Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

We all know these damn cars lean on the driver side, how does this sound for a fix...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 09:04 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
As for corner balancing, you can usually find them at a more dedicated alignment shop. Most average joe shops will not have the balancer. Time to look up the yellow pages if you're serious about it. The price isn't entirely cheap though. Expect to pay ~$250 for corner balancing/alignment depending on your location.
As this is the first car I've EVER owned with this problem, I'm just curious, what exactly is involved in "corner balancing" ? Thanks.
Old 06-02-08, 09:13 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't corner balance unless you have coilovers. If there is too much weight on a particular corner, they lift that corner to transfer the weight to the corner diagonally. It is a tedious process and for street cars it is totally unnecessary.
Old 06-02-08, 09:29 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
what exactly is involved in "corner balancing" ? Thanks.
The car is set on 4 scales which are connected to a central display, which will give you weight of each corner, front to rear split and side to side split.
There are several different methods but the easiest is to try to get a 50/50 cross weight split from the sum of the RF(right front) to LR(left rear) and LF(left front) to RR(right rear). You need to put the equivelant to your body weight in the drivers seat. It's time consuming and a little bit of a PITA because you have to keep jacking up the car taking the wheels off and make the small adjustments to the spring perch or shock mount height (depending on what kind of coil overs you have) at each corner until you reach as close to the 50/50 cross weight split as you can.
A set of scales costs upwards of $1000, that's why you want to rent or borrow the scales. It's worth it, if you laid out the cash to get coilovers, you might as well take advantage of the adjustability, not just for fashion/appearance sake.

Last edited by Giggity; 06-02-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 02:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well tell me what needs to be done and checked out here. Since I am putting the OEM springs back on, not sure if they will end up where they where originally. But I will measure all I can while the car is in the air and please explain reseting the bushing and what is required? I will then give you the specs I get one last time before I part ways with the car. sincityIS this will give you a comparo since we both seem to have run into the same conclusion here not comparing stock to stock!
Old 06-02-08, 03:14 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds good keep us posted
Old 06-02-08, 04:20 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Giggity for your discription of the corner balancing process. That sounds like the best process to get the car balanced to optimize handling. When I get my coilovers, I'll look into getting this done.
Old 06-02-08, 08:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Well tell me what needs to be done and checked out here. Since I am putting the OEM springs back on, not sure if they will end up where they where originally. But I will measure all I can while the car is in the air and please explain reseting the bushing and what is required? I will then give you the specs I get one last time before I part ways with the car. sincityIS this will give you a comparo since we both seem to have run into the same conclusion here not comparing stock to stock!
If you're going back to stock, it won't be much of a difference assuming they were done right at the factory.

The process is to loosen the bolts on the upper and lower control arms so the bushings can rotate freely, bounce the car on the suspension to find neutral, then retighten the big bolts holding the bushings in place with your great big torque wrench while the suspension is loaded so the bushings are tightened at their "normal" position when the car is sitting on the ground. It's a PITA, and most shops don't do it. Many dealers don't do it either despite the procedure being in the service manual.
Old 06-03-08, 11:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ I know they didnt do this when the dealer lowered my car. Well I will see what I can do. thanks for the info!