Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

alignment/wheel balance question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 08:30 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment/wheel balance question...

I was curious about this... but when I drive the car is fine under 60 mph but from 61-70ish the car shakes... Is this an alignment problem most likely or could this be a balancing issue...?
thanks
Old 06-16-08, 09:10 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing, it was noticeable but not a real bad shake from 65-75mph only and not as bad on a smooth road. This happened with a brand new set of tires mounted and balanced at local tire shop on stock lexus rims in good shape.

Months later, put on new wheels/tires mounted and force balanced from Tirerack and now it is totally smooth from 0 to over 100 mph no matter the road. Mine might have been a bad set of tires or just a balance issue. Yours might be something totally different.

Good Luck,

Tim

Last edited by Steelwheel; 06-16-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 09:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a balancing issue. When is the last time you had your tires rotated and rebalanced?
Old 06-17-08, 07:44 AM
dunahoo
Pole Position

bought the car used not too long ago... i plan on putting a new set of tires on soon. so im not too worried about it.
Old 06-17-08, 07:51 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

it could be both, but it most likely is a wheel balance issue. When the wheels are off check all the ball joints and bushings for any looseness or play in them. Also check the steering rack mounts and see if they are in good shape.
Old 06-17-08, 11:48 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

A friend of mine had the same symptoms on his volvo, I told him to switch the back tires to the front and the vibrations are gone so im gonna say its a balancing issue. he got all 4 balanced after that. an alignment issue feels more like a left and right pull and loose steering. i'd say get both done if you have done either for a while. makes the drive more enjoyable.
Old 06-17-08, 01:11 PM
clentonz
Driver School Candidate

I've worked at Discount Tire for about 2 years and it could be a couple of things, people came in all the time talking about thier car shaking at XX MPH. You could have thrown a wheel weight...need to get your tires balanced (AND WHATCH THEM) now that I don't work their anymore....they don't exactly balance all 4, or all of them to 0.00. Sometimes they will just throw one on the machine, and zero it out and thats it, just whatch them and make sure they balance all four and don't pull any tricky moves back there. And since your already there, just have them rotate them too, check the air pressure in all the tires etc. But MAKE SURE YOU WHATCH THEM, just go infront/inside of the garage and make sure their doing what you paid for. Usually its just a bunch of teenagers out back with no experience, half ****** everything just to get the car out of the garage.

Also, it could be mud/ice inside the wheel, just go underneath and check all 4 for and mud or whatever, just a little mud weigh's a lot and would defiantly make your car shake at certain speeds...Anyways, hope this helps, Good luck!

Last edited by clentonz; 06-17-08 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 05:59 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clentonz
I've worked at Discount Tire for about 2 years and it could be a couple of things, people came in all the time talking about thier car shaking at XX MPH. You could have thrown a wheel weight...need to get your tires balanced (AND WHATCH THEM) now that I don't work their anymore....they don't exactly balance all 4, or all of them to 0.00. Sometimes they will just throw one on the machine, and zero it out and thats it, just whatch them and make sure they balance all four and don't pull any tricky moves back there. And since your already there, just have them rotate them too, check the air pressure in all the tires etc. But MAKE SURE YOU WHATCH THEM, just go infront/inside of the garage and make sure their doing what you paid for. Usually its just a bunch of teenagers out back with no experience, half ****** everything just to get the car out of the garage.

Also, it could be mud/ice inside the wheel, just go underneath and check all 4 for and mud or whatever, just a little mud weigh's a lot and would defiantly make your car shake at certain speeds...Anyways, hope this helps, Good luck!
Hahaha! I work at ATC CAN03. I make my guys rebalance ALL 4 or I start cracking whips.