Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F sport shocks and springs over the sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 02:18 PM
Mark350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F sport shocks and springs over the sport suspension?

Is it worth it to swap out the sports suspension and replace it with the F sport shocks and springs? Or is it just going to make the car a little lower, and do nothing for handling
Old 08-15-08, 04:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The sport springs are linear, the F-sports are progressive. Some consider that a downgrade.
Old 08-15-08, 08:18 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mark350
Is it worth it to swap out the sports suspension and replace it with the F sport shocks and springs? Or is it just going to make the car a little lower, and do nothing for handling
F-Sports are mainly for looks, but I have a feeling that they would handle better against an Sport Pack car. Although, if you want to improve handling, sell your 2IS and get a BMW. These cars are not meant for the track. If you really want handling and do not want to sell your car then get coilovers.
Old 08-15-08, 09:33 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The sport springs are linear, the F-sports are progressive. Some consider that a downgrade.
I am sorry to sound stupid here, but can you please tell me the difference between linear and progressive suspension?

I currently have a sport suspension on my IS 350 and i was thinking of going with F-Sport Sway bar kit to reduce the body roll.
Old 08-18-08, 02:37 PM
Mark350
Driver

Would the sport suspension shocks be a good combo with the f-sport springs, or would it be worth the extra cash to buy the f-sport shocks as well and get rid of the whole sport suspension completely?
Old 08-18-08, 04:03 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrsardar
I am sorry to sound stupid here, but can you please tell me the difference between linear and progressive suspension?

I currently have a sport suspension on my IS 350 and i was thinking of going with F-Sport Sway bar kit to reduce the body roll.

Progressive Springs

Progressive springs use a combination lower and higher spring rates to achieve the level of travel and ride comfort vs. performance tradeoff that they desire. Car designers must decide how they want the car to ride and handle and in what environment the vehicle will be used and make adjustments accordingly. For example, a luxury car maker will design a spring that is very long in length and has a high proportion of lower spring rate to higher spring rate. This allows the spring to move through a large range of motion and provide a very soft ride without any chance of bottoming out. This is achieved by the soft portion of the spring being the most active. When the suspension encounters a bump the soft portion of the spring is the first to react and absorbs the energy. If a larger bump is encountered, more of the spring will be used until the resistance provided by the spring, matches the energy that is generated by the bump.

When the spring does not have enough resistance to counter this energy, its coils are pressed tightly together and it is said to "bottom out". When this happens the spring rate skyrockets as the spring mimics a solid piece of steel.

Linear Springs

In racing applications, the need for ride comfort provided by a progressive spring, may be outweighed by the need for increased performance. When this happens a linear spring is used. Unlike a progressive spring that increases its rigidity in small increments as it is compressed, a linear spring increases its rigidity exponentially as it is compressed. For this reason linear springs are much stiffer and provide a much less compliant ride than their progressive counterparts. Linear springs can be much shorter in length due to their much higher spring rates. This has the added benefit of lowering the cars center of gravity and also reduces its body roll.
Originally Posted by Mark350
Would the sport suspension shocks be a good combo with the f-sport springs, or would it be worth the extra cash to buy the f-sport shocks as well and get rid of the whole sport suspension completely?
The F Springs will work fine with your sport shocks. There has not been a comparison of Sport Pack vs. F Springs/Shocks yet.
Old 08-18-08, 04:22 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i'm even happy with F-sport springs with stock shocks
Old 08-19-08, 12:28 AM
Mark350
Driver

Im assuming f-sport springs won't put a lot of extra stress on the shocks since its a small drop, that was a problem on my old prelude the shocks didnt last too long when i put springs on, granted they were h&r race...the cv boots tore pretty quick as well.

Just don't want to wear out the shocks or any other suspension components quicker than i have to!
Old 08-19-08, 06:27 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

If the shocks wear out then you can get em replaced under warranty since Lexus states that running just F springs is fine.