Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing a F-Sport Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08 | 01:37 AM
tommigsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
LexyIS350, so you only bought the rear sway bar for your RWD IS350? I am thinking of doing the same thing coz I heard the rear makes the most difference but the front does not.

can you write some review of how the body roll and handling improved with only the rear sway bar?

thanks in adavnce
the rear does make the most difference. i've said it in another thread before when someone was asking about the difference between the sway bar sets that are being sold. the awd rear is the same as the full front/rear set. all you need is the rear! HUGE difference when taking corners, you're not sliding out of your seat. it compliments aftermarket springs/shocks if you have them.
Old 10-15-08 | 03:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I just got my rear sways!

Going to do an install one of these days
Old 10-16-08 | 09:50 AM
Joshg120
Driver School Candidate

so if the rear bar makes the biggest difference is it even worth buying the front one? im probably purchasing these soon for my 350
Old 10-16-08 | 10:16 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

pretty much unless you seriously track your car and the front sway bar suits your driving style. might as well get the rear chassis brace to even it out front and back.
Old 10-16-08 | 11:01 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joshg120
so if the rear bar makes the biggest difference is it even worth buying the front one? im probably purchasing these soon for my 350
the site says that the front is only like 6.3 % stiffer while the rear is 150% ...so its not really worth it
Old 10-18-08 | 05:26 PM
08mica
Pole Position

Im trying to buy these but cant load sewell's site. Is there a discount code for Carson ot l-tuned?
Old 10-21-08 | 12:06 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Has anyone with the sway bars driven really aggressive with them? Turning corner, steering response? Oversteer? Is it too stiff? Stiff enough to spin out?
Old 10-21-08 | 05:09 PM
05LSV
Lead Lap

so on the sway bar set, where do each of the two bars go? Is everyone in this post saying that only one of the sway bars is necessary? Or is the recommendation that people are saying "just get the rear" referring to the Chassis Member Brace?

Also, what is the difference in what each of the sway bars do versus what the Rear Chassis Member Brace?

Thanks...
Old 10-21-08 | 06:24 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by 2slow
Has anyone with the sway bars driven really aggressive with them? Turning corner, steering response? Oversteer? Is it too stiff? Stiff enough to spin out?
I haven't really driven "aggresively" with them, but there are a few things I've noticed:

1) When I first got the sways, I decided to "push" the car a little bit through a tight/narrow (1-lane) 90 degree turn (25 mph speed limit) to see what would happen. I don't remember how fast I was going (probably about 20-25), but the result: the car had a good steering response --> it felt as if it was going where I pointed the steering wheel. The car still pushed through the corner some, but it was much less than with the stock sways. Also, the stability control light flashed (I assume meaning that the VSC kicked in). But, I don't remember the rear end sliding, so I don't think that VSC kicked in for that reason.

2) When taking on/off ramps, the car can be driven faster and is more responsive, but will still show it's limits and feel like it's pushing

I think the best way to describe them is that they just lessen the amount of understeer in the car. I honestly don't think it's too stiff to spin out, as it still feels that there's a tendency to push/understeer. Again though, I don't drive aggressively. I bought them in hopes of making the car more fun to drive and more responsive, which it succeeded in doing.

Also, another thing that I realized is that the car seems pretty responsive to a little front weight-transfer (I think trail braking is the word)

edit: one more thing--> don't forget that tires make a big difference as well in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-21-08 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-22-08 | 05:10 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I don't know how much of a difference they make with stock wheels and tires but, I really feel the rear sway bar working it's magic after installing them and taking some really aggressive turns on both on/off ramps, empty lots and such.

I won't know to what extent it's gotten better until I take it to the track but, it's only worth it if u do track/autocross ur car.

if it's a daily driver and won't see anything that will challenge your car with handling, then save ur money and upgrade something else.

a rear sway bar won't be felt (unless u hit a lot of rough roads and bumps) and won't be seen so it's kinda pointless for show
Old 10-22-08 | 05:58 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

I disagree. I have a 2008 IS250 AWD and I noticed a huge difference in handling after installing the rear anti-sway bar (only rear is available for AWD). In my everyday driving, it is flatter in the turns and eliminates the "wobble" in fast lane changes. Makes the car feel more responsive. Now if you were referring to the chassis brace, I will agree that it will not be noticed in everyday driving and is a waste of money unless you're running on a track.
Old 10-22-08 | 06:37 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone have a discount code for Sewell?
Old 10-22-08 | 08:19 AM
05LSV
Lead Lap

I think fsport or CLUBLEXUS works at sewell. Not sure which one is better.
Old 10-22-08 | 10:13 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

On the curvy roads, during late night hours i like to drive faster where no one is around(around 4 am). I would like to reduce body roll, but i don't want to spin out having too stiff of a rear.
Old 10-22-08 | 10:15 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

At sewell they go for 420.75 no including tax or shipping with the promo code. Do they sell anywhere cheaper?

Quick Reply: Installing a F-Sport Sway Bar