Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Did a search, how do you adjust coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 03:18 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a search, how do you adjust coilovers?

Hi, I have tein coilovers CS. Currently, I am dropped too low and wondering how do I adjust the coilovers to raise it? I don't have any instructions or anything. I tried searching but no help. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Old 07-29-08, 11:15 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your TEIN CS's came with two special wrenches, made specifically for adjusting your coilovers. You'll need to lift your car up, take the tires off (one at a time), and then use both wrenches to loosen the two gold nuts on the body of the struts. Loosen the bottom one first, then you can adjust the top nut up to raise up your car. Use a sharpie to mark you nut and strut, so you can keep track of how many turns you make on each strut. Do the exact same number of turns on each nut, so you'll be raising your car evenly. Don't forget to tighten the bottom nut back up against the top one when your finished. You'll probably need to go up a couple of turns each to raise your car up enough to be noticable. This is a very easy procedure. Once you've done it, you'll know just how easy it is. Hope this info helps!
Old 07-29-08, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Instead of marking and going by turns (which can be horribly inconsistent), I just measure the length of the spring from top to bottom with the suspension unloaded and adjust both sides for the same length. After you do this a few times you get a feel for how much change you get for compressing the spring a given amount.

If you are using scales to cornerweight and you know the spring rates (you should know this) then you can convert the installed length of the spring to a given amount of force which will help calculate how much you need to adjust to get the balance correct.
Old 07-29-08, 06:14 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 full turn is 1/8th inch
Old 07-29-08, 08:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

oh, right now my rear left side is 0 finger gap and my right side is 2 finger gap. So turn it to loosen it all the way and then start from scratch? Do you know how many turns it will be to have 0 finger gap all around?
Old 07-29-08, 09:58 PM
Krazyj604
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Instead of marking and going by turns (which can be horribly inconsistent), I just measure the length of the spring from top to bottom with the suspension unloaded and adjust both sides for the same length. After you do this a few times you get a feel for how much change you get for compressing the spring a given amount.

If you are using scales to cornerweight and you know the spring rates (you should know this) then you can convert the installed length of the spring to a given amount of force which will help calculate how much you need to adjust to get the balance correct.
yes that is a wise way of going at it. first unload them and measure, it would be more consistent
Old 07-29-08, 11:01 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you put them on the opposite side I had them. I would Just turn them all the way down and count up say about 5 turns on the driver side and 3turns on the passenger side. This will make your car sit level.
Old 08-26-08, 10:19 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Going to do it tomorrow. I just need to raise my front about half inch. How do I turn it? Do I turn it towards the right to raise or left?
Old 09-01-08, 09:07 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

look at the threading on the coils. It should be clockwise to lower, and counter clockwise to raise. There is only two ways, left or right. if its clockwise going down then counter to raise. I could be wrong cause i dont remember haha sorry.. Coils are a pain to do man. I did what lubox did. measure the threading with a tape measure and went all around for a even drop. then adjusted to my liking, and of course to fix the lean
Old 09-30-08, 05:53 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

OK, the other day when I was installing my GFX rear. I decided to try to adjust my coilovers. I took off my wheels, and I didn't know what to do. The coilovers were very different than my coilovers on my old car. So what exactly do I do with the 2 bottom perches. I asked my friend about adjusting coilovers, they keep warning me something about preload. I need to watch out how to adjust it or else I will be putting too much force on the shocks and it will blow. Can someone explain to me how to adjust the 2 perches? I tried turning it with the wrenches.

Old 09-30-08, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The shock will blow from too much preload? I hope you're kidding. Whoever told you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

You should have a spanner wrench for the two collars at the bottom. Loosen the lower one first, then adjust the upper one either looser or tighter depending on whether you want the car lower or higher. When you have a setting you like, tighten the lower one against the upper one to lock them both in place.
Old 09-30-08, 07:08 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Cool, thanks lobux and everyone. Just did it today. I called tein and asked them and they gave me the wrong info. They said to lower I need to turn counter clock wise and I been turning it the whole time and it kept getting stiffer and stiffer. And I turned clock wise, it worked right away.

My question is, I tried putting it to the lowest setting. I still have a half finger gap left. Is this normal? I didn't turn the top perch to the lowest ridge because it seems like its too loose. So I just turned the top perch to where it is not turn-able by finger. and I tighten the bottom perch after that. Maybe my car is jacked up? Does this mean I can go lower?

Last edited by smokyis350; 10-01-08 at 05:33 PM.