Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air suspension installed! New Stance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 02:21 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald
Coilovers or OEM shocks?

My friend stopped by last night to borrow tools (and help) to get their easystreet controller hooked up. those things are cool.

Im liking these more than the Dakota Digital stuff now.....tempting

What parts were used? why didnt u hit up the folks @ VIPStyleCars for all new stuff??
They're OEM shocks. Dakota looks nicer but Easy Street has a better price.

I bought the whole Easy Street setup slightly used from HoeBag a month or two ago. Then a few weeks after you had a crazy sale on this stuff. The UAS bags and OEM shocks were new though. I saved a good chunk of money so I'm happy anyway.

Emerald, why don't we ever see pics of your car?
Old 06-05-08, 03:51 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy

I bought the whole Easy Street setup slightly used from HoeBag a month or two ago. Then a few weeks after you had a crazy sale on this stuff. The UAS bags and OEM shocks were new though. I saved a good chunk of money so I'm happy anyway.

yeah, a few 'people' are pretty pissed over the package I put together over there LoL!!

Hoebag is a cool guy. Im sure he hooked u up with good stuff @ a good price

My Cars: A few Club Lexus Locals have seen the GS3 at shows....I did an intro thread here with both of them but im tryin to keep a low profile this time around.

My SC kinda took on a life of its own. Didnt want to go that route with the GS.

~Em
Old 06-05-08, 05:04 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chrispy... got some specs on this bracket you plan on making for the rear? working on the same setup for my gs but it would be nice to do that during the main installation so we dont have to rip stuff apart again later...

also wondering why you didnt keep the coilover sleeves in and put the bags on those with the brackets UAS makes instead? was there a reason behind that other then wanting to re coupe some of the costs?

my setup will be the UAS bags/brackets on tein CS v2, hoping it will go much lower then what you're showing pictures of... no offense, your car looks good, but my gs is about that low cranked all the way down with the cs's right now...bumpers/sideskirts to ground comparison its honestly about the same...whats up with the front? is the control arm already hitting the strut tower keeping you from going lower? ill probably honestly go wild if this all gets done and it doesnt go much lower with the bags fully deflated then where i sit already..

is it safe to assume that since the coilover will still be cranked all the way to max drop and the bags/brackets installed at that height, that it would be that much lower then what you have pictured now because you are on oem struts? for instance, say im dropped two inches compared to stock on the tein cs (with springs), with the bags on both cars, fully deflated, would i be two inches lower then you just because of my tein cs strut vs. your oem?

Em, feel free to chime in or hit me back thru email.
Old 06-05-08, 05:36 PM
chrispy

I'm not completely sure why my car won't go any lower but after talking to V8 Aristo, I think it's one of the washers in the rear strut mount that's holding it up. There's a brass colored washer that's pretty thick in there. If I can get a machine shop you make a custom thinner one, I can probably tuck the rear.

As for the front suspension, I shaved the cap on the strut mount off so it's pretty much resting on the control arms. Maybe if I get RCA's or cut holes in the engine bay, the control arms will go through and get me lower.

I didn't use the Tein CS because I didn't think it would be worth it. There are many other members on UAS and stock shocks that are sitting on the floor too. I'm sure the Tein CS + UAS will get you lower with less modifications.

Tein CS all the way down

UAS on stock shocks all the way down

You must have a set of magical Tein CS to get that low. It could also be that I'm on 19's and you're on 20's.
Old 06-05-08, 05:42 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

put a kit on, chrispy, and you wont even be able to get that low as you are now, well maybe, but barely.
your car is sick; next time let me drive it so you can see how sick it looks while rolling!
Old 06-05-08, 06:16 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

You must have a set of magical Tein CS to get that low. It could also be that I'm on 19's and you're on 20's.

chrisp.. dont get me wrong bro, your **** looks sick... i meant exactly what my question read as, no criticism. considering ill be using my tein cs with the uas bags/brackets, i honestly just wanted to know if you guys thought right off the bat i would be sitting lower then you if i kept them cranked all the way down when we install the bags... i know theres a few tricks like removing one of the height adjustment. rings on the coilover sleeve and chopping part of the rear UAS bracket down, but im trying to picture where ill be at with just those few things done before we go holesawing strut towers (i probably will anyway) and making custom washers at the machine shop...but honestly if you know exactly what you have to make for the back and it would apply to my setup as well still using the teins, ill happily take whatever info you got so i can just have it done all at once..

as far as the magic suspension goes...i think my gs just looks like its sitting low because i roll on oem 17s a lot (roads are trash here), with 25mm front/30mm rear spacers... that combined with the teins cranked down to the max pretty much eliminates wheel gap from my pov.. when i have the 20s on for some reason even though i stayed within spec on the proper tire sizing, the car sits higher.. ive actually measured it between wheel swaps and its a good inch and a half difference if i remember correctly..
Old 06-05-08, 06:18 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

the difference is witht he brackets. The brackes for OEM 2GS are not the same as the ones for a GS (or any other car) with AFTERMARKET dampers.

