Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A qustion for anyone with coilovers.... Your advice would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 11:36 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only HKS units you can get for our cars right now must be special ordered from Japan with a long wait.
Old 08-05-08, 11:58 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
The only HKS units you can get for our cars right now must be special ordered from Japan with a long wait.

wow, didnt know that...hhmmmmmm, there's demand, but no supply...LOL
Old 08-06-08, 12:03 AM
LS_FosHO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phillygs3
I'm also on Tein ss ......... I love the ride Your best bet is to figure out how low you want to go and then decide ..........If you dont want to go that low then tein cs would be your best bet .........If you want to go really low then I would go with JIC , HKS (good luck finding) , or Tein ss And remember the lower you go the more your gonna sacrafice comfort ......... I'm on Tein ss , it's not stock but it's not that bad. You feel the road more and handles much better .
Nuff Said!! for Tein SS's
Old 08-06-08, 01:33 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JIC VIP COILS FTW! although i have heard of some local shops that said they can do air set ups for about 2200 installed..but thats jus what i heard..if i knew that before i bought my coils..i wouldnt even have bought my coils..woulda went air for sure for that price
Old 08-07-08, 06:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
who told u this? my neighbor ordered his 2 weeks ago from here and got his no problem

http://www.hopupracing.com/lexus1.html
Old 08-07-08, 08:37 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
who told u this? my neighbor ordered his 2 weeks ago from here and got his no problem

http://www.hopupracing.com/lexus1.html
Luis at Carson Toyota

What HKS model did he get? And was it for a 2nd gen GS? Perhaps they happened to have some stock on hand. Luis told me that HKS has no stock here in the US and that all units have to be ordered directly from Japan with up to a 2 month wait.
Old 08-07-08, 09:28 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
HKS LS
HKS LS
Old 08-07-08, 09:58 AM
ZeroState
Driver School Candidate

Stay away from cheap coil-overs at all costs. BC Racing, K-Sport, NEX, DropZone, Megan, I think D2, IPP, etc. I used to drive a Neon before I bought a GS300, and I had BC-Racing/IPP coil-overs on there, with sways, bushings, and strut braces. Real stiff and very composed in the corners, at first. But pretty much all cheap ones come from BC in Taiwan. A company just makes their own mounts, colors them, then sells them under their own name. After a few months, the shock part blows out, leaving you with a bouncy, jarring ride. NONE of the shocks are matched to the spring rate (on my Neon, they were about 800lb/in or 14 kg/in ,front AND rear, WTF?), in fact, in most cases the shock valving isn't even matched to each other. There is an article on corner-carvers that shows this. I'm fairly sure that is what happened on my Neon, because no matter how much I tried to dial in the suspension, it never matched. On the other hand, my friend's Yaris with Apexi coilovers? Rides firm, but not jarring. No bottoming out in corners even on a very low ride height. So pay for the quality, unless you really want to experience bad quality for yourself.

Last edited by ZeroState; 08-07-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 11:00 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

guys, best advice i can suggest is to be patient and save for what you want. the economy is really bad and could be affecting your decision making. rather than looking into the lower-priced parts, maybe save for a while longer, and make that bigger purchase later on down the road...you may very well have saved a bit more $$$, had you gone the other route with the lower-priced parts, uninstall, try to sell, then save again for the more expensive part.
GL!
Old 08-07-08, 11:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
guys, best advice i can suggest is to be patient and save for what you want. the economy is really bad and could be affecting your decision making. rather than looking into the lower-priced parts, maybe save for a while longer, and make that bigger purchase later on down the road...you may very well have saved a bit more $$$, had you gone the other route with the lower-priced parts, uninstall, try to sell, then save again for the more expensive part.
GL!
Great advice Jason..it sounds as if you've gone through this route before.

Old 08-07-08, 12:17 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Great advice Jason..it sounds as if you've gone through this route before.

not the same route, but tested a few options; also, the economy wasnt a negating factor for me.
LOL
Old 08-07-08, 09:11 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure how you guys buy stuff but i use an Australia-base interface site for Yahoo Japan Auctions.

flicking through there's everything you can think of brand wise for 2GS coils, but i kindof wanted Insurance right from the get go. I was able to keep a close eye and whereas they usually went for around $1300-$1500AUD 'Buy It Now', i got mine for $980 'Buy it Now' on Sale through one of the online vendors on there.

so that is another option if you can get access to YAJ stuff, just keep your eyes peeled and search regularly. There are also 'cheap' japanese brands on there, there were even some that we as cheap as $700AUD!
Old 08-07-08, 09:42 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [ant]
im not sure how you guys buy stuff but i use an Australia-base interface site for Yahoo Japan Auctions.

flicking through there's everything you can think of brand wise for 2GS coils, but i kindof wanted Insurance right from the get go. I was able to keep a close eye and whereas they usually went for around $1300-$1500AUD 'Buy It Now', i got mine for $980 'Buy it Now' on Sale through one of the online vendors on there.

so that is another option if you can get access to YAJ stuff, just keep your eyes peeled and search regularly. There are also 'cheap' japanese brands on there, there were even some that we as cheap as $700AUD!
COuld you give us a link?

Also, the Hks from HopUp mentioned above are for the RS (or at least thats all they are showing for Hks coilovers at the moment) they are different from the LS If you want to be slammed you need something with an adjustable shock body, as in you can thread the lower portion of the shock body up and down as well as the perch height, the Hks RS doesn't have that feature. Tein Flex, Jic FLT's etc...have it.
Old 08-07-08, 10:04 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [ant]

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE CHEAP JAPANESE ONES!
Old 08-07-08, 10:13 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

+2 for Tein SS.

Goes lower than the CS if that's what your looking for. I think the CS at it's lowest point is not low enough. SS are not stiff at all for my taste. Perfect comfort. 16way dampening adjustable so you can tune it for your comfort. Especially if you have an EDFC. I hated the floaty feeling of the stock suspension and from what I read the CS are kinda like that. You won't get the clanking that the Flex give you as well.

Wait there's a set in the classifieds right now. lol

Quick Reply: A qustion for anyone with coilovers.... Your advice would be appreciated.