Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I'm tired of cleaning the brake dust off of my wife's IS250. SO...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 03:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisgo17
Close up of finger test.
If that's all you got after 200 miles of city driving, you are doing REAL GOOD! With the old pads, you'll have a film from .05 miles of driving down the street. Maybe they changed the 09's afterall.
Old 10-19-08, 03:57 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisgo17
The Brake Dust issue appears to not have been resolved on the 09's, unless I am just being picky. Picture taken is after 200 miles of city driving within 1 week. Is this normal? I used the old finger test.
Im trying to understand why people dont realize that there IS NO PROBLEM TO RESOLVE. This is the way Lexus designed the braking system on this car! So there is no problem to resolve. Lexus took it upon themselves to address this concern that some owners were having, by releasing an ALTERNATIVE brake pad set that customers can have installed under warranty. Again, the dust is NORMAL. It is a byproduct of superior braking components, designed to give the best pedal feel, performance, resistance to fade, etc.

Will Lexus release a TSIB for the 09 cars? Most likely, if enough people complain. If people continue to complain, im sure Lexus will start re-focusing on luxury and not care so much about performance in the future. Thats a step backward....
Old 10-22-08, 11:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Im trying to understand why people dont realize that there IS NO PROBLEM TO RESOLVE. This is the way Lexus designed the braking system on this car! So there is no problem to resolve. Lexus took it upon themselves to address this concern that some owners were having, by releasing an ALTERNATIVE brake pad set that customers can have installed under warranty. Again, the dust is NORMAL. It is a byproduct of superior braking components, designed to give the best pedal feel, performance, resistance to fade, etc.

Will Lexus release a TSIB for the 09 cars? Most likely, if enough people complain. If people continue to complain, im sure Lexus will start re-focusing on luxury and not care so much about performance in the future. Thats a step backward....
For 99% of lexus drivers their primary braking concern will be a single panic stop or casual traffic stops.

Where the TSIB pads will offer -exactly- the same performance as the original high-dust ones, with a smoother pedal feel too.

For the 1% that take the car to the track they can swap on different friction material for better resistance to fade with repeated high-speed stops.

That makes a lot more sense that doing it the other way round.
Old 09-13-09, 07:48 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yes, here's all the proof you need.
I'm looking for this TSIB too, but the link is gone?
Old 09-13-09, 11:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

That Kleen Wheels thing is not very good from what I've heard. The inside of your wheels and all your brake components get caked in brake dust.
Old 09-14-09, 04:58 AM
3KGTVR4
Driver School Candidate

Excuse my noob question ! But what is TSB ?
i have a is250 2009 in Sweden, and the same problem with the dust ! and i have chrome wheels so its even more problems with them.. so i wounder what this TSB is that every one is talking about and if there are other new ways to minimize the dust ?
Old 09-14-09, 08:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3KGTVR4
Excuse my noob question ! But what is TSB ?
i have a is250 2009 in Sweden, and the same problem with the dust ! and i have chrome wheels so its even more problems with them.. so i wounder what this TSB is that every one is talking about and if there are other new ways to minimize the dust ?
Technical Service Bulletin

They replace the high-dust pads with ones that don't produce hardly any dust at all, for free under warranty.

(which is what I'd suggest you do, assuming it applies to cars outside the US... and if not I'd still suggest it as the best solution, you'd just have to pay for it)
Old 09-14-09, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTIS250

The front brake dust is abnormal and unacceptable to a typical Lexus owner like myself. I had the free pads installed a few months ago on my IS350 and I'm very happy with the braking performance and low dust output. So Lexus again has achieved customer satisfaction.

This is not a step backwards IMO. Customer satisfaction is a positive step. My last 2 Porsches had high performance brakes with lower dust output than the IS350 with the old front brake pads.

Btw, Mercedes with the new C-Class has had a similar issue with rear brake pad dust and they also have addressed the issue with revised pads for the customers that complain. Again premium car makers are listening to the customer and coming up with solutions to address customer concerns and maintain premium car performance.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-14-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 10:27 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Last time I tried doing the TSB, they didn't want to do it because my car is an 08 and the TSB ended with '07s. But then I found a different dealer who were willing to do it for me for free, but the manager warned me that I might get some squeal from the new pads. He also explained that Lexus were making a new version of their pads that wouldn't have any squeal or dust and they were supposed to arrive this year. So I'm still on my original pads, since I wanted to wait for the newer version. I don't know if I should just go and get it done.
Old 09-14-09, 11:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Last time I tried doing the TSB, they didn't want to do it because my car is an 08 and the TSB ended with '07s. But then I found a different dealer who were willing to do it for me for free, but the manager warned me that I might get some squeal from the new pads. He also explained that Lexus were making a new version of their pads that wouldn't have any squeal or dust and they were supposed to arrive this year. So I'm still on my original pads, since I wanted to wait for the newer version. I don't know if I should just go and get it done.
There's no "new version" of the pads.

In mid-09 the official OEM part was supposedly changed to be the low-dust pads, but they're the same ones used since the TSIB was first issued.

If installed correctly there should be no noise issues (there were certainly none on mine)
Old 09-14-09, 11:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I wouldn't go out of your way to get the pads updated - they made absolutely no difference on my car - still boatloads of brake dust!
Old 09-14-09, 12:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I wouldn't go out of your way to get the pads updated - they made absolutely no difference on my car - still boatloads of brake dust!
Bummer, sounds like they replaced pads with something other than low dust front pads.

I had low dust front pads installed in June, brake dust is reduced by a huge amount on front wheels.
Old 09-14-09, 01:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
You flat out did not get the TSIB pads then. You wouldn't be the first person where the dealer screwed up and put stock pads back on the car.

The difference is VERY obvious
Old 09-14-09, 01:33 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Might as well put these in your car. The Kleen Wheel covers are far too tacky for a car of this level... seriously, invest in a good pair of low-dust brake pads or get the TSB done. It helps.

Old 09-14-09, 05:14 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Might as well put these in your car. The Kleen Wheel covers are far too tacky for a car of this level... seriously, invest in a good pair of low-dust brake pads or get the TSB done. It helps.

HEY! I have that in my car actually. I LOVE TAZ!

Quick Reply: I'm tired of cleaning the brake dust off of my wife's IS250. SO...