Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 09:33 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ You don't need the TSIB, if you tell them that you need your P-Brake cable adjusted..

I am telling you guys to just try & bury your Parking Brake Pedal for long periods of time for just a few days... It will fade away..

This thread helped out member "fishnfool " with the same exact clank/rattle problem on his brand new 2008...

He read my posts in here and it solved his rattle.. He was also dropped on Tein S-tech springs.. which have that protective wrap between the spring coils.. (so he knew it wasn't spring related)

Joe Z
Joe,
I will start today by engaging my parking brake everytime I park. We will see after a week if this can be the culprit. Thanks for your help.

Vik
Old 06-04-08, 09:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Joe,
I will start today by engaging my parking brake everytime I park. We will see after a week if this can be the culprit. Thanks for your help.

Vik
Vik.. make sure you bury it to the ground.....

Usually overnight or during the day if you car is parked all day long..

Try it.. & I am crossing my fingers for you..

Joe Z
Old 06-04-08, 10:21 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ You don't need the TSIB, if you tell them that you need your P-Brake cable adjusted..

I am telling you guys to just try & bury your Parking Brake Pedal for long periods of time for just a few days... It will fade away..

This thread helped out member "fishnfool " with the same exact clank/rattle problem on his brand new 2008...

He read my posts in here and it solved his rattle.. He was also dropped on Tein S-tech springs.. which have that protective wrap between the spring coils.. (so he knew it wasn't spring related)

Joe Z
your theory helped me out too! but this tsib just confirms that you know everything! lol

yes i have the pdf but i dont know how to load it.
Old 06-05-08, 02:44 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Joe Z
Engaged the parking brake (all the way to the floor) at 8 PM CT yesterday. Drove this morning around 7 AM CT and still heard the noise. Will continue to engage the p-brake and see if it changes things.
Old 06-09-08, 06:34 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Not for nothing.... I just lowered my GS350 on Eibach Pro Kit setup. I am getting the same clunk as you all described in my front left strut assembly. I get it over moderate to mild bumps on the road.

I did some research and it seems that the Spring is twisting and unbinding over bumps. I have been reading that on other forums (SRT4-BMW-Saab-Caddy-MBenz) It seems that the strut bearing on the upper mounts can be damaged due to over torquing of the large strut shaft assembly nut.

I did a visual inspection of my front end (both sides) and nothing is loose as I mark things with Sharpie markers to ensure realignment during assembly ad sure enough the marker lines are all still aligned.

I am going to have to remove the strut assembly and inspect the Upper Strut bearing on the Drivers side. At first I thought that the coils were clunking together (Like how H&R springs do) but there is ample distance on these Eibachs and it seems that everything else pans out. only think I could have overlooked is damaging that upper strut bearing with the impact gun when I put the driver side front assembly back together. Seems habitual, but I guess damage can be done?! Oddly enough I only have the noise on one corner, Drivers Front.

NOTE: The root cause of the problem may not be seen by just a visual inspection. I am continuing to google car forums to death to find more info on diagnosing a bad strut bearing and "Eibach Clunk"

Just some food or thought.
Old 06-11-08, 03:16 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Joe Z
Since I last posted in this thread I have been engaging the park brake overnight. Unfortunately this is not the solution to my clunk noise problem. I still hear the sound over bumps traveling fast and occasionally while driving slow.
Old 06-13-08, 10:26 AM
fishnfool
Driver

Joe Z
I was hearing a clanking/clinking type of sound from the rear when I went over sharp bumps at medium speeds. I tried burying the parking brake pedal and the noise disappeared. However, I started to hear it again after a couple of weeks. Joe Z suggested that I try pushing in the parking brake pedal when I go over the same bumps, and the noise disappeared again. BTW, thanks Joe Z! I believe I need to have the cable adjusted. Doesn't appear to be suspension related.

fishnfool
Old 06-13-08, 12:27 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fishnfool
I was hearing a clanking/clinking type of sound from the rear when I went over sharp bumps at medium speeds. I tried burying the parking brake pedal and the noise disappeared. However, I started to hear it again after a couple of weeks. Joe Z suggested that I try pushing in the parking brake pedal when I go over the same bumps, and the noise disappeared again. BTW, thanks Joe Z! I believe I need to have the cable adjusted. Doesn't appear to be suspension related.

fishnfool
Do you have the F-Sport Springs? If so, please vote in the poll. So you heard the rattling again and you pushed in your p-brake while you were going over the bumps? Does anyone have the parking brake adjustment TSIB? Thanks.
Old 06-13-08, 12:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I think he has the Tein S-techs...
Old 06-13-08, 01:05 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Default parking brake tsib

here is the TSIB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-13-08, 02:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fluxx
here is the TSIB.
Nice finding the hard copy... !!!

Just recently issued too.....

Joe Z
Old 06-13-08, 03:51 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

here is the TSIB.
Hey thanks for sharing this. I tried to search for it before but obviously no luck then. This is definitely going to be done on my next visit.
Old 06-13-08, 08:53 PM
fishnfool
Driver

Do you have the F-Sport Springs? If so, please vote in the poll. So you heard the rattling again and you pushed in your p-brake while you were going over the bumps? Does anyone have the parking brake adjustment TSIB? Thanks.
Hi VikDiddy,

I have the Tein S-Techs. Yes, I pushed in the parking brake pedal (not all the way) while going over the bumps that usually causes the noise. Since the noise disappeared, I think it does have something to do with the parking brake.

fishnfool
Old 06-13-08, 11:53 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

here is the TSIB.
Sweet thanks! Even though this TSIB describes the problem exactly, my noise is still occurring over bumps after overnight p-braking.
Old 06-14-08, 07:39 AM
kha630
Driver School Candidate

Sweet thanks! Even though this TSIB describes the problem exactly, my noise is still occurring over bumps after overnight p-braking.
it could possibly that the brake cable is clamped so tight at one end that it doesnt even want to adjust itself even with the parking brake engaged. I'd go try the tsib if the symptoms sounds identical to your current prolem. Its free and only cost's you some of your time. At least if you get this problem diagnosed and if it isnt the problem you can go ahead and move on and figure out what is causing the problem. Joez simply suggested that we engage the parking brake over night as a simple remedy.

Last edited by kha630; 06-14-08 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?