait

Last edited by VIS250P; 05-15-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 10:17 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 in the front and 20 in the back, slightly stiffer than stock, but still comfy No more nose diving under hard braking, took out a lot of the body roll.
been readping some reviews here and there
people say the megans ride rough. like, its a noisy ride. i quote "its not as quiet as a lexus should be" dont remmeber who said it. but i have an exhaust and intake...so mos def my car is not as quiet as lexus should be.
people with megan coils...is there a lot of road noise due the the fact that it is all metal and no rubber??
Yeah, the road noise levels have gone up a bit, but it was to be expected considering the mushball OEM set up coming out and the pillowballs and urethane busings going back in, but it's nothing I'm going to complain about.
Old 05-15-08, 10:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VIS250P
I rode on Megan coilover about 5 months.. I dont hear any noisy ride..
hahahaha +1

Last edited by llamaboiz; 05-15-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 10:24 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

jw...how do you break-in new coils??
do i have to drive carefully or can i make some hard-*** turns??
You don't have to break them in. A drive around the block will settle the suspension arm bushings back into place (springs don't settle), and then get an alighnment. Your good to go.

my question for the megan guys, how low can you go? pics?
Out of the box without any adjustment it was tucking tire, I drove around like that for a few days before I raised it up (I thought it looked kind of dumb).
Old 05-16-08, 08:35 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

So it comes from the manufacturer set on 2"-3" drop? I'll have to adjust those way up before I put them on.
Old 05-17-08, 01:06 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
thing about the ride, because it can go lower it uncompresses the spring at full slam, if i raise the car a bit more *thus compressing the spring* im sure it'll be ride much better, but there in lies the catch22... because you can go lower you will and thus uncompress the springs more than the CS... so yes, the CS will feel better because you cant go as low as SS, but you wont look as good as the SS... as with any mod there is a balance that only you can determine

im sure if i raise my car to the CS max drop height and play with the dampener settings it will ride just as good and maybe even better than the CS.
how low did you do your SS?? with being so low, how is ride quality?? the SS drop a little more than the CS so im assuming its not as bad as it seems. now im considering the SS instead of megans and CS. HAHAH
Old 05-18-08, 01:23 AM
Zanorath
Pole Position

So I was reading up on the Megan LP series and it says it offers camber correction? I thought the 2IS didn't have camber correction, is this a solution? or misleading advertising?