Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 08:29 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Really? My noise is not noticeable because it sounds like a rock hit the under carriage. It only occurs on certain large bumps and at medium to high speed. I usually need the music off to hear the noise properly as well. Anyways, I will get it checked out this Thursday, but if they can't fix it then it's not a big deal.
Same here, I won't go back to stock even if this issue remains unresolved. In my case I only hear it when I go over large speed bumps at very slow speeds. Sure it bothers me when it happens but as long as it doesn't damage anything I will learn to live with it if necessary. The huge wheel gap with the stock springs bothers me infinitely more than this clunk noise.
Old 05-26-08, 08:35 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Same here, I won't go back to stock even if this issue remains unresolved. In my case I only hear it when I go over large speed bumps at very slow speeds. Sure it bothers me when it happens but as long as it doesn't damage anything I will learn to live with it if necessary. The huge wheel gap with the stock springs bothers me infinitely more than this clunk noise.
+1 and it corners much flatter than before... I could not stand it...
Old 05-27-08, 12:06 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I'm probably in the same boat as everyone else in terms of when I get the noise. It happens when I go over speed bumps and potholes/dips/rises in the road. Unfortunately, there's quite a few of those on my daily commute...

I'll probably experiment with spaces and whatnot a little, do an all or nothing deal. Just waiting to see what the coil spacers look like and figure out what it'd take to get/install them.
Old 05-27-08, 07:03 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

True that noise only happens on certain hazards of the road, it's just I wish things were perfect just like stock. With such an expensive car (at least to me it is) and having that noise makes me feel the car isn't as prestigious as it is. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the drop looks, much better than stock, but just knowing there might be a sound on certain hazards eats me alive. Just like people get bothered by the driver's side being lower.

I guess as long as the noise doesn't get worse AND the noise isn't part of the something harming the suspension, I'll live.

What I'd like to do is get 3 ISx50s together, 2 with f-sport springs and 1 stock. To compare ride quality and see if the 2 f-sport springs get the same noise over same road.

Last edited by OutCaster; 05-27-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 12:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OutCaster
Actually I don't think it fixed it.

Sorry.. I was hoping that was the issue you guys were experiencing..

Believe you me, when my car was new I heard what sounded like suspension clanking.. only to find out it was the P-Brake cable issue..

Jz
Old 05-29-08, 02:44 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

So I took my car in today. I did a ride-along with a tech and of course we didn't hear the noise at all!!! I have an idea that with other passengers the noise is reduced. The tech is going to do some highway runs and let me know tomorrow.
Old 05-29-08, 03:19 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Vik, do you experience the noise at very slow speeds over speed bumps as in a parking lot?
Old 05-29-08, 03:37 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Vik, do you experience the noise at very slow speeds over speed bumps as in a parking lot?
I thought the noise did not happen at low speeds, but I recently went over a set of speed bumps and I heard it once. However, I tried to duplicate the noise and it wouldn't do it.

I will update you guys tomorrow with what they find out. They are going to put the car up on the lift and make sure everything looks tight.
Old 05-29-08, 05:30 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

i think for me, i can produce the sound easily on speed bumps .. wish someone had the f-sport and lived in austin, tx or houston, tx so that we can compare sounds.
Old 05-30-08, 12:47 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Okay, Weird:

Got the car back today. They had 2 technicians and one SA drive the car. No one could hear anything. I told them to drive on the highway and they still could not hear anything. They put the car on the lift and rechecked everything. They said the suspension and shocks were installed/working properly. I just drove the car back 30 miles w/o music on the highway and over speed bumps and I could not hear anything. What the heck???????????? So I am just gonna let it go.

Verdict: Normal (at least for me) since I rarely hear the sound and it is not noticeable.

On the plus side, they replaced one of my park assist sensors that was corroded and they replaced my HID bulb properly.
Old 05-30-08, 02:14 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Vik, I was expecting some great news about a workaround...oh well.
Old 05-30-08, 10:42 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

I had installed the fronts first and wanted to wait for Vik to give us a diagnosis of what caused his noise to finish the rears but i couldn't wait and went ahead and did the rears. I finished my install today and tested it out on the Freeway and over a few speed bumps. The only thing i hear is going over speed bumps but that may be due to the junk in my trunk :-P. Overall, they are great so far.
Old 05-31-08, 06:32 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Sorry guys, I did a ride along with the tech and we didn't hear anything. It is very odd. If they can't hear the noise, they can't diagnose anything. They looked over the suspension and said it looked fine.

I would suggest other people to try and get the dealer to diagnose their situation.
Old 05-31-08, 06:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure it could be one of a million things. It may not even be related to the suspension?

Vik I would like to ride in your car and see how it rides. Since I am on springs only with OEM shocks I wonder how much of a difference there is in our rides. We should compare them to see and share with others.
Old 05-31-08, 06:41 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
I am sure it could be one of a million things. It may not even be related to the suspension?

Vik I would like to ride in your car and see how it rides. Since I am on springs only with OEM shocks I wonder how much of a difference there is in our rides. We should compare them to see and share with others.
Anytime bud. We should have done it at the last meet but I forgot

I can really tell the difference with the shocks. When I go over a dip, instead of floating it pulls me down. Almost like a roller coaster

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?