Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

***Endless 12-piston on IS250***

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 04:17 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dominant1
why would you need that much stopping power, is 250's are not that fast!
Neither are IS 350s. Also, what does braking power have to do with acceleration?
Old 08-16-08, 08:25 PM
Tangerine
Driver

So I guess only nice cars can have nice parts and that only functional mods should be done? Although the brakes are functional, overkill yes but still functional. And the pistons are small.
Old 08-16-08, 08:55 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you are going a 100+ mph, some times you wish you can have a quicker reaction and more powerful non fading brakes

I decided to floor it today a bit and right when I reached 100 on the empty stretch of highway, the road condition suddenly deteriorated and my wheels got caught in the groove of the road and my car swerved right out the lane by itself, I found myself wishing for better brakes, as my peddle went soft for a split sec as I stepped on to it to regain control :x
Old 08-16-08, 10:54 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

In most cases stock IS250 brakes are more than enough stopping power. Those Endless brakes are effin siiiick though!!
Old 08-17-08, 09:14 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

repost that keeps popping up, close this thread.

plus, what does acceleration have to do with stopping? a car going from 100-0mph is just as good as another car going from 100-0mph.
Old 08-17-08, 09:15 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hapaboy
repost that keeps popping up, close this thread.

plus, what does acceleration have to do with stopping? a car going from 100-0mph is just as good as another car going from 100-0mph.
Exactly my point.

People keep saying IS250 are slow and dont need that stopping power. A IS350 trying to stop and avoid an accident on the road going 100+ mph is just as slow as an IS250 going 100+ mph
Old 08-17-08, 05:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

But isn't it safe to assume with 12 piston calipers on any car you will increase your stopping power up to 2 times better then the average car behind you. So he wont be able to stop as quick.... thus ramming you!

ps: the is 350 has bigger better brakes then the is 250 because it goes faster:

Except in a single panic stop from highway speed your -stock- brakes will have exactly the same braking distance as these eleventy-pepsi-dollar upgraded brakes will.

Brakes don't stop the car.
Old 08-17-08, 08:49 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Toyota/Lexus should equip all their automobiles with a single piston caliper.

Originally Posted by hapaboy
Acceleration doesn't have to do with stopping. But a car going from 100mph-0mph will differ from another car... Look up the brake system from the Acura NSX and BMW's M cars. Less piston but more stopping distance. With a bigger brake kit you get more pad sweep area, more heat dissipation and more clamping force. Its not like the full 12 pistons will activate during normal driving. People with BBK would know the pedal difference.
Old 08-17-08, 08:58 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Toyota/Lexus should equip all their automobiles with a single piston caliper.

Acceleration doesn't have to do with stopping. But a car going from 100mph-0mph will differ from another car... Look up the brake system from the Acura NSX and BMW's M cars. Less piston but more stopping distance. With a bigger brake kit you get more pad sweep area, more heat dissipation and more clamping force. Its not like the full 12 pistons will activate during normal driving. People with BBK would know the pedal difference.
Of course all 12 pistons will activate under any driving situation.. if they didnt, the pads would wear unevening and cause more problems.
Old 08-17-08, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Some of the crap you guys come up with to justify a pure bling mod makes me LOL. No new brake will change your stopping distance. It might feel different and it might not fade as much over the course of 10+ repeated stops from 100+ mph, but it surely won't do anything better on the street.
Old 08-17-08, 10:29 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i agree t0e is all bling

ref: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...gos+take+brake
Old 08-18-08, 02:51 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

ps: the is 350 has bigger better brakes then the is 250 because it goes faster:
Dude lol, how can I explain it for you.

Faster does not = Bigger brakes.

IS250 AWD is heavier than IS350.

Thus IS250 AWD at 100mph have a greater momentum and inertia than IS350 going at 100mph.

It will take more energy to stop the AWD 250 than it will for the 350.

Top speed (most of the time) and acceleration has nothing to do with justifying the size of brakes you need.
Old 08-18-08, 08:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Have you not taken a single class in any natural sciences? Its common sense.

The 350 are fitted with larger brakes for no other purpose than track use and for show that its a car with a bigger engine, the 350 will accelerate quicker and should stop quicker than a 250 for a faster track time, or else why is it more powerful and cost more? A 250 with high performance brakes and good tires will go faster around a tight circuit than a 350 with downgraded brakes and same tires, speed is not relevant when it comes to which car gets which types of brakes. The same applies for a 350 with F sport springs, shocks and sway set + braces will out perform a ISF on a tight circuit, despite the F being "faster" in your terms and have "larger brakes".

