Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

spring VS coilover..money wi$e need some thought..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08 | 11:02 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Post spring VS coilover..money wi$e need some thought..

I'm planning to lower my car and i have an is250 (Xpac) the handling is really good and the stiffness of the car is great. My question is, if i lowered my car I mean may about 1.5inch in front and about the 2.0 at the back (springs depends on the availability of the product) would give me a better handling or stiffness on car? what about the alignment? would my tire wear inside? do i have to buy a camber kit? and what about my shocks? do i need to replace my oem? i used to have a civic lowered it on suspension tech springs 2inch on all suspension...it looks really good, but my tire wears out like crazy, mechanic said i need to purchase a camber kit so my tire wear out in proper way and buy new shocks, even recommended tokico shocks. On the other hand coilovers are adjustable right? do i need to do the same as the springs, with the camber kits and oems shocks should be replaced? See i don't want to do this on my LEXUS, i'm really curious about lowering my car... please put some thoughts on this... especially expert on suspension... thanx...
Old 06-30-08 | 11:23 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

if you only want the look of a lowered car and the slight handling benefit it will generate, then save your $ and get springs. no matter how you lower your tires will wear more b/c the camber is not adjustable...this goes for springs and coilovers. i am lowered on eibach prokit and do not experience much of a difference in the life of my tires so i would recommend against wasting your $ on the purchase and install of a camber kit. as for shocks...most spring kits for the 2IS are designed to work with the OEM shocks. the life of the shocks will be shorter (of course) but not by much.

if money is no object get coils and a camber kit, if money is a concern get springs only...especially if your not planning on tracking your car
Old 06-30-08 | 02:36 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

People with only lowering springs installed keep saying that the aftermarket springs work fine with OEM shock, which is not true. Lowering springs make your OEM shocks wear out sooner by traveling the shocks longer distance.

Check out this thread first:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=363755

My Tanabe coilovers is also front camber adjustable, I think everyone who got Tanabe is very happy with it.
Old 06-30-08 | 02:40 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Oh BTW, you should come to our South Bay meet this Thursday 7/3 in Long Beach, we have several 2IS here with modded suspension, we can show you how they differ from each other.

Tanabe Sustec Pro Five Coilovers
Tein CS Coilovers
Eibach w/ OEM Shocks

I don't know what the rest have....
Old 06-30-08 | 03:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by blk_is300
...My Tanabe coilovers is also front camber adjustable...
Really? How do you adjust it?
Old 06-30-08 | 04:11 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Really? How do you adjust it?
I believe there are 3 positions on the front strut mounts which came with the coilovers. The rears aren't camber adjustable since they re-use stock strut mount/boot. This is what I copied+pasted from Tanabe's website

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/FIVE.asp

Upper Mounts Included

Solid mounting pillowball or rubber uppermounts are included on the front and rear of the Sustec Pro FIVE. These uppermounts also have the added benefit of having front adjustable camber plates for fixing or modifying camber settings beyond factory limitations. Solid pillowball upper mounts prevent suspension geometry changes under various suspension loads.
*Some applications utilize factory uppermounts.

After 2 months of having these coilovers, I still think this is the best bang for the buck!
Old 06-30-08 | 04:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Ummm, no, that feature doesn't work on this car. This car does not have struts, it has coilover shocks (from the factory) and there is no amount of change you can make with the top of the shock that will affect suspension geometry in any way.

To change camber, you need to move either the upper control arm or the lower control arm. No shock can do this.
Old 06-30-08 | 05:42 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ummm, no, that feature doesn't work on this car. This car does not have struts, it has coilover shocks (from the factory) and there is no amount of change you can make with the top of the shock that will affect suspension geometry in any way.

To change camber, you need to move either the upper control arm or the lower control arm. No shock can do this.
I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.
Old 06-30-08 | 06:01 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

+1 with lobux
doesn't matter what upper mount tanabe's came with. can't adjust camber via coilovers on our cars.
Old 06-30-08 | 06:52 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I got some jics if you want! Sorry off topic.
Old 06-30-08 | 07:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.
Interesing. I have yet to see adjustable camber plates on coilovers on any Lexus vehicle.
Old 06-30-08 | 07:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

People with only lowering springs installed keep saying that the aftermarket springs work fine with OEM shock, which is not true.
Is that so? I ran over 30k miles with Eibach springs and stock shocks on my 04 IS300 and never had problems? The stock shocks had no signs of wear or fluid leakage after the miles I put on them in a short amount of time. I eventually switched to Tein CS because I didn't care for the uneven drop at the front. The left side sits lower than the right...as with all the other Lexus models including the 2IS, 2GS, 3GS and etc.
Old 06-30-08 | 07:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I'm approaching 30K miles on my Eibach+OEM shock combo, and they're as good as new.

Javier
Old 06-30-08 | 08:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
The left side sits lower than the right...as with all the other Lexus models including the 2IS, 2GS, 3GS and etc.
What is it that causes our cars to lean "or" what ever you would like to call it?
Old 06-30-08 | 08:21 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

you have a 250, get airrunner FTW!!!