Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 09:50 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting pics RT! AznJason, please post up your feelings after a week of driving with them. Let us know if you hear any sounds.
Old 07-02-08, 09:57 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
hey RTIS250 how many did u use in that pic? from what i see ur usin 4. i only have 2 what would u suggest to make sure the noise not noticeable? oh and wat size did u use?
Its a total of 5 per side... it looks like 4 in the picture, but thats actually 5. The spacers are not full loops, more like 3/4 loops. So it takes 5 of them to properly cover 4 coils. If you only have 2, its not going to be enough. If you used them only on the right side, i would just isolate the upper two coils the best you can. But to do it 100%, i think you need 5 per side, and wrap every coil completely.
Old 07-03-08, 12:15 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wat size did u use for the rubber?
Old 07-03-08, 10:22 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikH
Thanks for posting pics RT! AznJason, please post up your feelings after a week of driving with them. Let us know if you hear any sounds.
I've been driving with them for a while. It doesn't change the ride much (at least not enough for me to notice). No clunks on any potholes/railroad tracks/etc. It does have a small thunk (not even remotely as bad as before) when I go over the speed bumps in my parking lot. They're like, 2" high and 8" long. I hate those things! Speed humps do nothing though.

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
wat size did u use for the rubber?
I got the 90-130mm ones (medium according to Options Auto)
Old 07-04-08, 09:37 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

dam i just order 4 more rubber. i feel u on the speed humps i gotta go through that everyday to work. they are shaped like a camel's hump and yes its that huge. i avoid it and if i can't, i go at it from an angle at the side end of it. i'm still dropping my ride.
Old 07-05-08, 01:28 AM
kevintq
Pole Position

DID any of you guys cut ur bump stop in half???
Old 07-05-08, 09:23 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

I didn't cut mines yet cuz I'm having someone else install it, but good thing you pointed that out.
Old 07-17-08, 05:22 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed my clunk..... The spring was not seated properly on my drivers side front strut's rubber spring seats. (the notches in rubber didnt fit the ends of the spring on the top - bottom rubber was seated fine) I disassembled it... cleaned it. I applied a little lithium grease below and above the rubber. and a little on the bottm and top coils of the spring. I reassembled the unit making sure the ends of the spring were snug in the notches of the spring rubber seats. The lithum grease helps seat the spring so it doesnt bind on recoil. just a tiny dab allowed the assembly to operate free of friction.

I no longer have that annoying clunk in the suspension.

Last edited by B.Diddy; 07-17-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 06:20 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

when i went into the get my oil changed i also asked for the TSIB on brake cable and it solved the clunk issue.
Old 07-17-08, 09:29 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

curious, does the f-sport springs require the bump stops to be cut/shaved down like the eibach instructions?
Old 07-18-08, 07:10 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
I fixed my clunk..... The spring was not seated properly on my drivers side front strut's rubber spring seats. (the notches in rubber didnt fit the ends of the spring on the top - bottom rubber was seated fine) I disassembled it... cleaned it. I applied a little lithium grease below and above the rubber. and a little on the bottm and top coils of the spring. I reassembled the unit making sure the ends of the spring were snug in the notches of the spring rubber seats. The lithum grease helps seat the spring so it doesnt bind on recoil. just a tiny dab allowed the assembly to operate free of friction.

I no longer have that annoying clunk in the suspension.
Interesting. This is the first I have heard about improper seating of the spring. I believe mine are seated properly because I had the dealer check the setup.

Originally Posted by fluxx
when i went into the get my oil changed i also asked for the TSIB on brake cable and it solved the clunk issue.
Good to hear. Looks like a couple of people found this useful. I think this is the first step in solving the problem. If that doesn't work then look into the rubber sleeves.

Originally Posted by iialcii
curious, does the f-sport springs require the bump stops to be cut/shaved down like the eibach instructions?
No, it does not require bump stops to be shaved or cut.
Old 07-18-08, 07:58 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

^^^ Dealer can only check so much without removing the assembly and viewing all contact points. I thought mine was done right as well as I did them myself, but I guess I was a 1/4" off on the seating on the drivers front.

Anyways.... its just something to verify. my clunk was HORRIBLE like I forgot a bolt or something its also a common problem in any car forum where u lower a car. I been reading up on it on the web. I decided to inspect and I found a smoking gun.

Good Luck
Old 09-09-08, 04:41 AM
xlegend25x
Rookie

heres the big ques !!

howw MANY OF U INSTALLED THE RUBBER SILENCERS AND STILL HAVE THE CLUNK NOISE
Old 09-09-08, 02:28 PM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

hrmmsss...now i am starting to hear the clunk noise only coming from the back, when going over big bumps
Old 09-09-08, 03:04 PM
Electric
Pole Position

I only have the clunk in the rear passenger side. I got my Tein coil covers so Im gonna install them this weekend on that side.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?