Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hypermax II Coilovers (Best Pricing?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 10:07 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
it all depends on the way you drive. i know people that have megan coilovers and they drive liek they are drunk trying to avoid every pothole because otherwise the ride is terrible. on the other hand my friend has an evo9 with robispec suspension that is set up for the track and it rides perfectly smooth, even on big bumps. that evo has the best handling and smoothest suspension of any car i have ever driven or riden in...no exceptions.

maybe you drive you car on smooth roads, you are careful, and with most people on the here their nice sc is a weekend car and not a daily. thats why it has lasted you that long. people that drive hks on daily basis would disagree with you.

basically what im saying is that tein is chit and it being oem smooth doesnt mean anything. all it means is that an average joe will ask what suspension you have and be surprised to hear that you have coilovers. coilovers are not automatically meant to be stiff. tein has a ****ty ride because the springs are not matched to the weight of the car and the shock are not matched to the springs.

hks is better but not for daily driving. i have driven an sc on stances and it feel much better and smoother then cars on megans or teins. stances are stiffer at F18 and R12 but they are valved properly to work with the car. the teins are bouncy.

if you really think you can go auto-x or "take corners hard" on tein crap then its your perogative. if i go lapping or anything serious i expect to drive on quality product and not the name that it carries.

mercedes has a big name in the automotive industry but the cars are pure garbage. same for VW and audi. the new lamborghini's are cheap chit "super cars"

anyways....my mindset is on handling of the car. most people want oem ride AND handling. most cases it wont happen.
we get it, you like stiffness and handling, but this guy wants this as a daily and with kids in it, dont suggest him something he doesnt need and probably wont like
Old 06-08-08, 10:45 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tri0 #3
Looking to get coilovers very soon. Just curious how much youve paid and where. Trying to find the best deal. The hypermax are my best choise right now. Not looking for a stiff ride, I use my SC as my daily driver and I have a baby to think about when shes riding in the back seat. If you have any good suggestions for coilovers plz be my guest.
Just get some KYB shocks and strut mounts and you will have a brand new feeling ride, then spend all the cash you saved on that baby of yours.
Old 06-08-08, 10:54 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
we get it, you like stiffness and handling, but this guy wants this as a daily and with kids in it, dont suggest him something he doesnt need and probably wont like
if you read anything that i wrote, and it is obvious that you have not, i stated that tein is softer and i do like a stiffer ride but the fact remains that tein coilovers are not properly matched for the weight of our cars and the dampers are not matched well either. the fact is that if you get a "sportier" tein coilover it is bouncy because the spring are stiff and damper is not matched for it. you buy cheap chit and you get chitty ride. at this point might as well get some tokico illumina and eibach springs and call it a day.

as far as having kids and having a sporty car that is going to be good in all aspects...good luck.

if you want a good ride and something that will get the kids around town....maybe get another car.

or take the baby to the track and have it get use to the ride of your car
Old 06-08-08, 01:40 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read what you said, but understand what his use for coilovers are, you're talking about out right performance, while he is just looking for coilover that improves his ride and are still soft enough for his kid, i think tein offers that at the least. Im convinced HKS makes better coilover (it also reflects on the price), but if you're going argue that tein sucks and everyone who has it has "chitty" ride, i would not be so judemental.
Old 06-08-08, 01:50 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i personally dont care what the OP gets. its his car and his money. if he wants a comfortable ride then there is no need for coilovers. he can go with shocks/springs or gixxer_drew setup. i have ridden in civics, 240's, and supra's on tein i dont like the ride. i have a buddy that use to work for RennArt and is a suspension engineer that knows his stuff. im not strictly speaking from his experience but he has provided me with some great info. thats why i stay away from tein. the only way i would buy them is if they were 500 new. other then that there are better options.
Old 06-08-08, 02:48 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay...... hey guy wanting to buy coilovers...

Which of these reasons are you wanting to buy coilovers to achieve?
Ride height adjustment?
Newness feeling to the suspension?
Softer than stock? Stiffer than stock?

I gotta agree with SC400DAVE here... Get some new struts and new top mounts and you'll be good as new. Save the money.

Tein coilovers, like Pavel said aren't matched properly to the weight of our cars. The ride is not proper. Why bother? Tein got a lot of hype when they came out due to an excellent marketing program. Who couldn't resist the the cute little shock absorber guy?

HKS and Stance are both great setups, but probably not for a baby (although I would. Babys hardly have teeth, and if they do they're fresh...No fillings to rattle loose. They'd just have to get used to it.)

I still think Stance is the way to go for the money. The springs are high rate because our cars are heavy and they seem like one of the few companies to really give a good stiff ride. The dampners are monotube like bilstien so they're very robust and dampen well since they're actually matched to the springs. They have pillowball upper mounts and are of very solid construction. The are priced very well at around $1300 bucks. I'm on the verge of buying a set.

Want to buy my Koni yellows with Supra springs so I have a little cash to put toward a set of Stances?
Old 06-09-08, 03:19 PM
Tri0 #3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thank you all for all your opinions. Im not really looking to get struts and springs. Im trying too buy good high quality or at least descent coilovers. Im trying to build my SC right, looking to lower my car, have good handling and as close as possible smooth ride as it is now. my kid will only be riding with me when I cant use my wifes car plus when she wants to ride in style (lol). I would get a daily driver but Im saving my real hard earned money for a house. I do have some to spend on coilovers. HKS was my first choice. i dont mind teins but as you all said its not really right for our cars. Im looking to get good quality coilovers and willing to spend a little more if I have to. My steering wheel setup alone came out to $800. Nardi and worksbell is not cheap. Thank you again for all your opinions. I think i might just settle on some hypermax II or maybe even the III. thanx again.

Last edited by Tri0 #3; 06-09-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-09-08, 11:21 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

seriously...look into stance