Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Do i need shocks to go with eibach kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 11:31 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need shocks to go with eibach kit?

hey guys, i wanted to lower my is250awd on the eibach kit, and when i talked to my local mechanic he said i'd need to buy aftermarket shocks.. i searched for it in this forum and only found one topic on it and it wasnt too thorough so i was hoping to get a clearer answer.. do i need the shocks? if so why, can the stock shocks not handle a stiffer spring setting? and what are some good options for shocks, i have a feeling that after shocks/springs/install i might be close to just getting coilovers, or not spending all that money lol
thanks for any help
Old 06-27-08, 12:07 PM
Ai1080
Driver School Candidate

not true, eibachs dont have an aggressive drop or spring rates. the stock shocks will do.
Old 06-27-08, 03:16 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Actually whenever the car is dropped with shorter aftermarket springs, your OEM shocks will wear out sooner. The Eibach springs are shorter than the OEM springs, so your shock bodies will have to travel a longer distance than before. The OEM shocks are longer than high performance ones because they were designed to work with longer springs. Eibachs have proper spring rates to work with OEM shocks but that doesn't mean they won't wear out the OEM shocks faster. I'm guessing your car probably has around 20k~30k miles after the Eibachs were installed? That's usually how long it takes for the OEM shocks to go bad.

That's why I always tell people to save up and buy a set of coilovers instead of getting springs put in alone, with coilovers you'll be saving a couple hundred dollars plus the adjustabilities of coilovers.

Springs+Shock Setup (installed seperately)
Springs: ~$250
Installation: ~$200
Alignment after springs installed: ~$120
Shocks: ~$600
Installation: ~$200
Alignment after shocks installed: ~$120
TOTAL: ~$1490

My Tanabe PRO FIVE Coilover Setup
Coilovers: $900 (got a really good deal )
Installation: $250
Alignment: $120
TOTAL: $1270

IMO you should sell your Eibach springs and get yourself a set of coilovers. If not, at least get some Bilstein, Koni, or Tokico shocks put in, don't use OEM shocks again, they don't work too well with aftermarket springs plus they'll wear out again within a year or two.
Old 06-27-08, 09:26 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

well i dont have them yet, i'm still deciding, i have 25k miles on the original shocks and springs.. only problem with getting coilovers is they dont make them for the AWD
Old 06-28-08, 11:32 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had the (350) Eibachs on my stock shocks for over two years. No problems, and they're still good as new. What people are not acknowledging about adjustable coilovers is that the shocks WILL need to be rebuilt. And they usually don't last any longer than the stocks on springs, either...

Javier
Old 06-29-08, 01:59 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

sorry but stock shocks are designed for specific spring rate and travel. coilovers are 10x better than eibachs on stock shocks. coilovers are designed for performance, that is why they have damping adjustments as well as ride height adjustment.

that being said, I would rather buy a set of ride adj shocks and match them up with performance springs of my choice instead of going with pre-determined coilover setups (tein/tanabe). however, there isn't much availability in the market right now.

you can go with eibachs now on your stock shocks but i would only give those shocks about 20k miles max before they start to leak. yes you will feel better handling in cornering and body roll, but your ride over uneven pavement will downgrade. That is because you put stiffer springs so there is less compression but your stock shocks were valved to offer rebound at a softer rate. Most people won't notice this but if you have enough experience with suspension, you will.

and coilovers will last way longer than eibachs on stock shocks if they are set right.
Old 06-29-08, 03:27 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Please note, original OP have AWD, to my knowledge, there are no coilovers available yet.

However the information provided is correct, due to the specs of after market springs, it will reduce the life span of your shocks.

Choice is yours, no one said modding is cheap but it will make your car look better. XD

I also have AWD and after a long debate, I kept it stock. I do admire other people's car because of the drop, but I decided to keep it simple and it fits my driving style.
Old 06-29-08, 06:54 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Navigatn
sorry but stock shocks are designed for specific spring rate and travel. coilovers are 10x better than eibachs on stock shocks. coilovers are designed for performance, that is why they have damping adjustments as well as ride height adjustment...
True - coilovers are designed for performance... performance that you won't ever see the benefits of in street driving. The only real benefit to adjustable coilovers (unless you truly track your car) is the adjustability for aesthetics or comfort. Coilovers aren't going to make you go faster around that offramp... On the contrary, the compliance of the stock suspension is much better suited for handling the bumps and unevenness of streets and maintaining maximum traction. Stiff suspensions + aggressive driving on bumpy and uneven streets = disaster.

Originally Posted by Navigatn
and coilovers will last way longer than eibachs on stock shocks if they are set right.
This is completely dependent on how much you slam your car - no matter what coilover setup you use. Coilovers, as you said, are designed for performance, not durability.

Javier
Old 06-30-08, 09:26 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

good stuff, but coilovers arent an option! i have an AWD!!! can i tell my mechanic to just go against himself and install the springs on the stock shocks? or should i buy new shocks.. why dont i just replace them when the stocks wear out rather than buy now?

and what should i be looking for in installation? i found one shop that said 450-500$ which is absurd, and my local mecahnic told me he'd do it for what Lexus does it for.. and thats probably a rip-off as well
Old 06-30-08, 02:12 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scythe
good stuff, but coilovers arent an option! i have an AWD!!! can i tell my mechanic to just go against himself and install the springs on the stock shocks? or should i buy new shocks.. why dont i just replace them when the stocks wear out rather than buy now?

and what should i be looking for in installation? i found one shop that said 450-500$ which is absurd, and my local mecahnic told me he'd do it for what Lexus does it for.. and thats probably a rip-off as well
Sorry I didn't notice that you have an AWD... I guess springs+shocks really is your only option. The only reason we're suggesting you to replace stock shocks while getting your springs installed is to save you from paying installation twice. Basically the steps of changing springs alone or shocks alone take exactly the same amount of time. The springs are mounted on the shock/strut bodies and your mechanic needs to remove all four shocks then compress the springs before he can seperate the springs from the shocks. I think it takes 2.5~3.0 hours to remove and reinstall all four corners, if your mechanic charges $100/hour (independent shops usually charge $80~100/hour around my area), then you're looking at a total of $250~300. If he tries to charge you more than $300, I would say try another shop, I think you're getting ripped off!! You can post a new thread and ask other members from your area to see where they get it done at.
Old 06-30-08, 03:12 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just get the fsport shocks with ur eibachs.
Old 06-30-08, 05:59 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
just get the fsport shocks with ur eibachs.
The non-existant F-Sport AWD shocks?

OP has an awd.
Old 07-02-08, 08:46 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

yeah what shocks can i run with the AWD?
Old 07-02-08, 11:14 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Scythe
yeah what shocks can i run with the AWD?
None. We got hosed.
Old 07-02-08, 11:22 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock shocks only ast 20-30k miles? how is that even a true statement ive got a beater 96 avalon with over 200k miles and it still has the original shocks. come to think of it every part on the car is original and in 100% complete working order and the car rides just as smooth and comfortable as the day i got it. my sister also has 98 LS400 with over 130-150k miles with the stock shocks and they are still in great shape...

Quick Reply: Do i need shocks to go with eibach kit?