Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 03:21 PM
blake0387
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could explain the noise, but it just seems odd that the rattle would manifest itself only after the installation of the springs/shocks. The theory does go along well with the inconsistencies though. I'm sure it takes a different amount of stiffness from car to car in order to make the parking brake assembly come into contact with something.
Old 05-21-08, 04:36 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just a thought...

Any chance the noise can be coming from the rear brake and/or emergency brake cable??

The stiffer setup can be causing these parts to vibrate/chatter/clank when going over bumps via slow speeds... ex: Like the little white lane change bumps..

My brand new IS did this for about 2 months on slow speeds.. till I got a tip on this issue..

For approx 7 days, I buried my emergency brake pedal (when parked) which helped the issue greatly for me.. 99% gone.

My car has the OEM Sport Suspension.. At first I too thought it was spring/shock related..

But being that there are inconstancies here, it just might be that loose brake cable that needs adjusting / tightening..

Those of you with the issue, when you park your car for long periods of time or overnight, fully engage your e-brake pedal..
Then when you take your car for its first drive, see if the noise is still there.

Good Luck
Joe Z
Thanks for posting! My clunk noise occurs when I am traveling from medium-high speeds (40-80 mph) and when there is a significant bump or dip. From your post it sounds like the noise only occurred when you were driving slow. I think only AznJason has the noise when driving slowly. Plus I use my e-brake frequently.

I am taking in the car next Thursday to have them check it out. Will update this thread at that time.

Last edited by VikH; 05-22-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 04:58 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Okay I just found out I also have this clunk noise when I drive really slow as in parking lot speed and going over big bumps. I got the F-Sport springs on stock shocks. Anybody try carchitect's coil spring spacer solution?
Old 05-21-08, 08:59 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I'm curious what the coil spring spacer is... is it the same as Tein's "rubber silencer" or is it something that goes elsewhere?
Old 05-22-08, 07:04 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just a thought...

Any chance the noise can be coming from the rear brake and/or emergency brake cable??

The stiffer setup can be causing these parts to vibrate/chatter/clank when going over bumps via slow speeds... ex: Like the little white lane change bumps..

My brand new IS did this for about 2 months on slow speeds.. till I got a tip on this issue..

For approx 7 days, I buried my emergency brake pedal (when parked) which helped the issue greatly for me.. 99% gone.

My car has the OEM Sport Suspension.. At first I too thought it was spring/shock related..

But being that there are inconstancies here, it just might be that loose brake cable that needs adjusting / tightening..

Those of you with the issue, when you park your car for long periods of time or overnight, fully engage your e-brake pedal..
Then when you take your car for its first drive, see if the noise is still there.

Good Luck
Joe Z
Interesting, worth a try. I've never used my e-brake before.

I only get noise when driving over really rough roads or going fast on speedbumps, but I usually just slow down when presented with these situations.
Old 05-22-08, 02:41 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a sneaky ****, for the past 2 days I've been wonder is my car so stiff that when I go over man holes I can rattle the man hole cover cuz I hear a big metallic sounding CLUNK from my rear passenger side.

So I drove today running over man holes with a bit of a dip around 40 ish mph on my driver side, then passenger side, and run over man holes with a bit heavier dip around 5-10 mph on both sides... and I only hear a clunk from my rear passenger side.

And I am driving by myself. Funny how we all have the same issue lol
Old 05-22-08, 07:49 PM
blake0387
Driver

I'm trying the parking brake fix for now but I still look forward to what Vik found out at the dealership.
Old 05-22-08, 08:45 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blake0387
I'm trying the parking brake fix for now but I still look forward to what Vik found out at the dealership.
I will know next Thursday, but I am not hopeful. Seems like it is normal from the poll results.

For the people that do not hear anything: Did your shop do anything different from the install procedure? If you installed them yourself, did you do anything different from the instructions?

Thanks,
Vik
Old 05-24-08, 09:52 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

I tried the parking brakes and it seems to really help? Seems like there's less noise. Might need to do more testing.
Old 05-25-08, 10:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OutCaster
I tried the parking brakes and it seems to really help? Seems like there's less noise. Might need to do more testing.
No more testing needed...

Just keep the P-Brake fully engaged when you have the car parked overnight or during the day when your at work... for the next few days..

If the noise is still there but faint, you might have to bring it in to the dealership for P-Brake cable adjustment..

Joe Z
Old 05-26-08, 11:49 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Actually I don't think it fixed it.
Old 05-26-08, 01:50 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Man, this really sucks. I was just about to pull the trigger on some of these springs and now I am not sure. Guess I will wait a bit to see if more people have the same issue.
Old 05-26-08, 03:05 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
^Hmm, that's interesting Joe. I've never had any noises of this sort, but I ALWAYS use my e-brake when parked - that could be why!

Javier
Same here. I never leave the car w/o the parking brake applied. I simply don't trust the parking prawl on the transmission. Oh and my parking brake shoes and parking brake pedal both have been readjusted to take away the slack.

I'm not sure how many spacers you may need to keep the springs from contacting each other.
Old 05-26-08, 05:51 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

makes me want to go back to stock
Old 05-26-08, 08:09 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OutCaster
makes me want to go back to stock
Really? My noise is not noticeable because it sounds like a rock hit the under carriage. It only occurs on certain large bumps and at medium to high speed. I usually need the music off to hear the noise properly as well. Anyways, I will get it checked out this Thursday, but if they can't fix it then it's not a big deal.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?