Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New rotors... Buybrakes.com

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 09:48 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rotors... Buybrakes.com

I can't find any part numbers on Buybrakes.com for new slotted or drilled rotors. I have a 350 and they don't list any IS350 rotors!!

Anyone have recommendations of what rotors to go with and what the P/N is?

Thanks
Old 07-27-08, 11:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont waste the $$ unless your rotors are shot already. You have pretty good rotors from OEM on your car. anything more is just overkill on the IS.
Old 07-27-08, 12:33 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Really?? I was gonna change out mines too, was thinking Rotora rotors. Ehh I'll still do it haha
Old 07-27-08, 01:20 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, ROTORA has the rotors for IS350/IS250 with Slotted or Drilled too.
Old 07-27-08, 01:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Slotted sure, if you track the car at all, but why would you want to drill holes in a perfectly good rotor?
Old 07-27-08, 01:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
^^Really?? I was gonna change out mines too, was thinking Rotora rotors. Ehh I'll still do it haha
Yes reallyThe brakes and rotors on the IS350 are more then enough for the car and I have worked on them They may not LOOK as nice as your future BBK

anything more is just show on the IS...You wont get much more performance out of your IS from the stock numbers so there is no reason for bigger brakes or even a rotor swap. One thing I was impressed with is the OEM brakes on the IS

did you sell your rims?
Old 07-27-08, 02:18 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I'm at 50k on stock rotors and the EBC pads are getting thin. Instead of trying to turn the stock rotors down, I'm just going to get new ones.

I like the look of the slotted binders so might as well go for a little look on the new ones.
Old 07-27-08, 02:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I hear ya. I have the EBC redstuff pads but its only been a few thousand miles on them How did you like them long term?
Old 07-28-08, 08:33 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

They stop on a dime and leave a nickle change..... Way better than OE pads for sure.

I searched for the Rotora stuff but only found BBK kits???? Not OE replacement type rotors out there?

Saw Brembo makes rotors but don't know if they are slotted or not. Anyone know?
Old 07-28-08, 10:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit74
They stop on a dime and leave a nickle change..... Way better than OE pads for sure.
Brake pads do not reduce stopping distance. They can't. The pads don't stop the car.

(assuming the pads in question are at least good enough to engage ABS, which the OEM ones certainly are).

Brake pads -can- change the feel of the braking system, the wear characteristics of the pad/rotor, and its resistance to fade if making repeated high-speed stops when racing... but your typical single panic stop a normal street driven car cares about? any pad that can engage ABS will stop in exactly the same distance as any other brake pad that can.
Old 07-28-08, 03:42 PM
mr. haison
Pole Position

I will also would like to know if there are any other rotor replacements for the IS350. I have 40k miles on the car with two years of autocrossing and a couple track days going through 2 sets of pads and in need of new rotors. I am getting low on my current pads and will kill two birds with one stone when I need to change them out.
Old 07-28-08, 06:21 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

A higher coefficient of friction on a pad WILL stop anything sooner with the exact same pot preasure. Poor some oil on those pads and drop it to say....... a .18 and see how far it will take.

It's basic science. More f, or percentage of gravity if you will, will result in an increase of system efficiency over the same distance. Tire/roadway relationships work on the exact same principal.

I'm finding some skewed logic in your statement..... Can you elaborate with some verifiable facts?

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Brake pads do not reduce stopping distance. They can't. The pads don't stop the car.

Brake pads -can- change the feel of the braking system, the wear characteristics of the pad/rotor, ........... ABS will stop in exactly the same distance as any other brake pad that can.
Old 07-28-08, 07:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit74
A higher coefficient of friction on a pad WILL stop anything sooner with the exact same pot preasure. Poor some oil on those pads and drop it to say....... a .18 and see how far it will take.

It's basic science. More f, or percentage of gravity if you will, will result in an increase of system efficiency over the same distance. Tire/roadway relationships work on the exact same principal.

I'm finding some skewed logic in your statement..... Can you elaborate with some verifiable facts?

It's pretty basic physics.

The tires stop the car. If the pad can engage ABS then the maximum useful force is being applied so as to not lock the wheels up. Additional force from a higher CoE would be wasted force.

If you don't believe me would you believe Stoptech? How bout Brembo? How bout the guy who wrote Pulp Friction? All of them, and many more, will tell you that pads -can not- reduce stopping distance in a normal panic stop.

For Brembo-
http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/FAQs/

Click on the one about stopping distances and you'll see
"At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance."

Here's Stoptech-
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml
The brakes don't stop the vehicle - the tires do. The brakes slow the rotation of the wheels and tires. This means that braking distance measured on a single stop from a highway legal speed or higher is almost totally dependent upon the stopping ability of the tires in use - which, in the case of aftermarket advertising, may or may not be the ones originally fitted to the car by the OE manufacturer.

Pulp Frictions section on brake pads concludes:
"Don't expect any shorter stopping distances, because the pads aren't what stops the car"

Another good source is the 2004 National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center brake pad test... they mention they changed their methodology from the previous testing they did because panic stop testing wasn't useful when testing brake pads so now they test for pedal effort and fade:
"When braking to a targeted deceleration rate, where the speed of the vehicle at brake application is the same, the stopping distance should also theoretically be the same, making any measurement of stopping distances irrelevant"

What pads -can- do is:

Reduce the amount of pedal force required to generate a given clamping force- (ie change the "feel" of the system)

Reduce the amount of pad/rotor wear in the long term

Increase the number of repeated high-speed stops you can make before fade sets in and distance INCREASES due to heat.... great for racing or driving down a mountainside, not really relevant for your everyday panic stop though.

What pads can NOT do is reduce braking distance. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-28-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 07:44 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's pretty basic physics.

The tires stop the car. If the pad can engage ABS then the maximum useful force is being applied so as to not lock the wheels up. Additional force from a higher CoE would be wasted force.
Unfortunately Kurtsie is right. ABS is ABS. I love when people say that the stock pads stop the car faster than TSIBed pads. The limiting factor is almost always tires.
Old 07-28-08, 07:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VikH
Unfortunately Kurtsie is right.
who is Kurtsie

Quick Reply: New rotors... Buybrakes.com