Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan LP series Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 01:14 AM
Jfg kevin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan LP series Coilovers?

Im in the market for those coilovers, but want to hear what some of the sc owners with these coilovers feel about them..I would also like to see some picture of SC with these coilover on..I'm planning to put 19's with these coilovers, slammed.. Coming from the Honda scene...I like my car sittin low..=)...thx

Here's a pic of my Teg...=)...I'm hoping i can get my SC close to that or lower with 19's on these coilovers..

A teaser pic of my STOCK SC

Last edited by Jfg kevin; 08-10-08 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 01:12 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC looks clean man...

I can't speak on behalf of the SC scene on these coilovers, because I believe they just came out recently, but I know several guys that have had them on their 240SXs (I had a Kouki), and what I typically hear from them is

-They go pretty low
-They handle alright
-Downfall is they're bouncy.

I have powered by max coilovers on my SC300, and right now on 18s it's sitting about the same as your integra, where wheels are flush with fenders. You can buy em on Powered By Max's website, or off Zilvia.net. They're usually around 1100 shipped.

Pic for reference. (they can go about 2in lower too, haha)

Old 08-10-08, 04:56 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what ive seen its a 50/50 on megans, some people say they love them then the other half dont like them at all. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal with them is. They look well made but that doesn't say much for the valving on something and im not going to buy them just to find out. Ive been very happy with my eibach springs but i wish i was a bit lower...
Old 08-10-08, 08:52 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twizted
From what ive seen its a 50/50 on megans, some people say they love them then the other half dont like them at all. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal with them is. They look well made but that doesn't say much for the valving on something and im not going to buy them just to find out. Ive been very happy with my eibach springs but i wish i was a bit lower...
It's because 50% actually have experience with the coilovers and the other 50% just repeat the crap they hear from other people without ever having experience with the coilovers themselves.

Just do a search, in every Megan coilover thread there will be the one person who actually has the coils and 11ty other people who have no idea what they're talking about. People read what they want to read...
Old 08-10-08, 10:16 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by benxd
It's because 50% actually have experience with the coilovers and the other 50% just repeat the crap they hear from other people without ever having experience with the coilovers themselves.

Just do a search, in every Megan coilover thread there will be the one person who actually has the coils and 11ty other people who have no idea what they're talking about. People read what they want to read...
Well there are a couple storys of blown shocks then no customer service support for it...
Old 08-11-08, 12:55 AM
Jfg kevin
Driver

Originally Posted by 1985zcar
SC looks clean man...

I can't speak on behalf of the SC scene on these coilovers, because I believe they just came out recently, but I know several guys that have had them on their 240SXs (I had a Kouki), and what I typically hear from them is

-They go pretty low
-They handle alright
-Downfall is they're bouncy.

I have powered by max coilovers on my SC300, and right now on 18s it's sitting about the same as your integra, where wheels are flush with fenders. You can buy em on Powered By Max's website, or off Zilvia.net. They're usually around 1100 shipped.

Pic for reference. (they can go about 2in lower too, haha)

How do they ride?...Well price was another thing that was actractive for me. I can get a set of Megan LP shipped at $830...

I've also heard about how their customer service SUCKS but let's hope i dont have to even call...

Forums will always have those people that repeats what they have read and put a little twist of their own knowledge to respond...That's why i'm looking for people here that ACTUALLY HAVE MEGAN COILOVER LP SERIES to review them on this tread...Thx for the replies so far guys..
Old 08-11-08, 12:59 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man go back to the HT forums where you belong especially the DB squad.