However, at the end of a straight, both 350 and 250 AWD going neck at neck, the 250 AWD will carry more energy than the 350 and thus will suffer due to the lesser spec brakes. The 250 AWD will suffer even if it has the same spec brakes as the 350.

Hince I said it is not silly for 250 to have larger brakes if the owner can afford them as its not all for show, there is a scientific reason to support it.

And most of my replies were targeted at you, who said faster cars needs larger brakes, which for 1. makes no scientific sense and 2. sounds like those dudes who thinks adding a vortex thing to their intake pipe will give you additional HP.

Last edited by mikez; 08-18-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-19-08, 05:12 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I've driven both cars quite a bit and the is 350 brakes are much better and feel much safer then the is 250 brakes on regular road....you won't find any factory super cars with regular brakes mounted gents..and the factory knows that most guys that buy their super cars seldom put track time in. ..you never see a fast car from the factory with mediocre brakes and likewise its stupid to put serious brakes on a slow car like the is 250...you will never convince me that there is no relation between a car's ability for speed and stout brakes....the 2 go hand and hand... if I'm doing 142 mph and have to use the brakes i want the is 350's brakes over the is 250's brakes at 130mph... the top speeds of both cars...we can go back and fourth all night guys you will never convince me there's no relation...
You just prove my point. If I am going at that speed in a 250 I would want the 350's brakes too, why wouldn't I?

If you are going 40 mph which would you prefer? Not much difference there right?

You can have a fast and powerful car vs a slow and weak one, but both car going at 100 mph or 40 mph are 2 cars going at the same speed, not one faster than the other, so preferably, you would want the better brake on your car if you plan on going at high speeds, and you don't need a supercar to easily achieve 100+ mph on a highway.

100 lb of feather weights the same as 100 lb of lead.

I think you should go take a look at the E90 M3's stock brakes, its got slightly bigger rotor than the 350, but it has the same 250 caliper.. now why doesn't a fast car like that need massive brakes with huge brake pads?

Because its lighter, in order to achieve the factory determined acceptable stopping distance, a lighter M3 who is also faster does not need the same size brakes as a heavier but slower 350.

Its true faster and more powerful car's have larger brakes, yes indeed. But you are misinformed and full of wrong information fed by the media. Do you know why super car have bigger brakes? I think it is due to the fact that a Ferrari should stop from 60mph - 0 mph in like 60 feet rather a 120 feet like a Prius, because a Ferrari is suppose to be a performance car. But no one said you cant make the Prius stop in 60 ft too with larger brakes, its just no one buys a Prius for that reason... and yet both car are within the highway safety law of stopping distance.

PS: I bet you good money (not literally lol) that the Ariel Atom have smaller brakes than your 350... and that is for a car that can hit 60 in less than 2 seconds and have more horse power and tq per ton than a Buggatti Veyron

Also dominant1, we are both fellow Lexus owners and I have the uttermost respect for you, if you find anything I say offensive please know that I don't mean to offend you in any way. This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of customer rep from my company lol, she keep claiming driving her huge SUV is plenty safe because its heavy and thus its stable, and that because she has more power her car is quicker and handles better than smaller cars.

Last edited by mikez; 08-19-08 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 09:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
...However, at the end of a straight, both 350 and 250 AWD going neck at neck, the 250 AWD will carry more energy than the 350 and thus will suffer due to the lesser spec brakes. The 250 AWD will suffer even if it has the same spec brakes as the 350...
This isn't going to happen because the AWD 250 does not have sufficient power to generate the same speed over distance.

Brake caliper selection has nothing to do with stopping distance. Stopping distance depends entirely on one thing - friction between the tire and the road. Bigger brakes get you fade resistance at the cost of additional unsprung weight, nothing more, nothing less.

So, a faster (read better accelerating) vehicle needs better brakes because it is capable of generating more kinetic energy that has to be turned into heat. More heat capacity is what bigger brakes are made to handle. So, yes, the car's ability to accelerate and it's ability to decelerate are inexorably linked, and yes, a car that accelerates quicker needs better brakes.

Also - a modern vehicle with ABS does not care if the brakes feel good or not. It will stop at the limits of the road/tire interface without any regard for how confident the driver feels. Saying a brake system "feels" better means nothing to an ABS equipped car.

Quick Reply: ***Endless 12-piston on IS250***