Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS/EDFC vs Tanabe Sustec Pro Five/TEAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 06:43 PM
408IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS/EDFC vs Tanabe Sustec Pro Five/TEAS

I can't decide between these two. The price difference is pretty significant. Are they comparable or is there something I'm compromising with the Tanabe since they are much cheaper? I just can't stand the body roll of this car and really want to tighten it up a bit. I just want it to ride at least a bit closer to my e46. Any input would be appreciative. And yes I did a search and couldn't really find a direct comparison between the two kits.
Old 05-26-08, 06:46 PM
408IS350
Driver

Also along with the coilovers, do you think adding the F-Sport Sway Bar Set will compliment the coilovers?
Old 05-27-08, 12:11 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No experience with Tanabe, but I have heard their dampers are not up to par with some of the more expensive units, ie Tein, HKS, JIC. I did however have the Tein CS on my car for about 6 months and loved them. They are 16 way adjustable damping and if you set them at 8 they ride like stock. I rode with them at 5 front and 4 rear. It rode very smooth with less body roll than OEM for sure. If I turned them dampers up I could notice definate less roll and a much firmer ride, obviously. As far as the EDFC I think it is a waste of time because in all likely hoood you are just going to set them and forget about it.
Old 05-27-08, 12:25 AM
408IS350
Driver

Thanks for the input on the Tein. I don't mind spending more for better quality but I just want to make sure they are worth the price difference. Anybody else?
Old 05-27-08, 09:32 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to consider the TEIN SS coilovers if you want more performance oriented coilovers. They are less $$ than the CS's, and only have a slightly firmer spring rate. The CS's have a 7kg front and 7kg rear spring rate, where as the SS's have a 9kg front and 9kg rear spring rate. Now that the CS's just went way up in price, the SS's are starting to look like they may be my choice.
Old 05-27-08, 12:30 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

i myself have the tanabes for the fact that the teas unit ties into the speed sensor. all i did was set different presets at different speeds and the teas unit adjusts itself according to my speed. as for body roll that was taken care of with a set of hotchkis sways and setting the rear at hard. all i can say is that is a night and day difference!
Old 05-27-08, 03:34 PM
408IS350
Driver

Wow, that sounds great! Suicidesam, what do you have your settings at?
Old 05-27-08, 06:19 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 408IS350
Wow, that sounds great! Suicidesam, what do you have your settings at?

it starts off at 6/4 till 55 mph then 12/10 till 75 mph then 16/14....i sometimes take it off auto and leave it on 6/4. no matter what coil over you decide to go with get the control unit.
Old 06-04-08, 04:33 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

hey suicidesam, do you hear any "clunking" noises coming from your suspension? Not sure if the IS has this problem but when i used to own my WRX, we all had a problem with the Tein suspension making clunking noises when going over a bump or certain turns.

I heard somewhere on this forums that some people with Teins on their IS also had the same problem so thats why im somewhat leaning towards Tanabe.
Old 06-04-08, 06:31 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

kschawaii i don't hear a thing coming from the suspension.
Old 06-04-08, 09:56 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

thanks.... looks like tanabe it is!
Old 06-06-08, 10:59 AM
07IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suicidesam
it starts off at 6/4 till 55 mph then 12/10 till 75 mph then 16/14....i sometimes take it off auto and leave it on 6/4. no matter what coil over you decide to go with get the control unit.
Thats a pretty cool feature, wish my Tein set up was like that. Other than that though Tein has been pretty darn good to me, I love them.
Old 06-06-08, 11:41 AM
Hakaida
Driver

Originally Posted by 408IS350
I can't decide between these two. The price difference is pretty significant. Are they comparable or is there something I'm compromising with the Tanabe since they are much cheaper? I just can't stand the body roll of this car and really want to tighten it up a bit. I just want it to ride at least a bit closer to my e46. Any input would be appreciative. And yes I did a search and couldn't really find a direct comparison between the two kits.
I think that either the Tein or the Tanabes would a good choice. Like tubo_gg said, if you are going with the Teins, and looking for a performance based coilover go with the SS. I personally went with the Tanabe Sustec Pro 5. I used to have Tein Flex coilovers on my 2003 WRX and they I was happy with them.

The Sway bars would help reduce the body and handling. I'll be ordering the F-Sport Sway bar soon.

Originally Posted by kschawaii
hey suicidesam, do you hear any "clunking" noises coming from your suspension? Not sure if the IS has this problem but when i used to own my WRX, we all had a problem with the Tein suspension making clunking noises when going over a bump or certain turns.

I heard somewhere on this forums that some people with Teins on their IS also had the same problem so thats why im somewhat leaning towards Tanabe.
kschawaii, were you on i-club, HIIC? I used to have an 2003 WRX when I was in Hawaii, and I was running Tein Flex. I was fortunate never to have had the dreaded 'Clunk', the clunk in most cases was due to the top nut of the coilover was not fully tighted from the factory and would eventually loosen. Also it was way the top hats for the rears was designed.

I am running the Tanabes now on my IS350 and so far everything is great.

Last edited by Hakaida; 06-19-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 02:01 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

kschawaii, were you on i-club, HIIC? I used to have an 2003 WRX when I was in Hawaii, and I was running Tein Flex. I was fortunate never to have had the dreaded 'Clunk', the clunk in most cases was due to the top nut of the coilover was not fully tighted from the factory and would eventually loosen. Also it was way the top hats for the rears was designed.

I am running the Tanabes now on my IS350 and so far everything is great.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was on i-club HIIC. I had a 2004 blue WRX. I too was runnig the Tein Flex and was satisfied with the ride but hated the clunking noise. What was your name on i-club?

i think mine was kscsentragtr.
Old 06-06-08, 09:29 PM
Hakaida
Driver

Originally Posted by kschawaii
yeah i was on i-club HIIC. I had a 2004 blue WRX. I too was runnig the Tein Flex and was satisfied with the ride but hated the clunking noise. What was your name on i-club?

i think mine was kscsentragtr.
Juno? My screen name was wrx-zero on HIIC, or aka Brandon.

Quick Reply: Tein CS/EDFC vs Tanabe Sustec Pro Five/TEAS