Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

We all know these damn cars lean on the driver side, how does this sound for a fix...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 03:38 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Whoever said the body panels are not hung straight is dead wrong, the whole car is lower on the driver side from the frame to the fenders to the control arms.
lobuxracer mentioned it as a possibility...................

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexus hung the sheet metal poorly and it should be fixed.
I just don't think my entire car, from roof to hood, doors, bumpers was aligned that poorly, although I suppose it is a possiblity
Old 05-31-08, 04:47 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Body panels are straight, the suspension is off. That is why it leans. I don't know how many other way I need to explain it. The frame is close to the ground on the driver side, The A arm pivot where it bolts to the frame is closer to the ground on the driver side, The passenger side rides firmer up front.
You don't need to be **** Tracey to realize the reason for the lean isn't the body panels.
Old 05-31-08, 05:35 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'd prefer to, and am planning on using coilovers to get the car lowered and level.
Bingo! You can use coilovers to "level" out the car, but then use the scales to cross balance it, it should only take minor adjustments, if you can't get the car to cross balance making small adjustments with the coilovers without "un-leveling" the car, you may have to resort to moving weight around or adding weight to the car until it's balanced.

But realistically, that's going overboard with a street car, unless of course you are a track nut.
Old 05-31-08, 05:51 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Body panels are straight
I would hope so...
The frame is close to the ground on the driver side
This is a unibody car, there is no frame....
It's not as simple as the fenders and quarter panels being off a bit, it's the entire structure beneath the outside sheet metal married to the tub (floor of the car) that may be slightly off
The A arm pivot where it bolts to the frame is closer to the ground on the driver side
Are you sure your measuring on a level plane?
You don't need to be **** Tracey to realize the reason for the lean isn't the body panels.
Paul Tracy is a paid driver, not an engineer and would probably say the same thing you are "the car's leaning"... "fix it".

The only way you are going to be able to fix it, is to put the coilovers back on or have quarter inch spacers machined to the same dimensions as the upper strut mounts on the drivers side, punch out the studs in the oe strut mounts and use longer bolts that allow you to sandwich the spacers between the shocktower and the strutmount.

or quit *****in and live with it, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but you had a solution before and now are back to the oe suspension and there is no simple fix....sorry.
Old 06-01-08, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

And he still refuses to move the shock from one side to the other to see if the issue moves with the shock. That would answer the question about the shock losing its gas charge and end any discussion about the problem being the spring or shock.
Old 06-01-08, 01:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sincityIS is not the only member in the 2IS community here that has agreed to this being a problem....

Why is it that other members in this thread have said they had to compensate on the drive side with coilovers for the car to be level? Giggity you are telling sincityIS to put his Coils back on "or" use spacers. I would and do have an issue that I have a 48k car and the car is not level. I had to make some major mods to my car on the rear driver side to compensate for the rims and tires?? Why did I not have to do it on the passenger side if the car sits so dam level??

Regardless how you look at this there is a QC issue with the 2IS. When its time to get rid of my car and the OEM springs go back on I will bring this back to life to see how my car sits.

Another thing is how does anyone know that the springs are sitting in the same spot on sincityIS's car?? they are not side specific and I know my springs are generically sitting in the box. So when they are installed back onto my car only GOD will know if they are in the same spot as they previously where!
Old 06-01-08, 01:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^in addition I am saying this as I know that sincityIS had springs on his car FIRST then went to the coils. I would be curious if they are in the same spot as they where previous.
Old 06-01-08, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by passnu2
^^in addition I am saying this as I know that sincityIS had springs on his car FIRST then went to the coils. I would be curious if they are in the same spot as they where previous.
Or if they were installed correctly or if there really is a QC issue. None of these questions have been answered.
Old 06-01-08, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I deleted two unnecessary comments destructive to our sense of community. While I still have my own position about the issue recorded here, it is completely unnecessary to jab at anyone for any reason. Discussion and debate are healthy. Personal jabs are not and won't be tolerated.

