Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for Stock Ride Characteristics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 09:16 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for Stock Ride Characteristics...

What is the best and most affordable shock/spring setup for the 1st gen 400 that would give me the ride, handling, smoothness and comfort of the stock setup?

As you may have guessed, I'm only asking because I obviously don't have a trunk-load of $$$ to blow at the stealership. I had narrowed the shocks down to either Monroe SensaTracs or KYB GR2s. I haven't even looked at springs yet, because I'm afraid a stock match will create even bigger wheel well gaps than I have now. So I was hoping to find some type of lowering springs.

ALSO - I've read posts talking about coilovers. I'm a bit ignorant on this, so please help me out. But does the SC use a coilover setup or are the shocks and springs independant of one another? If it's the later, how can you use a coilover setup on a car that wasn't designed for one?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-08, 09:24 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
What is the best and most affordable shock/spring setup for the 1st gen 400 that would give me the ride, handling, smoothness and comfort of the stock setup?

As you may have guessed, I'm only asking because I obviously don't have a trunk-load of $$$ to blow at the stealership. I had narrowed the shocks down to either Monroe SensaTracs or KYB GR2s. I haven't even looked at springs yet, because I'm afraid a stock match will create even bigger wheel well gaps than I have now. So I was hoping to find some type of lowering springs.

ALSO - I've read posts talking about coilovers. I'm a bit ignorant on this, so please help me out. But does the SC use a coilover setup or are the shocks and springs independant of one another? If it's the later, how can you use a coilover setup on a car that wasn't designed for one?

Thanks.
If you check out my signature for the SC400 link, that suspension is very very smooth on the road and gave me a sexy drop. Sadly some of the roads here in Yuma are torn to hell so its a slight bit choppier, but well worth it.
Old 07-15-08, 02:01 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

+1 with DasBach. I run tokico blues/hp shocks with tanabe nf springs and the ride is quite comfy and the drop is nice (about a 1inch drop). Just don't expect the performance of a hardcore coil over setup.
Old 07-15-08, 02:39 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCaLSC400
+1 with DasBach. I run tokico blues/hp shocks with tanabe nf springs and the ride is quite comfy and the drop is nice (about a 1inch drop). Just don't expect the performance of a hardcore coil over setup.
Just enough to get the car down to the right height, and go over the bumps nice and smooth.