Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BEWARE of 88Rotors.com!!! :mad: Please read...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 12:58 AM
g2racer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of 88Rotors.com!!! :mad: Please read...

This is long, but I gotta tell this story...you guys should know.

First off, I'm not a guy who gets off on being an a'hole customer, or demanding things I didn't order - Like you guys, I just want the best deal on some decent parts to keep my baby happy, and little by little, to make some upgrades along the way.

That being said, I started looking for some eBay deals on rotors/pads and had read some success stories from CL members as well as some buddies of mine. I decided to go with a nice slotted and drilled set with PBR pads, and basically coin-flipped it between a couple of eBay stores that had similar pricing. I went with 88rotors.com. They are in L.A., I'm in Phoenix. I figure, cool, I'll get everything in a week.

I won the auction and paid for everything on May 1st, and according to their ebay boiler plate, they were to be shipped in 1-2 days using USPS Priority Mail, to be delivered in 2-3 days, excluding weekends.... Cool.

So I thought.

I figured by latest, I would receive everything by 5/9 and I'd be set. When that didn't happen, I shot an e-mail over asking for a tracking number...No response in two days. So I call and talk to a kid who gives me the FedEx (not USPS) number and I plug it in. I was shocked to see the following...(Mind you, this is the complete tracking sheet after they were actually delivered, but pay close attention to the "May 2nd" line and the "May12" line)

They printed the shipping slip but didn't actually send my stuff out until 10 days later!!! WTF? So I call FedEx to see what was up and they confirmed what I thought was true - the package was never in their posession until May 12. During this time, I inform 88Rotors both through ebay messaging and trying to get them on the phone, about this issue. They said that FedEx lost the package and they needed to file a claim, etc. A total lie.

Not my problem. I said I'd give them one day to get a new order out. (Again, one-way communication - me contacting them each time...) Seeing that their e-mail response was crap, I decide to call back the next day to see what's what....to see if they would do the right thing by me, as a consumer. So the same kid I've been talking to tells me that they are sending a new package, (May 13) and I'll get it in a couple of days.

So, after all that, I finally come home on the 15th and the box is there. I open it up and there were two dusty-*** boxes of some British pads called Mintex, NOT PBR! one box was ripped open. I was like, "YOU A**HOLES!!!! What are you trying to pull?" The rotors were there and looked good, as described. I called and they said, "Yeah, like, we don't carry PBR no more and that's what we got, so...". They would refund my money - $ shipping.

Now I'm fuming, but I need rotors and pads. I check the auction listing again, and NOWHERE does it say anything about swapping parts based on availability, different shipping methods, etc. Nothing. So I do some research on these pads and decide to just suck it up and install everything.

Things look good, everything mounts up right...the pads are a little soft, but good. Everything's good, and I'm getting over it. Then it rains last Thursday/Friday. I'm driving around, brakes are fine. I come out Saturday morning to find this!...

LOOK AT ALL THAT RUST!!! It even rusted out inside the vents!...

I couldn't believe it. It looks like crap now. These things were apparently zinc coated - yeah. I'm sending everything back and getting with ebay to get rid of these guys as a seller.

I've never had a bad ebay experience, but man, this one was enough to set me off and let you guys know! Don't get ripped off, don't settle.

I'll let you know how this goes.

JT
Old 05-27-08, 03:07 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes the seller can take a little while to ship (not too long though) but damn you didn't get anything you ordered. My package took about 4 days to arrive in Australia after it was shipped (took about 4 or 5 days to leave the USA).

Hope you can get it all sorted out.
Old 05-27-08, 11:26 AM
Checkk
Driver

Sorry but It seems like you were just impatient. Sometimes buying for the internet takes time. If you want stuff right pay more at a local tuner shop. You got everything you wanted, rust is not a big deal. But kinda weird on why they would rust when it suppose to be zinc plated. You could just use to brake cleaners to remove some of it off. BTW Mintex is a good brake company. They're OE on alot of Euro cars. They're even OEM from factory on the Lexus IS250 & IS350. From PBR to Mintex they actually upgraded you to a better and more expensive brake pads.
Old 05-27-08, 12:47 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sux, If u need a good contact for rotors lmk
Old 05-27-08, 01:01 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I've bought ebay rotor several times, that company just has issues. Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-27-08, 05:20 PM
frdykrugar
Driver

Consumers should always do research before buying a product. 88 ROtors have good reviews throughout the forums. If you did some research, 88 rotors are known for rusting issues, so you should have painted the middle part like everyone else does. Also, you should know that mintex pads are pretty decent pads and should be happy (as long as the mintex are more expensive than the pbrs you were suppoed to get otherwise, i'd be pissed too lol. Yeah but purchasing online takes a litle time, you should always be paitient. Good luck
Old 05-27-08, 05:30 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i have 88 rotors + their pads..

Rotors are fine. since i painted them high temp black + clear to keep it from rusting. also they are located in the 626 area.. forgot what city but ive been there in person.

so far after a few months on the pad n rotors they are fine.. just SQUEELS like a PIG omg. like geez its loud.. =/ they said it wont be to loud but its loud.. o well switching to ceramics later on the road.
Old 05-27-08, 06:29 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
i have 88 rotors + their pads..

Rotors are fine. since i painted them high temp black + clear to keep it from rusting. also they are located in the 626 area.. forgot what city but ive been there in person.
They're in Irwindale I believe. I've gotten rotors and pads from them before (not for the sc) and everything worked out fine.
Old 05-27-08, 07:17 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
They're in Irwindale I believe. I've gotten rotors and pads from them before (not for the sc) and everything worked out fine.
South El monte =p
Old 05-29-08, 12:41 AM
g2racer
Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys. I jumped the gun a little on the rust issue, but it seemed like the last straw in a transaction that went seriously downhill. Now they're asking me to remove the negative feedback I gave for a $10 refund. What a bunch of chumps.

I would definitely buy online again...just know what to ask and look out for now.

Late.
Old 05-29-08, 08:16 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I been to their shop. They mainly tires in El Monte. However, I think their rotors are inferior. I would suggest R1Concept. They zinc plate all of my rotors.
Old 05-29-08, 08:41 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I would suggest R1Concept. They zinc plate all of my rotors.
^^ x2 agreed ^^.

R1Concept deserves recommendation. Prompt shipping, zinc plated, HPDE track worthy rotors. Don't throw them under the bus!
Old 05-29-08, 08:46 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have powerslots. No rust issue for the last 6 months.
Old 05-29-08, 09:37 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
South El monte =p
They used to be located in Irwindale. I guess they moved to South El Monte now.
Old 05-29-08, 12:42 PM
frdykrugar
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I been to their shop. They mainly tires in El Monte. However, I think their rotors are inferior. I would suggest R1Concept. They zinc plate all of my rotors.
Oh crap, I totally got R1Concept and 88rotors confused. 88 Rotors is still well known but the R1concept is the one that's well known around the forums. Great product from R1 !