Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wheel/Caliper clearance on front of 2GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 06:49 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Caliper clearance on front of 2GS?

Hey guys,

Since i've installed my coilovers in my car, i've decided to go a bit weaker on my offsets than i was originally intending. This is due to the coilovers being Insurance Group ones with 10k/6k spring rates, meaning they're very plush and compress quite a lot. So i reckon if i go too aggressive with offset my wheels will smash the guards as i go over bumps whilst turning etc...

But now my problem is, what's the go as far as brake caliper clearance is concerned on these cars? As in, how high offset can i go with a 9" wide rim in a Low Disc and clear the caliper? And same goes with a 9" High Disc?

i am looking at +27 or +30 Low Disc, or +29 High Disc. Would prefer to go the Low Disc if i can due to it having more dish and more concave face but wil go high if no-one can help me and i'm not sure.

any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

regards
Ant
Old 08-12-08, 08:38 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [ant]
Hey guys,

Since i've installed my coilovers in my car, i've decided to go a bit weaker on my offsets than i was originally intending. This is due to the coilovers being Insurance Group ones with 10k/6k spring rates, meaning they're very plush and compress quite a lot. So i reckon if i go too aggressive with offset my wheels will smash the guards as i go over bumps whilst turning etc...

But now my problem is, what's the go as far as brake caliper clearance is concerned on these cars? As in, how high offset can i go with a 9" wide rim in a Low Disc and clear the caliper? And same goes with a 9" High Disc?

i am looking at +27 or +30 Low Disc, or +29 High Disc. Would prefer to go the Low Disc if i can due to it having more dish and more concave face but wil go high if no-one can help me and i'm not sure.

any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

regards
Ant
Do you have any plans for BBK in the future?
Old 08-12-08, 05:59 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

TLW - no i dont think so. i wouldnt say im happy with the feel of the brakes per se, but the performance is okay for me. i dont intend to increase the power on this car so the stockies should be okay. So im hoping to get the low disc on there if i can..
Old 08-12-08, 07:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Low disk should work fine. Our calipers only stick out very little past the rotor hub section. You can go mid disk to be safe too.
Why don't you just roll/cut/shave your fenders, that way you can have an even more aggressive offset bacause 30et is still pretty weak.
Old 08-12-08, 09:42 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

cheers for the reply. i think i should just measure as i have found the actual clearance figures for Low and High disc (the wheels im looking at dont come in a Mid disk as they're 2 piece)

I know 30 is weak, but i tried 24 and it stuck out about 4-5mm at my ride height, so i dont mind too much going to either 27 or 30. i also dont want to run too much stretch to protect the rims. I do intend to shave a couple of mm off the guards and roll if possible without damaging..