Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 10:51 AM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Replacement

I have 88,000 miles on my GS300 and was really surprised how long the brakes last. When are the front pads typically replaced? My pedal is getting a little spongy feeling. Has anyone replaced the front and rear pads on a 2nd generation GS300? Is this easy to do? I was also surprised no one has discussed this in the forum, I guess everyone just takes their car in for the service... I must be old school! Heck if anything, it allows me a good excuse to crack some beers and hang out in the garage Any response to this subject will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-08, 10:55 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the Sticky's: Hello all (Links to most DIYs for the GS) PLEASE LOOK HERE BEFORE YOU SEARCH!!
Old 08-25-08, 01:33 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

While possible, I would be suprised that these are the original brake pads.
I drive 70% highway where you would get the least amount of brake wear (if you drive properly) and have 20" wheels (read heavy), and can go roughly 50,000 miles between pads. Stop and go traffic is going to be the obvious heavy wear arena and if you add larger (heavier) wheels you are gong to lean on that brake system just that much more. My rear pads have gone up to 80,000 miles before being replaced.
Old 08-25-08, 02:15 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

I'm the original owner and would know if they were replaced... No replacement since new. I've driven in city and highway traffic up and down Sierra Nevada Foothills and consider myself "easy on the brakes" kind of driver. The previous post gave a great link but applies to 1st generation. I wonder if the process or design is very similar to 2nd gen. thanks
Old 08-25-08, 02:49 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Wow...you've really got your monies worth out of them.
Changing the pads are simple. I'm sure there is a DYI somewhere on this forum for GS2 series. I just did my brakes and rotors about 2 weeks ago.
Spongy brake might be related to expanding rubber brake lines; replacing them with new or braided high performance lines generally bring back the pedal pressure. You would probably be very suprised how much old rubber lines can ballon up when the brakes are applied.

Good Luck.
Old 08-25-08, 02:59 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Here you go.....

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/
Old 10-18-08, 07:04 PM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vrferrari
I must be missing it. Where on banana's page is there a tutorial on replacing STOCK pads. Only thing I saw was for the Supra conversion.
JimA
Old 10-23-08, 07:35 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gunnut
I must be missing it. Where on banana's page is there a tutorial on replacing STOCK pads. Only thing I saw was for the Supra conversion.
JimA
The same steps apply to the stock brake pads
Old 10-26-08, 08:25 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am I the only one who rear pads wear evenly with the front? I always found this weird...
Old 10-26-08, 03:06 PM
Rick James
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocklings
I have 88,000 miles on my GS300 and was really surprised how long the brakes last. When are the front pads typically replaced? My pedal is getting a little spongy feeling. Has anyone replaced the front and rear pads on a 2nd generation GS300? Is this easy to do? I was also surprised no one has discussed this in the forum, I guess everyone just takes their car in for the service... I must be old school! Heck if anything, it allows me a good excuse to crack some beers and hang out in the garage Any response to this subject will be greatly appreciated!
Here is a DIY in the brake ans suspension section. If you are noticing a spongy feeling the pads are probably a lil low.
http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

Last edited by Rick James; 10-26-08 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add more
Old 07-16-09, 10:12 PM
lexstocker
Driver School Candidate

not to raise a dead thread but just wondering if you ever ended up doing the brakes on your own or did you go to the dealer?
Old 07-17-09, 12:29 AM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Hi lexstocker, yes I did do the breaks and they were WAY easier that imagined. Total time beginning to end was about 1 hr and that was paying careful attention to detail. The front pad pop straight out after removing an expandable clip and two pins going through the caliper. I put some blue break quiet on the back and have had no noise. I did not need to turn my rotors and everything is like new. Definitely buy the pads from Toyota or Lexus and get OEM quality. Probably the hardest part was collapsing the pistons and keeping an eye on the fluid reservoir. Otherwise a simple job... hope this helps and if you have any skills and [like me] use to crank on a 1969 Camaro as a teen, then you will have no issues.

Last edited by rocklings; 07-17-09 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo