Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 03:36 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Upper Control Arms

Greetings fellow SC enthusiast,

I'm writing to get your help on my current situation. I'm experiencing a wobbly rear end when hitting speeds in excess of 60. So, I took my SC400 into my mechanic (specializes in Lexus & Toyota), and the diagnosis is that my rear upper control arms are no longer holding there own. The only resource they have that is able to obtain them is the dealer, and you know how that goes. I went on Carson Toyota and saw they are $421.22 per side

Here's where I need your help:
  • What are my options?
  • I saw where a few of you went w/ the Daizen Rear Control Arm Bushings Kit; will that work for me?

Any help is very much appreciated.
Mousiee

Last edited by mousiee; 08-01-08 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammer error
Old 08-04-08, 04:55 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Daizen camber kit and it did wonders in the handling department (part of that I'm sure was having a more proper camber setting too) I would guess the stock replacement bushings would certainly be a great upgrage/fix assuming the ball joints on the control arms are in good shape.
Old 08-06-08, 09:32 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyoso23
I have the Daizen camber kit and it did wonders in the handling department (part of that I'm sure was having a more proper camber setting too) I would guess the stock replacement bushings would certainly be a great upgrage/fix assuming the ball joints on the control arms are in good shape.
Thanks for the response. I purchased both rear upper control arms (off a 99 SC) from Aliga. I'm still thinking about purchasing the Daizen Rear Control Arm Kit and switching the bushings out since my mechanic will be back there. Also, I don't want to have to pay double labor if the stock bushing go bad.

Mousiee
Old 08-08-08, 04:12 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Pop those new bushings in for sure, very easy DIY. Also, ALWAYS make sure you are not having tire OR wheels problems, shocks, and wheel bearings causing those issues, all very easy stuff to check and DIY.
Old 08-10-08, 08:37 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Pop those new bushings in for sure, very easy DIY. Also, ALWAYS make sure you are not having tire OR wheels problems, shocks, and wheel bearings causing those issues, all very easy stuff to check and DIY.
Thanks for the response.

I'm probably gonna let my indie take care of this one, although it would be a great experience. If there was a member in my area who has performed this task and willing to offer their time, I would definitely help and pay for their services. I'll also have my indie check out the other things you mentioned.

Mousiee