Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes problems..sigh

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 06:54 PM
solspeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes problems..sigh

So i did the DIY brakes pads replacements for the front ,about a month ago, a fews weeks later i notice a grinds noise coming from the rear right side of the car.
I took in for service and told thems there's a grind noise on the passenger side. They took the car in and gave me loaner, few hrs later , they said it was nothing, and gave me the car back stating that clean the rotors up with somethihng, so whatever. Took the car for a drive, the grind noise is still there, [it sound like the rear brakes are lock'up]. I brought the car back 2 weeks later for an 30k oils change, and told them the noise was still there, any who , they had the car at the dealership for 2 days finnaly they call me sayin that my car is ready, but the grind noise are still there and it actually came from the front, and travel through the rear ..so im like ?? is that possible ? she also said that i didnt put the metal shim back ,and the EBC greens stuff that i bought for the IS350 are toooo thick and that what cause the noise . But for the record, i did everything corrected 99.9% sure i did NOT throw out the shim, and put everything back into it places. She also told me it would cost me 6 bones to fix the problems that i had, i didnt told her that i did the brakespad replacement myself. Any who , can some one verified me that the noise can travel that far ??? i mean c'mon the darn things doesnt sound rights (the front brakes doesnt make any noise ..period). What should i do ???
Old 07-02-08, 07:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

No the noise will not travel from one end of the car to the other. Service writers love to blame problems on non-dealer repairs. I would sit in the right rear seat while someone drives your car and duplicates the noise to be sure where it is coming from. Drive with the right side close to a wall to make the noise easier to hear, the noise will bounce off the wall. Do this at night when it is quiet. If it only makes the noise when you apply the brake you know it is brake related. If it makes the noise anytime the wheel is turning you can jack up that wheel off the ground and spin it by hand to see what is causing the noise.
Old 07-02-08, 09:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the EBC red stuff on all 4 points on my car and I do not have this issue. Did you install the shims? I only put one shim at all 4 points and my pads had that backing on them. I think they are feeding you a bunch of BS