Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anybody using Megan Racing Coilover for more than a year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 06:58 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCweet guy
Megans = garbage...

well ive had my megans on my sc for 10 months b4 1 of them blew! yes, blew! so i went to megan in west covina so they can give me a replacement as its still covered by the 1 year manufacturer warranty... they saw it was blown and said they would give me two new ones for the fronts... they didnt have any in stock(which was kinda wierd cuz arent they suppose to have a bunch of ish at the warehouse)... so they said they would put in a order from overseas...

3 months later, and still no replacements.. trust... ive been calling(at least once a month) and letting them know i still want my ish... to top it all, i called last week and they said that the shipment from overseas came in, but it didnt have my two replacement coilovers!!!!!

ill keep u guys tuned in when, or if ever, i get my replacement coils..

megans are nice for the price, but u get what u pay for!!!! go with something else bro...

couldn't agree more... handling is sloppy... response is sloppy... These will be coming out soon... also, I do believe that when you lower the stance, you decrease the shock travel...
Old 08-27-08, 01:55 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
couldn't agree more... handling is sloppy... response is sloppy... These will be coming out soon... also, I do believe that when you lower the stance, you decrease the shock travel...
well it turns out my suspension needed a little MC LOvin.... some of the perches came loose and allowed them to turn, lowering 2 springs on 2 shocks causing my horrible handling. After the tweaks, all good... I like...
Old 08-27-08, 03:18 PM
rsos1
Rookie

what are the specs on the wheels and kit on the white sc that is one clean car?
Old 09-03-09, 07:38 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgzt
I changed my mind about Megan, bought BuddyClub instead. I appreciate the feedback guys.
Where did you get them from... How are they holding up ??
Old 09-03-09, 08:20 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've had megans on my '95 for over 2.5 years.... zero problems... It took a while to get them dialed in but overall I'm happy. High speed cornering is amazing for such a boat of a car. It prob. helps that I've got new LCA's, and daizen camber kits for the front and rear.

The car handles a billion times better than my wrx... For the $$ it's hard to complain. Then again, I've put maybe 7000 miles on the car over the past 2.5 years.
Old 09-17-09, 06:31 AM
TheWraith
Driver School Candidate

Megan coilovers are great if your only in it for the looks. Why spend more money on coilovers when your only after the look, right...

If your after performance and/or ride I suggest looking else where....

With Megan, Ksport, Form & Function, D2's you cannot really feel the difference in dampening settings... Plus 36 or 32 way adjustability is a nightmare to setup on the track.

I would preffer Tein's , Stance, and BuddyClub ( problem w/ BuddyClub you have to pay really close attention to their coilovers and clean/maintain them regularly or they're rust). As for the highend JIC's I would rather rock stock shocks with springs that run these because their quality control just isnt there... Seen plenty of horror stories about these coilovers enough for me to stay away from them...
Old 09-17-09, 06:50 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWraith
Megan coilovers are great if your only in it for the looks. Why spend more money on coilovers when your only after the look, right...

If your after performance and/or ride I suggest looking else where....

With Megan, Ksport, Form & Function, D2's you cannot really feel the difference in dampening settings... Plus 36 or 32 way adjustability is a nightmare to setup on the track.

I would preffer Tein's , Stance, and BuddyClub ( problem w/ BuddyClub you have to pay really close attention to their coilovers and clean/maintain them regularly or they're rust). As for the highend JIC's I would rather rock stock shocks with springs that run these because their quality control just isnt there... Seen plenty of horror stories about these coilovers enough for me to stay away from them...
I have megan's on the car - haven't driven the car with them yet but they're on the car (car has been "in the works" for the past year). The construction of the Meagan's looks top notch, but I'm sure from a pure performance standpoint, they're "junk" - though still an appearance and performance improvement over OEM (which is all I need for now...). Plus the price was right.

