Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Confusion about adjusting my Tein's dampening

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 08:38 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confusion about adjusting my Tein's dampening

So i want to stiffen up my tein CS in the rear. The installer set the rears at "8" i believe. As i understand i am supposed to turn the nut all the way clockwise until it stops and wont budge anymore and there are supposed to be 16 settings: 0=hardest, 16=softest. The really confusing thing is that i have already turned them past what should be the hardest setting. I marked one side of the nut and counted each time i turned it a full rotation. I did this for at least 12 full turns and was still able to turn it farther with the same amount of resistance. If it was already at "8" and i just turned it "12" more turns that means it would be at "20" and is turning way past the hardest setting. I am wondering for each setting (0-16) does that equal one full turn or what?? I would continue to just keep turning the damn thing clockwise but i dont want to damage my shocks. Can anyone please help me out on this and tell me why it wont stop turning.
Old 08-31-08, 10:42 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

still waiting...
Old 09-01-08, 08:57 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfesrLEX
So i want to stiffen up my tein CS in the rear. The installer set the rears at "8" i believe. As i understand i am supposed to turn the nut all the way clockwise until it stops and wont budge anymore and there are supposed to be 16 settings: 0=hardest, 16=softest. The really confusing thing is that i have already turned them past what should be the hardest setting. I marked one side of the nut and counted each time i turned it a full rotation. I did this for at least 12 full turns and was still able to turn it farther with the same amount of resistance. If it was already at "8" and i just turned it "12" more turns that means it would be at "20" and is turning way past the hardest setting. I am wondering for each setting (0-16) does that equal one full turn or what?? I would continue to just keep turning the damn thing clockwise but i dont want to damage my shocks. Can anyone please help me out on this and tell me why it wont stop turning.
Yea can someone please chime in, I just got my Tein CS installed and would like to know the proper way to adjust the dampening settings.
thanks
Old 09-01-08, 09:02 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you turn it clockwise until it stops turning. that's full stiff. then you count the clicks counterclockwise and don't turn it counterclokwise anymore than 16 clicks.
Old 09-01-08, 10:48 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
you turn it clockwise until it stops turning. that's full stiff. then you count the clicks counterclockwise and don't turn it counterclokwise anymore than 16 clicks.
Yes - count the CLICKS - not a full rotation on the ****. There are 16 click settings for adjustment. Enjoy!
Old 09-01-08, 03:17 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Yes - count the CLICKS - not a full rotation on the ****. There are 16 click settings for adjustment. Enjoy!

Ok but how do i know when it clicks? I don't seem to be able to feel a click or hear a click when i'm rotating the nut. Maybe its really suttle and im missing it. Sorry
Old 09-01-08, 03:26 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Ok but how do i know when it clicks? I don't seem to be able to feel a click or hear a click when i'm rotating the nut. Maybe its really suttle and im missing it. Sorry

You can feel the click - it's not that loud that you would hear it. If you can't feel it click into each of the 16 setting you need to take your car back to the place that installed it and let them check it out. You may have a problem with the set you got or maybe they need to tighten the top nuts down a bit. Good luck!
Old 09-03-08, 02:08 PM
wuznme
Driver School Candidate

There is not a nut to turn, at the top of the shaft is where you turn to make the adjustment.
Old 09-03-08, 04:03 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wuznme
There is not a nut to turn, at the top of the shaft is where you turn to make the adjustment.
Im turning the hexagonal shaped nut thing, i think thats what it says in the manual. Are you saying i'm supposed to turn the cylindrical ****? i thought that was just for the EDFC
Old 09-03-08, 04:20 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

you are suppose to use the HEX tool that looks like an allen wrench that came with the TEINS to adjust the dampening.

I got this email from TEIN:

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance suspension products.
To adjust the damper force on our coilovers, we ask that the click **** be rotated full clockwise to achieve the damper's stiffest setting. Then rotating the click **** counter-clockwise 16 clicks to achieve the dampers softest setting. We highly recommend that the click **** be adjusted past
16 clicks to help prevent premature damage to the damper. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com
Old 09-04-08, 12:04 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Im turning the hexagonal shaped nut thing, i think thats what it says in the manual. Are you saying i'm supposed to turn the cylindrical ****? i thought that was just for the EDFC
If you are having this much trouble with this very simple thing you really really should just go back and see your mechanic and let them explain and show you how it works. This would be the best thing to get you on the right track with these. Good luck!
Old 09-04-08, 04:32 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KIEUGS3
you are suppose to use the HEX tool that looks like an allen wrench that came with the TEINS to adjust the dampening.

I got this email from TEIN:

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance suspension products.
To adjust the damper force on our coilovers, we ask that the click **** be rotated full clockwise to achieve the damper's stiffest setting. Then rotating the click **** counter-clockwise 16 clicks to achieve the dampers softest setting. We highly recommend that the click **** be adjusted past
16 clicks to help prevent premature damage to the damper. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com
Do you happen to have their email address?
Old 09-04-08, 12:11 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KIEUGS3
you don't need it. you can turn the **** easy with your fingers.
there's a rubber cap over the **** in this pic.
Old 12-01-08, 08:50 PM
olddog
Pole Position

am bumping this thread instead of starting a new one cos i dont want to flood the forum.
I finally installed my Tein CS (thanks to jonny2k) and am loving it. It is dropped on the stock 17s and am prettty happy. its a hell of a drop. Not sure why guys want to go lower...lol

Anyways, I just have 2 main things that i need to be educated on.
How to i use those 2 wrenches in adjusting the height. Can someone please elaborate.

Also, in regards to the dampening, which "thingy" does one have to turn to increase or reduce dampening.
I thought it was the hexagon nut like "thingy" on the piston rod. Am i missing something. Mine does not come with the black rubber cap "thingy" like shown above. Is there something it is covering that needs to be adjusted for dampening instead of the hexagon nutlike "thingy"?
I tried rotating the hexagon nut like thingy in a clockwise direction to try and get it to the end (which i believe is thee hardest setting) so i can then adjust it by rotating it between 0-16 clicks in the anti-clockwise direction to get it to a softer dampening setting. But the hexagon thingy just keeps rotating clockwise like there is no end. It is not loose or anything but i didn't want to keep going until i got some info on here.

thanks

olddog
Old 12-01-08, 10:19 PM
olddog
Pole Position

here is a picture of what i have....can someone tell me if am missing something.

Quick Reply: Confusion about adjusting my Tein's dampening