Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front end issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 06:27 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default athe subframe is loose

Man,
I am ticked. I wrote a long email about my experience, and it went way out into cyberspace before I was done.

I'll make it short this time and tell you that my SUBFRAME BOLTS were loose.

My alignment technician found it. The manager told him to go outside and tighten EVERY bolt he saw underneath the front of the car.

On the subframe bolts he was able to get nearly a turn out of them. They were supposed to be tight, but not tight enough.

My subframe was dropped to change the motor mounts and I just didn't get them tight enough.

It took the technician about 45 minutes to check and recheck all the bolts underneath, and when the car came down, it has been perfect for over 2 years now.

Those big subframe bolts are strong, and I have never seen anyone snap one of those off. Put some torque on them, and that will stop the subframe from shifting on braking and turning. It only moves a few millimeters each way, but it is enough to drive a person crazy.

If all your other parts have been changed, this is probably your problem. take your time and do it right.

The problem should definitely go away.
Old 07-21-08, 06:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1
Man,
I am ticked. I wrote a long email about my experience, and it went way out into cyberspace before I was done.

I'll make it short this time and tell you that my SUBFRAME BOLTS were loose.

My alignment technician found it. The manager told him to go outside and tighten EVERY bolt he saw underneath the front of the car.

On the subframe bolts he was able to get nearly a turn out of them. They were supposed to be tight, but not tight enough.

My subframe was dropped to change the motor mounts and I just didn't get them tight enough.

It took the technician about 45 minutes to check and recheck all the bolts underneath, and when the car came down, it has been perfect for over 2 years now.

Those big subframe bolts are strong, and I have never seen anyone snap one of those off. Put some torque on them, and that will stop the subframe from shifting on braking and turning. It only moves a few millimeters each way, but it is enough to drive a person crazy.

If all your other parts have been changed, this is probably your problem. take your time and do it right.

The problem should definitely go away.
Can you tell me where the Subframe bolts are located? I think someone mentioned this before awhile ago but i never really paid attention.. Is this something i can do at home or does it have to be on a lift? The mechanic said he tightened and retightened all the bolts but maybe he over looked the Subframe.. Thanks again..

Tony
Old 07-21-08, 06:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by perrychad
i gonna be lazy and not rear the other post. did you change your swaybar bushings, could be flexing when you break, and poping
No i haven't changed them yet.. I have new Daizens sitting in the garage..

Its definitley a shifting/popping sound when i turn. It must happen when the car is under a load such as braking or turning...
Old 07-21-08, 06:48 PM
perrychad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would put those on. i know alot of people complain that own dodges about the same thing, and it is faulty swaybar bushings.let me know if this helps
Old 07-21-08, 06:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

i would put those on. i know alot of people complain that own dodges about the same thing, and it is faulty swaybar bushings.let me know if this helps
I will look into installing them... Thanks for your help...
Old 07-21-08, 07:03 PM
perrychad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem keep me updated, pm me if you want
Old 07-21-08, 07:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

no problem keep me updated, pm me if you want

No problem.. Thanks again..
Old 07-21-08, 07:22 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The subframe bolts hold the subframe up to the fixed chassis. They are the largest bolts under there, and they have what looks like a TORX head. A 12 point socket fits over them and tightens. The subframe itself is between the front bumper assembly and the rear frame that the steering rack connects to. When the bolts are taken out, that entire center section drops down to gain access to lower part of the engine, including the oil pan.

I use a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and 12 point sockets to put enough torque on them to keep them from moving. I lost track of just how many there are, but it is at least 4, and as many as 8 bolts.

These bolts connect right to the front chassis beams. You can plainly see them if you look closely. The bolt straight up into the chassis.
Old 07-21-08, 07:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by gserep1
The subframe bolts hold the subframe up to the fixed chassis. They are the largest bolts under there, and they have what looks like a TORX head. A 12 point socket fits over them and tightens. The subframe itself is between the front bumper assembly and the rear frame that the steering rack connects to. When the bolts are taken out, that entire center section drops down to gain access to lower part of the engine, including the oil pan.

I use a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and 12 point sockets to put enough torque on them to keep them from moving. I lost track of just how many there are, but it is at least 4, and as many as 8 bolts.

These bolts connect right to the front chassis beams. You can plainly see them if you look closely. The bolt straight up into the chassis.
Thanks.. I'm a little confused but i should be able to see them with the car jacked up i guess...