The UAS brackets for aftermarket coilovers are just so the Air fitting will clear the perch.

the bracket for 2GS oem shocks slides over and covers most of the shock

**Brackets for 3rd gen GS oem rears are a bit more complex but readily available for people wanting to use their stock shocks.

i'l see what pics I have after the game
Old 06-05-08, 06:21 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome new stance

how do you like the ride quality?
Old 06-05-08, 06:28 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

the difference is witht he brackets. The brackes for OEM 2GS are not the same as the ones for a GS (or any other car) with AFTERMARKET dampers.

The UAS brackets for aftermarket coilovers are just so the Air fitting will clear the perch.

the bracket for 2GS oem shocks slides over and covers most of the shock

**Brackets for 3rd gen GS oem rears are a bit more complex but readily available for people wanting to use their stock shocks.

i'l see what pics I have after the game

see, correct me if im wrong, but to me thats making it sound like UAS bags/oem struts & UAS bags/coilover brackets/tein cs will lower a 2nd gen GS the SAME amount...if this is really the case, there honestly wouldn't be any reason NOT to pull the teins out and sell them because i still have the stock struts laying around... please clear this up if you could Em.. my teins have less then 1000mi on them and im sure they would sell for good money. if im not going to gain any additional lowering like i assumed i would by keeping them in (and the dampening adj. really doesnt mean enough to me to keep them just for that) it would be stupid to leave them installed.
Old 06-05-08, 06:44 PM
tsmithr1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A++ man it's perfect
Old 06-05-08, 06:51 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

The thing about aftermarket coilovers is that the shocks are designed to ride as low as you can crank the coil perches down.

People use them (coilover/bag combo) to control how low the car will sit when fully deflated. Some like their cars to be JUST low enough to drive...and sum like their car slammed when the bags are deflated.

But if youre using electronic system management that really doesnt matter
Old 06-05-08, 07:33 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
chrisp.. dont get me wrong bro, your **** looks sick... i meant exactly what my question read as, no criticism. considering ill be using my tein cs with the uas bags/brackets, i honestly just wanted to know if you guys thought right off the bat i would be sitting lower then you if i kept them cranked all the way down when we install the bags... i know theres a few tricks like removing one of the height adjustment. rings on the coilover sleeve and chopping part of the rear UAS bracket down, but im trying to picture where ill be at with just those few things done before we go holesawing strut towers (i probably will anyway) and making custom washers at the machine shop...but honestly if you know exactly what you have to make for the back and it would apply to my setup as well still using the teins, ill happily take whatever info you got so i can just have it done all at once..

as far as the magic suspension goes...i think my gs just looks like its sitting low because i roll on oem 17s a lot (roads are trash here), with 25mm front/30mm rear spacers... that combined with the teins cranked down to the max pretty much eliminates wheel gap from my pov.. when i have the 20s on for some reason even though i stayed within spec on the proper tire sizing, the car sits higher.. ive actually measured it between wheel swaps and its a good inch and a half difference if i remember correctly..
No offense taken, just poking fun.

I'm pretty sure your CS + bags setup will get you laying frame. I think Lightwave76 is running that setup and his car is super low all the way down. My car was lower on stock 17's than the 19's with the CS.
Old 06-05-08, 08:54 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

No offense taken, just poking fun.

I'm pretty sure your CS + bags setup will get you laying frame. I think Lightwave76 is running that setup and his car is super low all the way down. My car was lower on stock 17's than the 19's with the CS.
thats what im hoping chrispeh...

The thing about aftermarket coilovers is that the shocks are designed to ride as low as you can crank the coil perches down.

People use them (coilover/bag combo) to control how low the car will sit when fully deflated. Some like their cars to be JUST low enough to drive...and sum like their car slammed when the bags are deflated.

But if youre using electronic system management that really doesnt matter
Em, still curious... you have any input on uas/tein cs combo cranked to max drop sitting lower then the uas/oem strut combo on a gs right out the gate, before any type of additional mods?
Old 06-06-08, 10:45 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

UAS on CS v.2

UAS on Regular Shocks

Generally speaking you to get the really low drop take the OEM spring plate, cut off the bump stop cup in the front and it will drop down very good. For the rear, you can trim up the lip on the cone section on the Oem rear mount to get the lower drop.

The main advantage to the coilover setup is that you can tune in what you like for your suspension ride.

We are working on doing a solid one-peice rear bracket kit but, it hasn't been done yet.
Old 06-06-08, 11:37 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I don't think the CS brackets will drop it more than stock struts. I'm running KYBs and mine tucks like Lightwave76's. I actually have a few more tricks to get even lower, but this is the stance I wanted.

Quick Reply: Air suspension installed! New Stance!