Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

pic of F-sport brakes upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08 | 08:53 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

any recent/up to date/closer pics?
Old 07-19-08 | 10:30 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

you got fronts only?
Old 07-19-08 | 10:48 PM
isam250
Pole Position

siccccckness do u have the fsport short shifter also?
Old 07-19-08 | 11:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hapaboy
you got fronts only?
"burnabykid" got both fronts & rears... Look at post #1 closely...
Old 07-19-08 | 11:50 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

i'll update for sure after i break them in more, but so far its been a week and maybe about 300 kms.. it i definitely feel it to be more responsive, but thats completely subjective. i could have done a before and after distance test, but for me it more for looks than performance.. and i'm definitely happy with the looks

sunday i will have time to do a good photoshoot and i'll post more pics up afterwards.
Old 07-19-08 | 11:52 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isam250
siccccckness do u have the fsport short shifter also?
no i havent yet, i'm still waiting on my local dealership here to get them in, i might have to buy it from the US and have it shipped up here, like i did with the brakes.
Old 07-19-08 | 11:54 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
"burnabykid" got both fronts & rears... Look at post #1 closely...
yes i got the whole set, didnt want the rears to feel left out
Old 07-20-08 | 09:07 AM
NU350
Intermediate

Nice! They look so good with your set up. Now, I am tempted to get a set too...
Old 07-21-08 | 02:07 AM
burnabykid
Pole Position

posted a close-up/comparison pic on the first page
Old 07-21-08 | 10:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burnabykid
^ ya thats what i figured, breaking in the brakes initially.
What's involved in that? I'm getting some new pads from Lexus this weekend.
Old 07-21-08 | 10:49 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
What's involved in that? I'm getting some new pads from Lexus this weekend.
doing about 10 stops from 60 - 10, braking real hard to almost the point of the ABS kicking in all in succession.
Old 07-21-08 | 10:50 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

doing about 10 stops from 60 - 10, braking real hard to almost the point of the ABS kicking in all in succession.
Does this have to be done immediately after putting on new pads? Essentially you're heating up the pads, correct?
Old 07-21-08 | 11:53 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

this is what the manual says:

1. before starting the break in procedure drive with gentle braking, do not use brakes aggressively until performing break-in procedure

2.make a series of 10 stops from 60 - 5-10 MPH. at the end of each stop immediately accelerate to 60 again for the next stop. run all stops continuously in one cycle.

3. during the 60 - 5 -10 MPH series of stops the exact speed is not critical.

4. a moderate braking effort is needed to properly break in the rotors and pads. a stopping force of approximately .8G's, just short of ABS intervention, is the level of pedel effort you are trying to attain.

5. on the 8 or 9th stop there should be a distinct smell from the brakes, smoke may be evident as during earlier stops as well.

6. also on the 8th or 9th stop some friction materials will experience 'green fade'. this is a slight fading of the brakes. the fade will stabilize but not completely go away until the brakes have cooled.

7. after the break in cycle is finished there will be a blue tint color on the rotor vanes with a light gray film on the rotor face. this indicates the rotor has reached the proper break in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face.

i'm not sure if this is required to just a brake pad change, kinda overkill maybe? but i believe you are trying to bring the temperature up to brake in the pads and rotors in my case..
Old 07-22-08 | 08:35 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

this is what the manual says:

1. before starting the break in procedure drive with gentle braking, do not use brakes aggressively until performing break-in procedure

2.make a series of 10 stops from 60 - 5-10 MPH. at the end of each stop immediately accelerate to 60 again for the next stop. run all stops continuously in one cycle.

3. during the 60 - 5 -10 MPH series of stops the exact speed is not critical.

4. a moderate braking effort is needed to properly break in the rotors and pads. a stopping force of approximately .8G's, just short of ABS intervention, is the level of pedel effort you are trying to attain.

5. on the 8 or 9th stop there should be a distinct smell from the brakes, smoke may be evident as during earlier stops as well.

6. also on the 8th or 9th stop some friction materials will experience 'green fade'. this is a slight fading of the brakes. the fade will stabilize but not completely go away until the brakes have cooled.

7. after the break in cycle is finished there will be a blue tint color on the rotor vanes with a light gray film on the rotor face. this indicates the rotor has reached the proper break in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face.

i'm not sure if this is required to just a brake pad change, kinda overkill maybe? but i believe you are trying to bring the temperature up to brake in the pads and rotors in my case..
Thx for this! Is this in the Lexus Owner's Manual, (recently moved and have temporarily misplaced mine) or did it come with your brake manual? Do you think I need to do this if I'm not starting with brand new rotors? They're just resurfacing them. Might the dealership tech. normally do this?
Old 07-22-08 | 10:33 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Update from the dealer. Thoughts?

"No, they do not have to be “broken in”- it is better for a new brake pad surface to match up to a clean and even rotor surface to get the best wear."

Mind you I'm not getting new rotors, just new pads and the current rotors will be cut a bit.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: pic of F-sport brakes upgrade