Haha jus messing with you man. Help this guy out with your experiences people, he needs some coilovers!
Old 08-11-08, 02:29 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Of course you're going to blow them when you think it's a great idea to ride on full stiff and hit a pot hole. Just look at the other Megan thread from a few weeks ago and you'll see the ignorance surrounding the coilovers. When I was looking for my suspension I personally PMed the people who actually had Megans and asked for their insight. Everyone liked them. I'm not going to trust some noob who registered 2 days ago complaining about how his coilovers are teh sux and how they blew when they give no background info and have basically no credit to their name.
Old 08-11-08, 04:15 PM
Jfg kevin
Driver

Originally Posted by benxd
Of course you're going to blow them when you think it's a great idea to ride on full stiff and hit a pot hole. Just look at the other Megan thread from a few weeks ago and you'll see the ignorance surrounding the coilovers. When I was looking for my suspension I personally PMed the people who actually had Megans and asked for their insight. Everyone liked them. I'm not going to trust some noob who registered 2 days ago complaining about how his coilovers are teh sux and how they blew when they give no background info and have basically no credit to their name.
Thx for the reply...That's what i'm saying tho...I made this read in hoping that the EXPERIENCED Megan LP series owner would just reply to this tread to make lives easier..=p...But all arrows to point Megan so far, so i think imma give it a shot...=)...REVIEWS ARE STILL WELCOME THO..!!

Here's a shoot of the rims, just the tires mounted today...rims going on tomorrow..=)..

Old 08-12-08, 09:32 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Let me chime in on this one....

I have the megans, have had for 1.5 years. I think they are great given the cost. If you can find someone that knows what the **** they are doing when it comes to alignments, and can install bushings+Upper control arm camber kit, new lca, steering rack bushings; these cars simply handle amazing for what they are. NO it's not an S2k, but it has a trillion times more confidence in cornering than my wrx with sti springs @ 90+ mph.

Now the things I don't like about the megans are that that if you hit a rise in the road, the car seems to pitch upwards (both front and rear). I'm guessing this is the difference between a coilover with rebound+compression dampening vs. just compression. Correct me if I'm wrong. You'll notice this the most on straightaways on country roads. If you have a good alignment the car will not pull one way or the other....I've not had the car "corner" balanced though.

I've only seen a few true coilovers out there, it's sad that Ohlins does not make something for the SC as if you're a wrx/sti fan, you'll see they are that nice combo between comfort and performance. I encourage everyone to research some of the ohlins products and reviews.

In thought, going full circle, I still believe the megans are great for the money. However, if you consider your time/money in installation + alignment, you may consider a different setup that has a strut that better matches the spring rates, which is the cause of the bounciness. Is it the end of the world on a long road trip? not at all, they are amazing. Around town, the day in and day out grind to and from work on 30mph or slower roads is what will become old about them.

I use my SC for those 400 mile + extended road trips, and it works perfect for just that.

About me: These are my first coilovers on any car, I'm pretty picky, and I like something that is functional and looks good i.e., balance; These work for me. IF you're going to go racing or all out extreme: buckup! go spend some real money and get a setup that is meant for that type of abuse...I'm also 30 and not 18. I'd rather have something practical than "LOOK at ME!! attention please!" So I don't believe these coilovers are meant to be lowered to extreme amounts either and they will not take extreme amounts of abuse from what I've read. I drive like a fool in the corners and have had zero problems with these, but I've not had the car lowered to the ground like everyone else on these forums.

Conclusion: These will give you that 90-95% driving/fun experience at about 50% of the cost and will probably last about 60-70% the amount of time compared to better models. I'm guessing on this though.
Old 08-12-08, 11:45 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

from all the people that i know that have megan on 240 they are either good or the owner doesnt like them at all. i just got my Stances yesterday. installed them laast night. i previously had stock suspension and then tokico shocks and eibach springs. in the softest setting the stances are smoother then my tokico/eibach combo was. a true lexus ride. on the softest setting i would compare the smoothness to an ls400.

on the stiffest setting its not that rough at all either surprisingly. it definitely handles a lot better. im riding right now on 3 click off full stiff and its great. low speed shock response on the stances is amazing. the high speed is decent but could be improved. but thats where the ssd(special setting damper) version can come into the picture.

