Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SUPRA break kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 10:25 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

I just ordered everything for a 1998 Supra Turbo.

Calipers, rotors, pads, shims, and wheels that'll clear the calipers. You can use the stock brake lines but doesn't fit perfectly. There's a "hook" (sorry, hard to explain) that just barely doesn't fit.
So does the stock line work (not leak or fail)?

Also does everyone run only salvaged calipers from Supra's or has anyone tried new or manufactured calipers from parts suppliers?
Old 10-27-08, 09:42 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

not to mention how much better the stopping power is!!i just did this mod a few months back and i WISH this was the first mod i did....
Old 10-27-08, 10:56 PM
RoosterJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Any idea if these brakes will clear the 7-spoke OEM Lexus 17x8 chrome rims?
Old 10-27-08, 10:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Nope. You'll need spacers
Old 10-30-08, 10:20 AM
Eddie@JP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatanoTLS
Best decently priced mod yet.
About how much are we looking at here? I'd like to do this also if its going to be a lot cheaper than an actual BBK.
Old 10-30-08, 06:50 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eddie@JP
About how much are we looking at here? I'd like to do this also if its going to be a lot cheaper than an actual BBK.
Total for parts like the ones shown in Coco-bun's pics (iie no shashin wa Coco-bun!) are like $600. Champion Toyota in Houston hooked me up. Hawk HPS pads from Tire Rack, a set of Rotora coated SS lines for the GS, and you're ready to rock n' roll.
Old 11-07-08, 09:07 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious. When I swapped the brakes on my mustang, it was essential that I swapped out the brake booster and master cylinder....otherwise the brakes the brake bias would be off if I used the stock pieces....

So, my question is this. Toyota put the stock stuff together because their engineers deemed it so. Now people add larger rotors and calipers. Does this not throw the car out of wack? If what I am thinking is accurate and please correct me if I am wrong, but won't adding something like this throw the brake bias off now that the front braking has changed?

Unless the Supra uses the exact same booster and MC that the GS uses, I am still wondering if this upgrade needs a different master and booster.

I realize that Ford and Toyota are different companies...but brakes are brakes...and I had to go through many Master's to get the right feel, and that if I did need to lock them up, nothing magically dangerous would happen....like the *** end kicking out by having the rears lock before the fronts etc etc etc.
Old 11-07-08, 09:24 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

balance is wack, but I think the gain you get from the Supra calipers are worth the change in bias. I haven't noticed anything dangerous from just driving on the streets, if anything, probably saved my *** a few times. If your ABS is working, it shouldn't lock them up.

Netz Toyota in Japan offer this as their BBK also. If you have a 98-00, you can get the bigger 01-05 brake booster, which from what I researched on Japanese sites, it does help a lot.
Old 11-07-08, 09:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Brake bias is indeed off and I could definitely feel my fronts working harder than the rears. I'm not using the supra setup (LS400), but I could feel a bit of fade with the OEM pads after a while.

The best thing you can do aside from getting new master cylinder (we dont have much options to choose from as the OEM unit is already complicated as it is), is to get different rear pads. We can offset the bias a bit by running pads with higher coefficient of friction.
Old 11-07-08, 09:55 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Brake bias is indeed off and I could definitely feel my fronts working harder than the rears. I'm not using the supra setup (LS400), but I could feel a bit of fade with the OEM pads after a while.

The best thing you can do aside from getting new master cylinder (we dont have much options to choose from as the OEM unit is already complicated as it is), is to get different rear pads. We can offset the bias a bit by running pads with higher coefficient of friction.
Wouldn't that be the case anyways as your fronts do 75-80 percent of the braking anyways?

I had some major brake issues in my car so I added an adjustable proportioning valve. I was able to dial in my brakes perfectly. I did tests on my parents gravel driveway. Turn the ****, and see when the brakes lock....but I did not have ABS, so I have no idea how to do it on a Lexus....or if the adj pro por valve is even viable. I doubt it, but it worked on my Mustang.

I have the **** style.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...1-PV/index.asp
Old 11-07-08, 10:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yea the fronts do most of the braking but the upgraded calipers are A LOT more powerful than the OEM brakes when it comes to brake horsepower so for all we know, we could have shifted the bias even further.

Unfortunately, we cannot add an adjustable proportional valve to the GS. Unlike many master cylinders out there, the factory valves are integrated into the master cylinder. It's just one big unit that comprise of the ABS, proportional valve, and the cylinder itself. Pretty hefty price of $1200+ should it ever go out on you. Adding on the valve to the rear lines is not feasible. Two valves dont make a right
Old 11-09-08, 04:38 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

nice thread i want to cahange my brake pads but now i wont i will install supra calipers and rotors and i can find them easy in the junk yard
Old 11-10-08, 08:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

ok i have seen the rear supra calipers on a members car so y does every1 say u cant swap them also?
Old 11-10-08, 09:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Are you sure they're supra Calipers. The SC guys can fit them but I dont know anyone who has rear supra calipers on their 2GS. Just make sure you're able to retain the E-brake. The hub inside the rear disc may not be the same.
Old 11-14-08, 04:01 PM
Sleam
Driver School Candidate

Tell please, and forward brakes are put without problems or any adapters are necessary? If yes, prompt what? Or is better lay out a photo and drawings

Quick Reply: SUPRA break kit