Also junk are JIC's, Stance, Buddy Club, and any Teins. Anything from 2 to 39 way ajustable is crap for performance, unless you have dyno'd YOUR shocks and you know exactly what is happening to your dampening on EACH shock when you are adjusting it.

If you want ***** out performance, get some custom valved Koni's, Bilstiens, or better yet, Moton's. Otherwise get the cheapest crap you can get where you can adjust height separate of spring pre-load and call it a day since it is nearly ALL the same.
Old 09-17-09, 06:51 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by benxd
Aww man I was waiting for him to come in here with some more of his nonsense! He sure likes to give opinions on things he knows nothing about and it was about time someone called him out on it.
I bit my tongue when I read an old post and he mentioned that your "corner weighted" a car by selecting different spring rates for each corner.

We're all learning...and once you graduate school w/ an engineering degree you learn VERY QUICKLY that you know about 1% about what you need to know to be an expert in any given field.
Old 09-17-09, 06:54 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
megan coilovers are also threaded body, so you can adjust the height without compromising shock travel...

ive been running these coilovers for about a year and a half and havnt had a problem since these are soft when adjusted, and stiff when needed also. great coilovers for the dollar you pay.

Do you have a camber kit on your car?
Old 09-17-09, 10:13 AM
TheWraith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by High PSI
If you want ***** out performance, get some custom valved Koni's, Bilstiens, or better yet, Moton's. Otherwise get the cheapest crap you can get where you can adjust height separate of spring pre-load and call it a day since it is nearly ALL the same.

yup ***** out performance, totally agree with you there... You have the right group of coilovers. But these are more gear towards full race cars. Who in here would spend $500 dollars on each corner for custom valved Bilsteins ??? Or better yet spend $8000+ on a set of 3 way adjustable JRZ or Motons ??? And what weekend warrior/street car would spend countless hours dialing in a 3 way adjustable coilovers for just a single track ???

We are just talking street cars and/or weekend warrior type stuff here, correct ??? Thats why I brought out TEIN's, Stance, and BuddyClubs... Either way just because you bought the coilovers doesnt mean you are done with your suspension tuning... You can still modify your existing coilovers to suit your driving style. Thats why I push TEIN's soo much because they re-valve and re-build them here in Southern Cali right off the 605fwy...

I had a few sets of "Of The Shelves" TEIN's which I had modified the valving for my driving style and changed out the springs with SWIFT springs... But that was for my track car. Once again we are only discussing street cars that see more street than track... Even if you track your Lexus every weekend, I dont see the purpose of purchasing a set of $8000+ set of JRZ and Moton's. And spend the time to dial them in for every track you go too...

Your statement about buying the cheapest crap coilovers on the market is true but to an extent... I still would have a better peace of mind knowing I have quality workmanship on the "of the shelves" coilovers and they will not fall apart/ break apart on me; when I do go to the track on the weekends...

Heres a example of JIC's crappy quality control...

How would you like to have this happen to you on turn 8 and/or 9 on Big Willow ????

link to the thread
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92082

Last edited by TheWraith; 09-17-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 06:42 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by TheWraith
yup ***** out performance, totally agree with you there... You have the right group of coilovers. But these are more gear towards full race cars. Who in here would spend $500 dollars on each corner for custom valved Bilsteins ??? Or better yet spend $8000+ on a set of 3 way adjustable JRZ or Motons ??? And what weekend warrior/street car would spend countless hours dialing in a 3 way adjustable coilovers for just a single track ???....................................................
Dont know where you are getting those figures from, but last I checked, it cost $45-$60 to revalve a bilstein shock/strut to whatever spring rate you want.
Old 09-21-09, 05:49 PM
TheWraith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kponti
Dont know where you are getting those figures from, but last I checked, it cost $45-$60 to revalve a bilstein shock/strut to whatever spring rate you want.
yes its only $45 to $60 bucks to revalve a regular bilstein shock ... But I'm talking about their custom motorsport shocks.