Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Riding Low on Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 08:04 PM
jinglis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Low on Driver's Side

I've got a '92 SC400 and the driver's side is noticeably lower than the passenger side (about an inch). It is probably sagging as the springs have never been changed. I don't want to change the suspension setup, but the OEM parts are probably pretty expensive. What is the best advice to keep it fairly stock at a reasonable cost? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-08, 09:49 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

wow.. how did that happen? what springs did you get? are you on coilovers or just lowering springs?
Old 10-05-08, 11:33 AM
jinglis
Driver School Candidate

It presumably happened over the years - I didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out. I usually don't have passengers so it could just be that the springs/shocks on the driver's side have worn out sooner than the other side.

"what springs did you get? are you on coilovers or just lowering springs?"

I haven't got anything yet - Looking for suggestions. It is stcok original and I want to keep it fairly stock in ride and handling. Should I change just the springs or the shocks as well? What would you suggest?
Old 10-05-08, 12:41 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You probably just need to replace the shock(s) on your car. A worn or blown shock can cause a corner to sag a little.
Old 10-05-08, 12:52 PM
jinglis
Driver School Candidate

What is the difference between replacing the springs, replacing the shocks and a coilover? It looks to me like the stock units are combination shocks/springs.
Old 10-05-08, 06:04 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jinglis
What is the difference between replacing the springs, replacing the shocks and a coilover? It looks to me like the stock units are combination shocks/springs.
Aftermarket "coilover" units are shock/spring combination. They cost too much money and are not worth buying unless you race your car. The factory springs and shocks are separate units. You typically don't need to replace the springs as they rarely go bad.
Old 10-05-08, 08:47 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The SC has a tendency when stock to sit a little lower on the driver's side for some reason I've heard. I agree with getting some new shocks/struts first though and seeing what that does for you. Coilovers will let you adjust each corner to whatever you want.
Old 10-05-08, 09:41 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed my car was about 1/4 inch lower on the driver's side when I was running my Eibach spring with stock shock setup...I replaced my spring and shock setup with Tein CS and problem was solved...Although I must admit the driver's side does camber a bit more than the passenger...Go figure...

Nothing is perfect...
Old 12-19-08, 10:11 AM
Dankysc300
Driver School Candidate

Most cars sit lower on one side than the other from the factory. Its just much more noticable when the car is lowered and the gap in smaller from the top of the tire to the fender. Cars are designed like this from the factory for water run off. to keep water from sitting in body lines. Ive been told that it is the body that is mounted slightly lower on one side not the suspension. So DO NOT compensate for the difference by raising your coilovers on one side.
Old 12-19-08, 10:30 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

So it's low on driver side and I'm not paranoid. I always thought it looks so and tire rub only on driver side.
Old 12-19-08, 08:49 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dankysc300
Most cars sit lower on one side than the other from the factory. Its just much more noticable when the car is lowered and the gap in smaller from the top of the tire to the fender. Cars are designed like this from the factory for water run off. to keep water from sitting in body lines. Ive been told that it is the body that is mounted slightly lower on one side not the suspension. So DO NOT compensate for the difference by raising your coilovers on one side.
This CAN'T be true. It's just too absurd.
Old 12-20-08, 01:01 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

yup, after I lowered my car, I noticed the same thing. The drivers side was WAY lower than the passenger's side. Same with one of my friend's NEW IS350 lowered on NEW eibachs. I dont like that