Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Confusion about adjusting my Tein's dampening

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 11:09 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a search through the internet got me to this picture. it shows the tool used for adjusting the dampening.
Not sure if it has to be bought separately cos seller did not send these with the coilovers.
anyone know how much these are or where to get them?

thanks
olddog
Old 12-02-08, 01:07 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

there is suppose to be a hex key that goes into the middle of the opening, which allows you to turn the dampening.

be careful about riding on the stiffer side for prolong periods of time. if you adjust your shocks stiffer than what the spring can absorb, you are essentially using your shock to absorb energy instead of dampening, which leads to premature shock failure.
Old 01-10-09, 08:15 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Ok to end this confusion, I finally figured this out and i feel a bit stupid for not getting it beforehand. Because i read that i was supposed to adjust the shocks with the included tools i thought i was supposed to turn the nut at the base of the protrusion on top of the shock. There are two tools, one is a tiny allen wrench, and the ohter is a set of wrenches. I had forgot about the allen wrench completely when it came time to adjust them so i was looking for a way to adjust them with the wrenches alone. On the wrenches there is a cut out that fits on to the nut and thats what i thought i was supposed to use. I am not sure what turning this nut does but it does not adjust the dampening. The dampening is adjusted by turning the pencil eraser sized **** at the top of the protrusion that has a whole for an allen wrench on the very top cut in to it. This **** can be turned with your fingers very easily so I cant see why you would need a tool for it.

And olddog, yes it appears that the part of your coilover that you need to adjust the dampening with is missing.

And to make this idiot proof for other less mechanically inclined peeps like myself....

So this leaves me with one more question: I was turning the hell out of that larger nut on all my coilovers trying to feel the clicks to no avail. So what does this do? Is there a possibility that i damaged them at all? Does anyone know what this nut is used to adjust?

Old 01-11-09, 07:37 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The larger nut is what holds the upper mount assembly to the shock/coilover. ( I may not be using proper terminology) anyway, you definitely do not want to be loosening that bolt.

The small hex tool is not for adjusting the damping setting, as you mentioned you do that by hand (only 16 clicks to the left from full tight for Tein SS) There is a small hex screw inside the end of the shock shaft, that is where you need the small hex tool, but I am fairly certain you don't need it unless you are installing the EDFC. The EDFC kit comes with (or used to come with) a different hex screw that you had to install using the small hex tool, but when I contacted a Tein rep. about it he said they no longer need the replacement hex screw for EDFC (just for the SS??).

SO.... you may not even need the hex tool at all, but contact Tein just to be safe.