i got mine for pretty much the price you would pay for tein basics....but you are getting a hell lot better suspension.
Old 08-16-08, 12:38 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your integra lowered on? looks nice with the lip, is there a side skirt and rear bumper lip to complete the look?
Old 08-16-08, 09:28 PM
Jfg kevin
Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
from all the people that i know that have megan on 240 they are either good or the owner doesnt like them at all. i just got my Stances yesterday. installed them laast night. i previously had stock suspension and then tokico shocks and eibach springs. in the softest setting the stances are smoother then my tokico/eibach combo was. a true lexus ride. on the softest setting i would compare the smoothness to an ls400.

on the stiffest setting its not that rough at all either surprisingly. it definitely handles a lot better. im riding right now on 3 click off full stiff and its great. low speed shock response on the stances is amazing. the high speed is decent but could be improved. but thats where the ssd(special setting damper) version can come into the picture.

i got mine for pretty much the price you would pay for tein basics....but you are getting a hell lot better suspension.
Hum...interesting thought....what version stances did you get?...If I remember correctly..there are differant type they make. Where did you order your coilovers from?

Originally Posted by fuzionn
what is your integra lowered on? looks nice with the lip, is there a side skirt and rear bumper lip to complete the look?
The Integra is lowered on some AMR coilover's VERY STIFF setup..not very streetable...=(...but for a couple integra there are rear and side skirts lips to go with that front lip, but since it's a sedan...they dont make them for a sedan..

Originally Posted by markesc
Let me chime in on this one....

I have the megans, have had for 1.5 years. I think they are great given the cost. If you can find someone that knows what the **** they are doing when it comes to alignments, and can install bushings+Upper control arm camber kit, new lca, steering rack bushings; these cars simply handle amazing for what they are. NO it's not an S2k, but it has a trillion times more confidence in cornering than my wrx with sti springs @ 90+ mph.

Now the things I don't like about the megans are that that if you hit a rise in the road, the car seems to pitch upwards (both front and rear). I'm guessing this is the difference between a coilover with rebound+compression dampening vs. just compression. Correct me if I'm wrong. You'll notice this the most on straightaways on country roads. If you have a good alignment the car will not pull one way or the other....I've not had the car "corner" balanced though.

I've only seen a few true coilovers out there, it's sad that Ohlins does not make something for the SC as if you're a wrx/sti fan, you'll see they are that nice combo between comfort and performance. I encourage everyone to research some of the ohlins products and reviews.

In thought, going full circle, I still believe the megans are great for the money. However, if you consider your time/money in installation + alignment, you may consider a different setup that has a strut that better matches the spring rates, which is the cause of the bounciness. Is it the end of the world on a long road trip? not at all, they are amazing. Around town, the day in and day out grind to and from work on 30mph or slower roads is what will become old about them.

I use my SC for those 400 mile + extended road trips, and it works perfect for just that.

About me: These are my first coilovers on any car, I'm pretty picky, and I like something that is functional and looks good i.e., balance; These work for me. IF you're going to go racing or all out extreme: buckup! go spend some real money and get a setup that is meant for that type of abuse...I'm also 30 and not 18. I'd rather have something practical than "LOOK at ME!! attention please!" So I don't believe these coilovers are meant to be lowered to extreme amounts either and they will not take extreme amounts of abuse from what I've read. I drive like a fool in the corners and have had zero problems with these, but I've not had the car lowered to the ground like everyone else on these forums.

Conclusion: These will give you that 90-95% driving/fun experience at about 50% of the cost and will probably last about 60-70% the amount of time compared to better models. I'm guessing on this though.
hum...do you have any pictures of your s/c?.. and how low it sits?...What kind of tire size do you have on?..etc...

BTW THX FOR THE REPLIES GUYS...KEEP THEM COMING...

The most recent pic of the Lexus in the works..

Old 08-16-08, 09:54 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfg kevin

LOL i just noticed that like like a go kart with you in it haha
Old 08-16-08, 10:26 PM
Jfg kevin
Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
LOL i just noticed that like like a go kart with you in it haha
.........I've been told that many times..LOL.......But i'm glad it feels and drives like a GO KART..track car for sure...

Quick Reply: Megan LP series Coilovers?