Continue...
Old 06-01-08, 06:00 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
And he still refuses to move the shock from one side to the other to see if the issue moves with the shock. That would answer the question about the shock losing its gas charge and end any discussion about the problem being the spring or shock.
NOt that I refuse to switch the shocks, but the shocks are SIDE SPECIFIC. Its the springs that are not side specific. I could switch the sides, but you ened to disassemble the shocks to switch the coils. I am fairly certain this won't make a difference though since I have had OEM coils and Eibachs on this car and they both resulted in a lean.
It is because the car is heavier on the driver side. I have no clue how to compensate other than adding preload to the driver side, but that is impossible to do without coilovers.
Old 06-01-08, 06:45 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So, to recap this thread to this point...............................

1.) The IS is a unibody car, so no individual fenders are out of alignment, the
whole car structure leans.
2.) Shocks are side specific, they can't be switched to see if that is the
cause of our leaning.
3.) OEM and aftermarket springs do not alleviate the lean in our cars.
4.) Coilovers, or adding washers to OEM suspension are possibly the best
solutions to solve this dilemma.

.....................am I leaving anything out?
Old 06-01-08, 07:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^ you pretty much hit all of it. Turbo_gg you just need to get the TeinSS set up and call it a day! haha...grab me a set too please! I saw the NO car payment thread you posted!
Old 06-01-08, 09:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

NOt that I refuse to switch the shocks, but the shocks are SIDE SPECIFIC. Its the springs that are not side specific. I could switch the sides, but you ened to disassemble the shocks to switch the coils. I am fairly certain this won't make a difference though since I have had OEM coils and Eibachs on this car and they both resulted in a lean.
It is because the car is heavier on the driver side. I have no clue how to compensate other than adding preload to the driver side, but that is impossible to do without coilovers.
So the only thing constant is the shock? FWIW, the only difference in the shocks is the mount tabs for the ABS wiring. Functionally they're identical, so you can swap them from side to side to check ride height. The hats are identical and so are the lower mounts. Don't go driving with the ABS wire loose, but you can surely check ride height just by rolling back and forth to set the suspension.

Another thought - did you disconnect the sway bar to see if it leveled out with one end disconnected?

And again, did you reset the bushings according to the service manual when you put the suspension together? If the bushings are not neutral at normal ride height they will impact overall ride height.

There is still no solid evidence the car is not balanced L/R except you think it must be. If you corner weighed the car, you'd know for sure, it would be obvious from the numbers.
Old 06-02-08, 03:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

For what it's worth, my 2nd gen GS does the same thing when it was stock, and even when it's lowered on l-tuned springs. The driver side has less finger gap than the passenger. I've learned to accept it as there is nothing I can really do in short of modifying the suspension or getting coilovers.

As for corner balancing, you can usually find them at a more dedicated alignment shop. Most average joe shops will not have the balancer. Time to look up the yellow pages if you're serious about it. The price isn't entirely cheap though. Expect to pay ~$250 for corner balancing/alignment depending on your location.

Those of you who have coilovers and want to get the most out of your setup for handling purposes, get your car corner balanced. Being able to adjust the height is just a perk. Having the ability to corner balance your vehicle is where the money and gold is at. Then again, most people on here will use their coilovers for aesthetic reasons
Old 06-02-08, 06:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

And again, did you reset the bushings according to the service manual when you put the suspension together? If the bushings are not neutral at normal ride height they will impact overall ride height.
can someone please post a pic of this? I was there when the Tech at the dealer installed my springs. I only had springs installed and stayed with the OEM set up. So this still would have required the bushing to be reset?

Lets say the Tech did not do this?? Can I do this in my garage if I have the appropriate tools or does the car need to be at an alignment shop for this to be done correctly?

I am curious to check this out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: We all know these damn cars lean on the driver side, how does this sound for a fix...