Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stock Supra TT Shocks & Springs... how much lower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 09:36 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Supra TT Shocks & Springs... how much lower?

I am curious how much lower will stock mkIV TT shocks and springs be on my sc300 than the stock springs and shocks I have on it now... I am hoping about an inch, but does anyone know exactly? thanks.
Old 06-05-08, 09:43 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

front = 1/4" to 1/2"

rear = 3/4" to 1"
Old 06-05-08, 09:49 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

does it look proportional or decent of a drop?
Old 06-05-08, 10:13 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunahoo
does it look proportional or decent of a drop?
It depends on what is decent to you. Proportional? I would say no, whenever the rear drops more than the front it looks ugly to me. Handling wise, you can't beat the cost efficiency of this upgrade, the car takes on corners more fitting of a sport coupe without breaking the bank.
Old 06-05-08, 10:36 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

would it be most wise to get a new set of springs for the stock TT shocks or would it just mess up the shock in the long run?
Old 06-06-08, 06:45 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

i don't see why they'd get messed up if they are made for the specific shocks you are using. it always depends with the quality of the components and how you use em. if you really searched, you'd find threads dating back to '02 about how members started swapping supra shocks/springs into the sc. it's always a fun read if you like researching.
Old 06-06-08, 07:18 AM
dunahoo
Pole Position

well i have done research, i just wasnt sure if it would be unwise to put aftermarket springs on "supra tt" shocks since they were the "stock" shocks of the car and many oppose applying aftermarket springs on stock shocks
Old 06-06-08, 07:30 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

every mod you do to your car will have risk involved and you are assuming this risk. i have the oem bilsteins from the supra tt on its own stock spring setup and it handles really well on corners and the road feel is more sensitive (feel a bit of the road more) compared to the stock sc setup which is more towards a luxurious feel. i am going with the hypercoil coilover setup because it doesnt drop how i want it to drop and i like it adjustable when it comes to ride height not to mention the reasonable cost involved. read about it in the supraforums you'll find out that these guys know what they are doing. they go in deep into the suspension geometry and spring rate calculations like mad scientists.
Old 06-06-08, 07:32 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446817
Old 06-06-08, 10:02 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock supra spring/shock setup should drop your sc about
0.5-0.75" all around. If you are set on using the stock supra springs you can pair them up with some supra koni yellows or bilstein hd shocks. These shocks have multiple spring perches so you can set the springs on the lower perch to get a slightly lower stance. I believe the koni has 2 or 3 perches and the bilsteins have 2.

If you want a lower drop (~1.2"), sportier handling, and comfort look into sc300 tanabe nf210 with some kyb gr2 or tokico blues. You can probably get that combo for less than $500.

Last edited by TheMole; 06-06-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 07:47 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be the oddball out here, but I will. I just installed stock supra springs/Bilstein HD's on a stock 92 SC300. Transferred the stock perches and boots from the old set. The drop is significantly more than what is talked about. I'm saying a solid 2" in the front. I'm happy with it, but it was much more than I expected. Original shocks and springs on the 92 as well.
Old 06-06-08, 09:02 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

i just want to drop the car about an inch... i dont need any more than 2 inches... i am getting these mkIV TT shocks and springs for $150... i wasnt sure if it would be good to put a different set of springs on the tt shocks or just use them as the stock set up.
Old 06-07-08, 08:55 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slappy96
I hate to be the oddball out here, but I will. I just installed stock supra springs/Bilstein HD's on a stock 92 SC300. Transferred the stock perches and boots from the old set. The drop is significantly more than what is talked about. I'm saying a solid 2" in the front. I'm happy with it, but it was much more than I expected. Original shocks and springs on the 92 as well.
can you post pics? what year supra did it come from? 2" is my goal but didnt get that from my stock supra spring/bilstein setup. if you can also post pics of the bilsteins pls. thanks.
Old 06-09-08, 08:11 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
can you post pics? what year supra did it come from? 2" is my goal but didnt get that from my stock supra spring/bilstein setup. if you can also post pics of the bilsteins pls. thanks.
Can you post pics of your car with the stock supra spring and the bilstein shocks? This is the route I am planning on going.

I'm guessing he somehow ot an extra drop my reusing the SC's stock perch? Not sure, hard to tell from his description. Lets wait for a better explanation and pictures too
Old 06-09-08, 09:33 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mteele
Can you post pics of your car with the stock supra spring and the bilstein shocks? This is the route I am planning on going.

I'm guessing he somehow ot an extra drop my reusing the SC's stock perch? Not sure, hard to tell from his description. Lets wait for a better explanation and pictures too

I'll take pictures right before I switch over to hypercoils. I reused the SC's stock perch too on the bilstein/stock supra spring setup...1/4" drop only. BUT, i did not put the rears on, I left the rears as is (stock sc suspension) because it was late already and we were tired. The rears would drop more than the front, leaving an ugly stance, like a plane taking off So if you put in the rears as well, you might end up with a 1/2" drop in front and 1" at the rear.

Quick Reply: Stock Supra TT Shocks & Springs... how much lower?