Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I Need NEW ROTORS, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 12:52 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Stoptech is in Torrance, CA and they are a OEM fitment although I forget what vehicle. I am sure they would tell you.
yeah stoptech has slotted i was looking for drilled, any ideas?
Old 08-18-08, 01:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Again, I'm not disagreeing with you. For the third time, I'm saying that slotted or drilled rotors MAY OFFER THE MANUFACTURER MORE OPTIONS with choice of pads, etc. Built correctly, (total mass, spacing/size/number of holes, etc.) Drilled rotors can be just as robust as a blank for a particular application. In other words, a manufacturer can over-build/over-design a drilled rotor to be more than adequate given the specs of the car it will go on.

Besides, do you know for a fact that Ferrari or Mercedes (and whoever else currently offers drilled brake rotors) haven't developed a new material/alloy/compound pad that may offer more mu but produce a lot more gas? Maybe they've developed a new pad composition that offers better heat resistance or less dusting, or better longevity, or all of the above but it just produced a little more gas than they prefer with a blank rotor.
And for the 3rd time, modern brake pads haven't had issues with gassing since in decades.

If you don't believe me then believe the brake engineer I just quoted to you who has literally written books on brake systems and is a consultant to Stoptech and has worked for several large car makers among others.

No matter how you built a drilled rotor it will be -more- prone to cracking than an equivalent solid one. No matter how you built a drilled rotor it will have a lower heat capacity than an equivalent solid one. It's basic physics.

Here's something telling BTW-

Porsche cars in the showroom have drilled rotors.

Porsche race cars don't

Here's one discussion that mentions it-
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...car/847/page1/

If you want more here's Wildwood:

Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

Or Stoptech:

DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-18-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 02:26 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And for the 3rd time, modern brake pads haven't had issues with gassing since in decades.
I'm not disputing this. I apologize for not being clearer. For the last time, my point is that slotted/drilled rotors may offer the manufacturer some flexibility in their pad choices. I've re-read my previous posts and don't see any indication that I disagree with you here. If there is, then my apologies again.

No matter how you built a drilled rotor it will be -more- prone to cracking than an equivalent solid one. No matter how you built a drilled rotor it will have a lower heat capacity than an equivalent solid one. It's basic physics.
I agree. All other things being equal, the drilled will, by definition, be more prone to cracking and have less heat capacity. I wasn't arguing otherwise. My point was that the drilled rotors can be overdesigned/overbuilt so that cracking/longevity is not an issue for the car they will be installed on. Put another way, you can probably take the huge rotors off of a Veryon, drill holes in it within reason, put them on a Lotus Exige, run the Exige on the track all day long and the rotors probably wouldn't fail.

So, Let's sum all of the points that I'm actually arguing in this thread and you're more than welcome to agree/disagree/comment.
1. since we agree that gassing isn't an issue, slotted and/or drilled rotors can help performance by giving dust an avenue of escape between the pad and rotor.
2. Drilled and/or slotted rotors may give the manufacturers some additional flexibility in pad material choice.
3. Drilled/slotted rotors can be overbuilt/overdesigned so that cracking/longevity issues are not an issue for a particular application.

Here's something telling BTW-

Porsche cars in the showroom have drilled rotors.

Porsche race cars don't

Here's one discussion that mentions it-
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...car/847/page1/
Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never claimed that drilled were better for racing applications. Take a look at some of my previous posts on this subject: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=rotors

Call J Ritt at Stoptech. Ask them about x-drilled rotors. They offer them for the street and show but recommend against them for the track.

Cooling/Thermodynamics argument:
1. a properly vented (internally) rotor will have sufficient flow to disperse the heat without cross drilling.
2. by cross drilling you reduce overall mass and you actually decrease the surface area (needed to dissipate the heat) of the rotors.

Whether you're doing 1 emergency stop or 10, the solid, properly vented rotor will always be cooler than the same rotor that has been cross drilled.

How many F1, Indy, Nascar, etc., race cars have you seen with cross drilled rotors? I haven't.

Have you taken a speed reading course or something. I don't mean this in a negative way. Just curious.
Old 08-18-08, 03:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have PM...hope that helps if you didn't get anything yet!

Mike
Old 08-18-08, 05:19 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
You have PM...hope that helps if you didn't get anything yet!

Mike
got it, thanks!
Old 08-18-08, 05:25 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.brakeworld.com ! they got some nice BREMBO front rotors for a NICE price! and they got some other brands for the rear...
Old 08-27-08, 11:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...0408&ad=google

Koz
Old 08-28-08, 12:23 AM
mitchsti
Driver School Candidate

ebc offers slotted and dimpled rotors i have them on my 07 is350 work great little bit of noise from slots
Old 09-12-08, 09:27 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=350PsDMeuP;3753750]ive heard bad things about lextasy, can anyone vouch for them? in addition, do the 250 and 350 have the same rotor size, but different calipar sizes or whas

stay away from Lextasy.com.....they sell junk and poor cust. service to boot!
Old 09-13-08, 09:43 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I used EBC stuff on my CBR900 and they sucked compared to the OEM honda pads. I used EBC on the integra and they sucked also compare to the OEM. I said the hell with it and stuck with OEM.

The Is350 is on OEM high dust pads and I love them. I hate the lack of COF from the low dust pads so I don't use them.

The OEM rotors are a soft material. I think Racing Brake.com makes great rotors. They are used on several NSXs and are 2-pc and lighter. They are about $650/pair but are well worth the upgrade for a rotor that doesn't show a lot of wear and will last longer.

Old 09-13-08, 09:55 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone tried Cryogenic treating "freezing" of thier brake rotors?

Any noticable differance?
Old 09-13-08, 12:48 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carchitect
The OEM rotors are a soft material. I think Racing Brake.com makes great rotors. They are used on several NSXs and are 2-pc and lighter. They are about $650/pair but are well worth the upgrade for a rotor that doesn't show a lot of wear and will last longer.

are those lighter than the stockers?
Old 09-13-08, 01:09 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you guys do, DO NOT BUY FROM BSIBRAKES they're the most F'd up company ever!!!! I repeat DO NOT buy from them. I bought rotors from them since Feb. still haven't seen anything, I got them to refund me the money after 2months of trying and still nothing. Now they won't even pick up my phone calls!!! I left message after message and they won't call me back.....F!@k I'm so pissed....
Old 09-13-08, 01:58 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by car_lost
are those lighter than the stockers?
Yeah, You'll loose anywhere from 3-5 lbs per rotor. Thats unsprung weight. The rotors are designed to "float" on the hardware too.