Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Final Rant for AWD Coilovers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 07:58 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Final Rant for AWD Coilovers!

Sorry, but I just don't understand it. Essentially ever mod that can be made for the 2IS has dropped already, I mean we even have dealers now dropping a whole line up of aftermarkets for us in the F-sport stuff...but STILL no coilover setup for the AWD's?

What's the problem here? Is it really THAT difficult to make? We have had several threads up about this already but I'm just frustrated to say the least. There is a big interest out there from probably more then 95% of AWD owners on this forum.I personally have displayed previous threads to tanabe, Tein, and Road Magnet, with no finalization or action. What do we do?

AWD owners, am I wrong?

Go ahead and look at the e90 threads, and the mods that the XI owners of 335i's are pulling off. Full coilovers, staggering wheels, catback exhausts, all with no problem. Seems like my car because of AWD has been a big headache among itself.

Sorry guy's I just wanted to give it my final attempt.
Old 07-06-08, 08:01 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered air? I dont know if that'll work but its worth a shot.
Old 07-07-08, 03:04 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't get it either. but then again, it's probably because people think, "hey, it's just a lexus."
Old 07-07-08, 06:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See its time to trade up to a car with aftermarket support. I am shocked to see this still hasn't been done yet. I thought a majority of the IS owners here where AWD?

has anyone given a SOLID reason why you cant just slap on the RWD coils on you car and give it a shot?? is the mounts different at all??
Old 07-07-08, 09:24 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I think the front + rear mounts are completely different for awd. The wishbone design in the front is different in the owner manual picture, and the rear is also a little different, I am not sure whether is the shock mount, or the part where the shocks connects to the thingie connecting to the wheel in the rear. I know the rear sway bar placement for the rear is also a bit different on the awd.
Old 07-07-08, 10:09 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
has anyone given a SOLID reason why you cant just slap on the RWD coils on you car and give it a shot?? is the mounts different at all??
yeah like mikez said they're different from the RWD's

mrmark tested this theory out already.

though i do agree with the OP that it's due... for the IS and GS... vendors won't make it for the cars because they're oblivious to the fact that there's a market for it... every car i drive by here in the NE especially is an AWD.

AWD car's only option right now is springs or air.... it's silly i think to not make coilovers for the AWD's. so they want me to lower my car but in winter not able to raise my car??????? on a car that's meant for winter by the way.... but no.... let's make it for the car that's meant strictly for summer

<----------------------ranting only because my brother has a AWD GS350 and we don't want to do anything to it because there's no coilovers for it
Old 07-07-08, 10:44 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I didnt realize there was that much difference. Our cars do ride good on springs IMO. Why not just go that direction for now??
Old 07-07-08, 11:52 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Yea I didnt realize there was that much difference. Our cars do ride good on springs IMO. Why not just go that direction for now??
LOL, been through 2 sets already time for some true slam action. Don't get me wrong no complaints here on how the ride quality is, I just want full adjustability and dampness control.
Old 07-07-08, 12:15 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I'm with you there. I want full adjustability. IMO, wouldn't it make more sense for AWD owners to have this function? Raise the car up in the winter and lower it in the summer. Albeit, I have had no problems with my DF210's this past winter with massive snow downpour.. but I digress.. My guess is that they don't think the market is big enough to make a profit..
Old 07-07-08, 12:42 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

AGREED i have a AWD, and every IS i've ever seen in NY has been a 250 AWD, the only 350 i've ever seen in person was down in florida. They make springs, but don't even make shocks, and coils are completely out of the question. Last topic abot this, Tanabe said they were developing an AWD set and just needed a car to test it on, then they stopped replying.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nabe+Coilovers

IF coilovers came out at a good price for the AWD, i'd deffffffinatly buy them

Last edited by Scythe; 07-07-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 12:48 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scythe
Tanabe said they were developing an AWD set and just needed a car to test it on, then they stopped replying.
yeah... i also asked l-tunedparts.com about their coilover air setup that they said will fit ANY CAR...

came back and replied...

"we could do it... for sure... we just need a car to test fit it...."

where the FREAK are they going to find a AWD car in socal? lol.... they barely get rain let alone snow. :sigh:... oh well.
Old 07-07-08, 12:56 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

they could buy one and then pay it back for with the money from selling the coilovers =p, then a tananbe manager gets a nice IS250AWD dropped on their own coilovers. kinda a steep investment (actually not if they bought a used 06 awd with no nav n ****)
Old 07-07-08, 12:58 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

You people bought an AWD Lexus and are compaining 'cause you can't lower it?!?!? I believe that one of the vendors addressed the issue a while back, but most chose to ignore it.
It's not that there isn't a market for it, if the car is lowered more than "X" amount it will cause axle bind. So if you wanted to aggresively lower an AWD with coilovers, it would have to be a kit that included slighlty shorter front axles....
Old 07-07-08, 08:31 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nabbun
i don't get it either. but then again, it's probably because people think, "hey, it's just a lexus."
...Okay, but since the IS350 is "just a lexus" they designed a SC for it? Or because it's "just a lexus" they made full drift car out of it? Don't really get your point here...

See its time to trade up to a car with aftermarket support. I am shocked to see this still hasn't been done yet. I thought a majority of the IS owners here where AWD?

No company has come out directly to give a firm reason. The main one from my understanding is that they do not have a test AWD car in CA to do the R&D on..., and secondly is probably that they're not sure there will be enough people to buy them. Now that's where we step in, and assure them, that X amount of people WILL buy a set if made...starting with me!

Originally Posted by Batmobile
yeah like mikez said they're different from the RWD's

mrmark tested this theory out already.

though i do agree with the OP that it's due... for the IS and GS... vendors won't make it for the cars because they're oblivious to the fact that there's a market for it... every car i drive by here in the NE especially is an AWD.

AWD car's only option right now is springs or air.... it's silly i think to not make coilovers for the AWD's. so they want me to lower my car but in winter not able to raise my car??????? on a car that's meant for winter by the way.... but no.... let's make it for the car that's meant strictly for summer

<----------------------ranting only because my brother has a AWD GS350 and we don't want to do anything to it because there's no coilovers for it
Hmm, not sure Mark "tested the theory." But you are absolutely right, for the most part every 2IS I see here in NY, is an awd...even at our meets. Your whole theory about coils on a car your going to use in the winter should be obvious to them right? WRONG! Guess it's a little to complicated for these guys, but hey..I'm always up to be proved wrong.
Old 07-07-08, 09:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^I am surprised that NO one will step up! I do understand that many did not buy the 2IS AWD for performance but if the demand is there why not do it? Its going to be the same parts but different mounting hardware.

You need to just drive to CA and show up on their door step

Quick Reply: Final Rant for AWD Coilovers!