Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I Need NEW ROTORS, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 06:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
say it isn't so
Absolutely so. Drilled is for a show car because it "looks good". If you care about better parts you don't drill holes in rotors, it makes them weaker and reduces their mass (which is what absorbs the heat from braking) It's unfortunate that the fast and furious crowd has made the cool looking drilled rotors an expected feature so even many performance cars are using them when they'd be better off with slotted for the track or just plain blanks for the street.
Old 08-14-08, 07:27 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would an oversize drilled or slotted rotor work for out brakes? like ones they use on BBKs....
Old 08-14-08, 07:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by radicalrev
would an oversize drilled or slotted rotor work for out brakes? like ones they use on BBKs....
That depends what you mean by work out.

Larger brakes won't stop the car in any shorter distance, no matter what you do to the rotors.

I'd suggest you read this article-

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

It explains what actually stops a car, and it explains what upgrading each component in a brake system CAN do and more importantly what it can NOT do.

In short though, if you are not:

Taking your car to a racetrack
Driving down steep mountainsides
Involved in a chase scene from a Bourne film

then no brake upgrade will be much more than costmetic. At best you'll change the feel of the system while still being able to stop in exactly the same distance you could before.
Old 08-14-08, 07:47 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

yes, just for cosmetic purpose was what i was trying to say...just makes the wheels look fuller...
Old 08-14-08, 08:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by radicalrev
yes, just for cosmetic purpose was what i was trying to say...just makes the wheels look fuller...
Yeah, just for looks, as long as it clears the wheels, go for it... the rotors (if drilled) will still be more prone to cracking, but if you're not tracking the car you'll never notice any loss of heat capacity from the holes at least. If you don't strongly prefer drilled over slotted then get slotted, they'll last longer and if you ever -do- track the car you'll be better off there too.
Old 08-14-08, 11:36 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

I will probably never track my car, so getting drilled over slotted shouldn't be a problem right? I just like the way they look, that aggressive look is going to look so sweet, DO THE TYPE OF ROTORS CHANGE THE WAY MY CAR WILL STOP?, DON'T WANT TO GET TOO TECHNICAL SO YES OR NO WILL DO, hehe!!!

thus far im having no luck with drilled rotors for our car from a reputable company, stoptech said they only had drilled, HEEEELLLPPPPP i want drilled, after searching online I founf a couple of new brands that im not that familiar with........ here they are , TELL ME WHAT YOU NOW, AND WHAT ABOUT DRILLED AND SLOTTED?

BRANDS I FOUND THAT HAD DIRECT REPLACEMENT:

ROTORA ive heard of them before

http://www.gripmotorsports.com/dl~pn...ke_Rotors.html

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...d=8&class_8=24

DISCITALIA ??????? never heard of but maybe descent drilled and slotted

http://www.lexustech.org/Brake2.htm

EBC ????????????

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...s/Brake_Rotors
Old 08-14-08, 11:37 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

in addition after researchign people are sayign that drilled and sloted rotors make noise is this true, ifso im definetely getting just regular rotors
Old 08-15-08, 05:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

There's probably a reason the reputable companies aren't offering drilled ya know :P

Most "real" performance brake companies are selling brake upgrades for performance reasons- which is the opposiute of why you'd put drilled rotors on usually.

For what you're doing with the car you're not going to notice any difference in stopping distance... you certainly might notice a difference in the "feel" of the system though.
Old 08-15-08, 09:10 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's probably a reason the reputable companies aren't offering drilled ya know :P

Most "real" performance brake companies are selling brake upgrades for performance reasons- which is the opposiute of why you'd put drilled rotors on usually.

For what you're doing with the car you're not going to notice any difference in stopping distance... you certainly might notice a difference in the "feel" of the system though.
"feel" as in more of a bite or "feel" as in im not stopping, ha!
Old 08-15-08, 04:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
"feel" as in more of a bite or "feel" as in im not stopping, ha!
Feel as in you might need more or less pedal effort to achieve a certain rate of deceleration at partial-braking levels, but your best possible stopping distance would be exactly the same as stock unless you're using some improperly designed part
Old 08-15-08, 05:09 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen oem spec brembo blanks listed on a few sites, but no prices. Are they available yet?
Old 08-15-08, 08:36 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Feel as in you might need more or less pedal effort to achieve a certain rate of deceleration at partial-braking levels, but your best possible stopping distance would be exactly the same as stock unless you're using some improperly designed part
For street use, quality cross drilled rotors will not crack. They will probably wear out before they crack. I have a car that has 20k miles on it with cross drilled. No cracking at all and it has been through stops from 120 mph

Last edited by VikH; 08-16-08 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-15-08, 08:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely so. Drilled is for a show car because it "looks good". If you care about better parts you don't drill holes in rotors, it makes them weaker and reduces their mass (which is what absorbs the heat from braking) It's unfortunate that the fast and furious crowd has made the cool looking drilled rotors an expected feature so even many performance cars are using them when they'd be better off with slotted for the track or just plain blanks for the street.
If they where so bad why do they come on some cars as OEM parts? Do we need them on an IS???

IMO any brake upgrade on the IS350 is all show and no go IMO...just as much of a waste as any aftermarket INTAKE for the car. If you are going to show your car then I do see the benefit. If not save your money and get something else IMO.

I tried the EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads on my IS350. Great pads hands down and just as much dust as the OEM. Its easier to clean but I don't feel any difference what so ever!
Old 08-15-08, 09:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
If they where so bad why do they come on some cars as OEM parts? Do we need them on an IS???
Drilled rotors come OEM on some cars because people who don't know anything about brakes but saw them on all the cars in Fast and Furious expect them to come on "performance" cars. The car companies know almost none of these people will actually tax the braking system so they can afford to put an inferior part on for show, as they don't expect anybody will really know the difference.

Originally Posted by passnu2
IMO any brake upgrade on the IS350 is all show and no go IMO...just as much of a waste as any aftermarket INTAKE for the car. If you are going to show your car then I do see the benefit. If not save your money and get something else IMO.

I tried the EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads on my IS350. Great pads hands down and just as much dust as the OEM. Its easier to clean but I don't feel any difference what so ever!

Any brake upgrade on -any- car with a decently designed OEM braking system won't produce any results unless you're taking the car to the track or frequently driving down the side of a mountain.

I'd again encourage folks to read the link posted earlier.

Now, that said, will drilled rotors fall apart the first time you use em? Of course not. Probably not the 100th or 1000th time you use em either. But are they -more- likely to crack than a solid disc? Yup.

Do they stop the car any better? Nope. Potentially they stop it worse, but again only in situations 99% of drivers won't ever be in.

They're pretty though.
Old 08-15-08, 10:33 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Drilled is worse than blank anyway unless you're buying them for a car show... Slotted is fine though.

Drilled is -more- prone to cracking, and can handle -less- heat.
then why do some car companys have them stock?

edit: I should really read the whole thread before responding lol

Last edited by wolverine; 08-15-08 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: I Need NEW ROTORS, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!