Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

spring VS coilover..money wi$e need some thought..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 09:15 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
What is it that causes our cars to lean "or" what ever you would like to call it?
I heard this from RTIS250 and it makes sense.

In japan the driver sits on the right side, so the weight from the driver will eventually makes it a even drop. But when they made the USDM models they didnt change the design so the car still leans to the left. It makes sense to me... but might not be the real answer
Old 06-30-08, 09:41 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to save money, get springs and call it a day. on the other hand if you have a little more cheddar to spend pick up a set of sway bars while your at it; it's a night and day difference when you add a set of sways. i on the other hand went with tanabe and hotchkis sways (like i said night and day couldn't be happier).
Old 06-30-08, 09:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I heard this from RTIS250 and it makes sense.

In japan the driver sits on the right side, so the weight from the driver will eventually makes it a even drop. But when they made the USDM models they didnt change the design so the car still leans to the left. It makes sense to me... but might not be the real answer
i thought it had to do with the battery being on the extreme drives side of those cars...
take the battery out, leave the car overnight, and it evens out, at least mine did the one time i had to do that

stock shocks are fine for most MILD lowering applications...eibach will be fine, soft "super low" lowering springs that give 1.75-2"+ are the ones that tend to prematurely kills oem shocks...
Old 06-30-08, 10:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we lean cuz were just a bunch of fat americans and when you drive solo alot you wear out that side of the shocks
Old 06-30-08, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
we lean cuz were just a bunch of fat americans and when you drive solo alot you wear out that side of the shocks
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 06-30-08, 11:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
What is it that causes our cars to lean "or" what ever you would like to call it?
No one can give me a complete explanation of it. It has nothing to do with the car being USDM or JDM. It's just something that's apparent.

BTW The 2IS was introduced into the world as a LHD, then RHD variants showed up shortly after. Same for the IS-F, the 3GS and etc. Mind you Lexus was an American idea, all the concepts are usually geared first for the US.
Old 07-01-08, 03:04 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

IF your not sure..

You should definitely come out to some meets.

And decide what type of drop you are looking for.

Do you want your drop decided for you (springs)?

Or do you want to customize the drop to your specifics (coils)?

It's all about give and take

BTW, if you want to see a slammed car, come out to that torrence meet, I wanna go this week
Old 07-01-08, 03:06 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blk_is300
Oh BTW, you should come to our South Bay meet this Thursday 7/3 in Long Beach, we have several 2IS here with modded suspension, we can show you how they differ from each other.

Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers
Tein CS Coilovers
Eibach w/ OEM Shocks

I don't know what the rest have....
Don't forget to remind me!
Old 07-01-08, 09:46 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

my $0.02 on the coilovers vs. springs debate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=11

if you don't make adjustments on a fairly regular basis - or even at all, then doesn't it defeat the purpose of getting coilovers? after all, the purpose of going with coilovers is so you can have a range of adjustability that lowering springs don't have. but if you don't change ride height or damper settings, then doesn't that defeat the purpose of having coilovers (other than bragging rights)?

again, i'm not an anti-advocate of coilovers. however, i don't believe that someone should get coilovers for the sake of having them and not taking advantage of their functionality.
Old 07-01-08, 11:01 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Its True

Originally Posted by projectdna
my $0.02 on the coilovers vs. springs debate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=11
I totally i agree with you...i mean i'm not going to change my ride height everyday, my car is my daily driving car...im looking at the F spring, coz of the warranty...

I TOTALLY MADE UP MY MIND... IM GOING TO STICK WITH THE SPRING...
Old 07-01-08, 02:10 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Don't forget to remind me!
LOL... did you sign up? I didn't see you on the list. Where do you live?

Back to the topic... I think most ppl who ask for others opinion about getting springs or coilovers are leaning towards getting just the springs. They want to have coilovers but afraid of wasting too much money on suspension and not fully utilize coilover's adjustability. More than 50% of the ppl will recommend getting springs only because that's what they have.

I put Tein S-Tech springs on my IS300 when it had 35k miles, I sold the car at 55k miles, after a few month the guy who bought my car called me and told me that his shocks are gone, at around 58k. I also had experience with putting lowering springs on OEM shocks to my E36 M3, SC400, Mazda MX6, and my friend's E46 325i, and they all ended up with new shocks after a certain period of time. I'm not interested in getting into the debate of which setup is better, just want to share my experience with everyone. If I post a thread about "springs vs coilover" on my Audi S4 forum, I'll probably be flamed to death
Old 07-01-08, 02:33 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

jics coilovers have adjustable camber!

besides the spring rates on the springs out for our car are not that bad so you can use your oem shocks.. if you want to be safe get the F sport setup.. but IMO coilovers FTW.. i have springs and they stink lol

as for tire wear your SOL.. the tires on stock suspension (potenzas, turanzas) give out at like 15-20k anywayss.. so imagin when you lower the car guess how much money your gonna spend on tires

Last edited by Pnuge88; 07-01-08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 03:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
jics coilovers have adjustable camber!
No coilover will ever adjust camber on any IS ever made. It is physically impossible.
Old 07-01-08, 10:42 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No coilover will ever adjust camber on any IS ever made. It is physically impossible.
Listen to what he said!
Old 07-10-08, 11:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=llamaboiz;3645135]we lean cuz were just a bunch of fat americans and when you drive solo alot you wear out that side of the shocks

Thats the issue. you have chronic weight weoght distribution asymmetry that creates more settling in the springs on the drivers side. The bigger you are the more asymmetry you will have. I am 6'5" and 300lbs. I have my 3GS dropped on tein h techs and I have the lean as well. I am getting coilovers this week to resolve the problem. Another cheaper option would be to simply have the shop rotate the springs right to left and BOOM you have an even drop and saved alot of money. The added advantage for the coilovers is to be able to add some handling performance as well as to be able to custom set the drop.