Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 07:26 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznJason
I think pisaykotik is getting them done soon. You can double check with him to see if it fixes his issue. Then you'll have two "successes".
I just received the silencers today, I will report back when I get them installed. The p-brake solution didn't work for me.
Old 07-01-08, 08:30 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
I just received the silencers today, I will report back when I get them installed. The p-brake solution didn't work for me.
Could you possibly post pics of the install? Just to show how many and where you placed them.

Thanks,
Old 07-01-08, 11:03 PM
XGenX
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealer for them to adjust my p-break cable and it seems working fine now, no noise...
Old 07-02-08, 12:23 AM
blake0387
Driver

So how did you go about doing that? Did you take a copy of the service bulletin to them or did you just go in and ask them to screw around with the parking brake cable? I asked them to look around for anything obvious and they came back and told me they heard the noise but it would be over $100 just to diagnose the problem, so I passed.
Old 07-02-08, 06:40 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blake0387
So how did you go about doing that? Did you take a copy of the service bulletin to them or did you just go in and ask them to screw around with the parking brake cable? I asked them to look around for anything obvious and they came back and told me they heard the noise but it would be over $100 just to diagnose the problem, so I passed.
You have to first complain about a "rattling noise coming from the rear when traveling over bumps." Then hand them a copy of the TSIB.

This is what the TSIB states:
Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Old 07-02-08, 11:24 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

but if you say you have a rattling noise in the back they might just say well that's cuz you modded your car and lowered it. I think I'll just tell them my car doesn't hold when I press the parking brake (which it doesn't) unless I totally smash it down to the floor. That should make them adjust the brake cable right?
Old 07-02-08, 01:29 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
but if you say you have a rattling noise in the back they might just say well that's cuz you modded your car and lowered it. I think I'll just tell them my car doesn't hold when I press the parking brake (which it doesn't) unless I totally smash it down to the floor. That should make them adjust the brake cable right?
This is the main reason why I got the dealer to install the suspension. However, you should mention that they are Lexus OEM springs/shocks, so its not really modified. I find if you address the problem exactly how it is stated in the TSIB and they can reproduce the noise, then they will perform the work.
Old 07-02-08, 03:36 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How thick are these? I bet they would affect ride height a smidge. I am buying 2 pair of these to put on the driver side OEM coils. I am hoping this will lift the driver side of my car the 1/4 inch it needs to sit level with the passenger side. Does anybody have a pic of what the radius of the silencer looks like?
Old 07-02-08, 03:53 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

from the picture of the silencer on the spring it shouldn't affect ride height.

Old 07-02-08, 04:17 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Oh damn, I actually thought it touched the spring cushion. I am determined to either lower my passenger side 1/4 inch (Preferable) or, lift my driver side 1/4 inch. I can't stand looking at my car sitting uneven and yes 1/4 is a lot, especially when there is only 4 3/4 inches of space in between the tire and fender. This makes it very noticable.
Old 07-02-08, 04:43 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Oh damn, I actually thought it touched the spring cushion. I am determined to either lower my passenger side 1/4 inch (Preferable) or, lift my driver side 1/4 inch. I can't stand looking at my car sitting uneven and yes 1/4 is a lot, especially when there is only 4 3/4 inches of space in between the tire and fender. This makes it very noticable.
Why don't you adjust your Tein's accordingly?
Old 07-02-08, 04:58 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the Tein coil springs spacers on Jason's car, and we had good results. He brought me the coil spring spacers, and i disassembled the rear suspension to remove the strut/coil assembly. If you look at the upper coils, you can see where the dust has been displaced where the coils have touched each other (coil bind). So after compressing the coil a little, you can slide the spacers as far up on the spring as you can. Its possible to install the spacers without removal of the strut/spring, but its 10x easier, and more proper to do the install with the strut removed. With the way the spring sits, the top coil already touches the next coil, so its difficult to fit the spacer in between this point, but its possible. Basically you will be putting a total of 5 spacers, side-by-side, in a loop around all of the upper coils. It may be a bit excessive, but results speak for themselves. Since the Tein spacers come 2 in a package, you will need a total of 5 packages (5 spacers per side). After reassembly of the rear suspension, you must make sure to tighten all of the suspension bushings with the full weight of the car on the suspension, this is important. These spacers will not affect right height in any way. After installation of these spacers, there may still be a chance of a very dull version of the thud previously heard. This is simply the now rubber coated coils still touching, and its unavoidable. Its simply the nature of the beast. Performance parts focus more on performance than noise, vibration, and harshness. If you read the documentation for the F-Sport products and their warranty, it specifically points out that noise, vibration, and harshness are not covered (first paragraph, last sentence). Warranty Link Attatched is a before and after picture of the spring.

Before:

After:
Old 07-02-08, 06:22 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Oops, my sig is old. I don't have the Tein CS anymore I have the OEM suspesion back on, that is why it leans.
Old 07-02-08, 08:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hey RTIS250 how many did u use in that pic? from what i see ur usin 4. i only have 2 what would u suggest to make sure the noise not noticeable? oh and wat size did u use?
Old 07-02-08, 09:49 PM
XGenX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blake0387
I told them I hear noise in the rear when going over the speed bump then give them the TSIB and they fix it for free.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?