Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Caliper Slider Pin Seized Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 06:12 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reman calipers is a great suggestion if I can't get the pin out.

We heard from a previous post that the bracket can cost over $100 alone, so if it comes to that, I think I would take your advice and just replace the whole thing VS only the bracket.

It makes more sense to me, too.

I will say, however, that no matter how much trouble this brake job has been, this car is very easy to work on so far, and I am quickly becoming another Lexus addict as I suspect most of the people here are.

This car is out-of-this-world.
Old 07-15-08, 06:21 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V8LexGS
GSteg -

I thought about that, but at the time didn't try it because I was thinking it would damage the rubber boots....

Meanwhile, it seems you can buy them from Sewell for a couple bucks....I am going to try this again this weekend, and maybe some dealership here in Cincinnati has them too and can get em w/o waiting for shipping.

From your post, it sounds like you think there will be just dried-up grease in there, or actual corrosion?
well to be honest it seems as though you've answered a lot of your own questions. WD-40 is definitely a good idea. Spray it on liberally and wait a little while, then tap it with a good heavy hammer like they said. If it doesn't come loose after that, hit it with the wd and hammer again. If that doesn't do it, try a little propane torch and heat the hoops and pin a little, that should expand the metal enough for you to be able to get her loose to replace the brakes. If none of that works, I don't really know what to tell you. just did pads on all four corners of my 01 gs300 with 127k miles, had this problem to a certain extent myself. The wd usually works, the torch is another good option.
Old 07-15-08, 06:28 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

You are right, sir....I have had all my questions thoroughly answered!

This site has been a great help during this problem, and throughout my buying decisions when I get the vehicle.

Thank you to all who gave input, and I hope to become a contributing member as I continue to learn about this car.
Old 07-16-08, 10:30 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this same issue just happened to me about 3 months ago. I bought a torch kit at homedepot for like 35$'s (blue bottle). called up carsons toyota for the replacement pin/boot/shim kit. after heating the pin for a good 20min and hammering little at a time it started to turn but still wouldnt pop out. torched it again for like 10 mins till it was glowing red all around at full blast and noticed the old rubber boot somehow was lodged inside preventing it to come loose. eventually after a couple of hits it popped out.
Old 07-17-08, 03:52 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Question -

Was the rubber boot crammed inside, or was it the bushing that's inside the bracket? What's that bushing made of anyhow?

Mine turns, but will not release from the bracket. Do you think cutting the boot would help this situation? Like removing as much of it as I can?

Do you think you could have gotten the pin out w/o heating it if you had caught the boot being caught beforehand??

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-08, 04:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The rubber boot outside doesn't really hold the pin in at all. There is nothing inside the bracket except the pin itself and some grease. One of the two sliding pin has a sleeve at the end, but that alone wont hold the pins inside. You're able to move the sliding pin in and out of the bracket without resistance (when it's new). If the rubber boot ever disintegrate, it would have falling inside, but it wouldn't be able to log itself in there. The dried up grease inside will look like it's burnt/old rubber.
Old 07-17-08, 09:04 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

GSteg....

Thx for getting involved again......you provided exactly the info I was asking about.

So the crud left behind when the grease dried out looks rubbery...that makes more sense, because I looked pretty good at those boots, and I had a hard time imagining how those boots were stopping me from pulling out that pin. It's all an illusion.

I found the pins and boots here locally, and tomorrow - I plan to get that pin out.

Wish me luck, I may just take a pic and post something detailed. Will I remember, or just get out there and do it and then regret not taking the pics....

It could go either way.....I'm that guy sometimes.
Old 07-21-08, 01:33 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Thumbs up Finally Fixed!!!

Well, the brakes are like new again....

First, let me thank everyone who helped out in this matter. I do appreciate all your input!!

Saturday morning, I took the broken caliper apart again.....I removed the caliper bracket that the pin was siezed into....pulled the rubber boot back gently with needlenose pliers, and shot it FULL of WD-40. I let it sit for around 30 mins, and tried to turn the pin with a 17mm socket.

It turned about 180deg, but then wouldn't move anymore. Better than before, though! So I shot it full of WD-40 again, and let it sit for about another 15mins.....this time, I got it to turn 360deg, and FELT it loosen...I took a screwdriver/wooden mallet and tapped the pin out!!!

SUCCESS!!!

However....our theory about old, dried grease holding the pin in was NOT the case.....as the pin finally came out of the bracket, a PILE of rust followed it. And the pin itself looked like the anti-rust coating had totally failed, as it was corroded to hell and back.

So.....I took the pin and clamped it into a set of vice grips. Took my awesome Hitachi drill (NON-CORDLESS) and used a wire-wheel attachment to polish ALL the rust off that pin.....it looked like new when I was done. I went to the local sporting goods store, and bought a brass bristle brush used for cleaning guns. I used this brush and some WD-40 to clean all the rust out of the bracket where the pin slides in. A bit of brake cleaner to get all the WD- out, and then re-greased the pin, and put the whole thing back together.

The long and the short of it is that I now have new brakes, and my GS400 stops like it should. It feels awesome, and for what I paid for the parts, I am totally happy with my decision to handle this myself. It was very easy in the scheme of things. I paid $200 for all 4 Brembo vented rotors, and paid $120 for a full set of Akebono Pro-Act Ceramics. They are AWESOME.

My shop, whom I trust implicitly.....wanted $750 for this job with these same parts.....I did the whole thing for $320. Shipped to my door, with no tax being paid to the Man.

VERY SATISFIED.
Old 07-21-08, 03:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome job. I love DIY. Why pay others hundreds when you can do it yourself for a whole lot cheaper!!
Old 07-21-08, 06:35 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Default I cannot calculate

I cannot calculate the amount of money I have saved over the years doing common-sense repairs and maintenance on my own.

I think I may start a new thread asking people what LEGIT level of DIY they practice on their 2nd-Gen GS's.

On my vehicles (not just lexus) -
I tend to handle oil & filter, air filter, plugs, bulbs, intake cleaning like throttle body and MAF, cooling system items like radiators/thermostats, electrical in regards to alternators/batteries/fuses, have done EGR's before, have dropped a gas tank, valve cover/oilpan gaskets, and a lot of other random stuff....I also tinkered in mobile audio installation many years ago.

Anything I feel good about tackling with a Chilton's.....I always end up getting the job done.
Old 07-23-08, 07:17 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do the pins on the front brakes do? The rears I understand, but not the fronts.
Old 09-18-11, 05:55 AM
jolsamuel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me yesterday, trust me, don't use a wrench to take it out, use heat and wiggle it out, I had to buy a used caliper to replace the bracket only after the pin broke inside and wouldn't come out.
Old 09-20-11, 07:43 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
What do the pins on the front brakes do? The rears I understand, but not the fronts.
Allows the caliper to move back and forth so the pads aren't always locked on your rotor.
Originally Posted by jolsamuel
This happened to me yesterday, trust me, don't use a wrench to take it out, use heat and wiggle it out, I had to buy a used caliper to replace the bracket only after the pin broke inside and wouldn't come out.
Even though this thread is old, heat, wrench, and patience will take it out. My caliper bolt completely rusted inside the bracket and I was able to take it off.