Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB for 2008 Owners Finally Released!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 10:58 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Guys Guys Guys....

I think we all can agree. That the difference in stopping distance will be very infinitesimal, when changing brake pads from non-TSIB to TSIB brakes.

But, I think we can all Agree to disagree, how infinitesimal those differences will be.

Be it 10 feet, 5 feet, or 2 feet. As the pad test indicated, it looks as if the more aggressive pad was outperformed by the less aggressive pad, unless i am reading the test wrong (correct me if am).

But, we all should agree, that the feeling or responsiveness will be greatly different, and will take some time to get used to.

We also know that this pad will fail severely on any type of race track or aggressive driving test.

Lets just remember, we are just talking about a brake pad, and not an entire braking system.

Since we like braking (no pun intended ) out mathematical formulas, i have one for you...

not (a ≠ b) does not have to mean a = b.

A nilsquare or nilpotent infinitesimal can then be defined.

This is a number x where x2 = 0 is true, but x = 0 need not be true at the same time.

With an infinitesimal such as this, algebraic proofs using infinitesimals are quite rigorous, including the one given above.

No more fuzzy numbers please (as Bush would say)

PLEASE FIND A NEW JOB SO YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE POSTS LIKE THIS
Old 10-27-08, 01:01 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

Im at the Lexus dealership right now getting my brakes done!!finally haha
Old 10-28-08, 07:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I would like to report the "pro" on the Alternative pads me & Javy installed a couple of weeks ago.

I have done 5 days of hard driving after finally washing my car (dirty for over 6 weeks), my wheels still look CLEAN & fresh !!!! LoL

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-28-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-09-08, 12:07 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, late to the party ... I just read the TSIB for the brake dust problem. I have an '08 IS350 with pretty ridiculous brake dust issues, so I'd be interested in a swap...

A couple of questions:
1) Do all IS350s come standard from the factory with the "dusty" brake pads, or did some 08s and 09s get the alternative "cleaner" pads as OEM?

2) If I want the "cleaner" pads installed, do I just take a copy of the TSIB to my local dealer and set up an appointment?

3) Read some discussion on these forums of dealers wanting to charge for brake pad swap. If it's an active TSIB, can they do that?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-08, 12:21 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. No these "alternative" pads are not standard equip on either IS250/350s for any model year. Thats why they are labeled officially as "alternative pads".
2. Yes take a copy of the TSIB to your local dealer to save you the hassle of explaining what a "alternative pads are.
3. They should not charge you for doing any TSIB warranty work. Although the last time i went to the dealer the advisor did mention corp may start making them charge for this specific TSIB. However, it's yet to confirmed that anyones been charged...

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Sorry, late to the party ... I just read the TSIB for the brake dust problem. I have an '08 IS350 with pretty ridiculous brake dust issues, so I'd be interested in a swap...

A couple of questions:
1) Do all IS350s come standard from the factory with the "dusty" brake pads, or did some 08s and 09s get the alternative "cleaner" pads as OEM?

2) If I want the "cleaner" pads installed, do I just take a copy of the TSIB to my local dealer and set up an appointment?

3) Read some discussion on these forums of dealers wanting to charge for brake pad swap. If it's an active TSIB, can they do that?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-08, 03:29 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the info

Originally Posted by XprincoX
1. No these "alternative" pads are not standard equip on either IS250/350s for any model year. Thats why they are labeled officially as "alternative pads".
2. Yes take a copy of the TSIB to your local dealer to save you the hassle of explaining what a "alternative pads are.
3. They should not charge you for doing any TSIB warranty work. Although the last time i went to the dealer the advisor did mention corp may start making them charge for this specific TSIB. However, it's yet to confirmed that anyones been charged...
Old 11-09-08, 03:42 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

no prob. If a dealer says they're gonna charge you call up some other dealers.
Old 11-18-08, 09:04 AM
tieu
Rookie

My car is a 08 delivered on august first week in canada.
apparently my car already CAME with alternative pads which is not true because i get dust in a day of driving.. i would take my pads off and show them the part # if it wasent so cold out here.

any ideas how to get a dealer to do this?
Old 11-18-08, 09:10 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tieu
My car is a 08 delivered on august first week in canada.
apparently my car already CAME with alternative pads which is not true because i get dust in a day of driving.. i would take my pads off and show them the part # if it wasent so cold out here.

any ideas how to get a dealer to do this?
take it to your local dealer with the TSIB in hand. If they will not perform the warranty work for you go to a different dealer.
Old 11-18-08, 07:53 PM
tieu
Rookie

i have but because its the american version, the service manager decided to call into lexus canada and give them my VIN number to verify.

he said no but he said if i am having the problem then he will take a picture of my rims and send it to lexus canada. hahaha
ill try anoter dealership
Old 03-16-09, 09:34 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Just had this done on my Lexus during my 15k service. Hopefully it will help. At first the service manager pointed out my excessive brake dust and said "lets take care of the brake dust next time". Well the next time was my 15k and I pointed it out to the service guy with the tsib in hand. He said he'll put a note on it for the mechanics to look at. I got my car back later in the evening and he said they replaced the brake pads. Hopefully I'll notice a difference in brake dust. So far, no squeaks or noises coming from brakes. I looked at receipt, looks like they put on 04465-53030 part number for the brake.
Old 03-20-09, 05:46 AM
kickingras
Driver School Candidate

I checked in Ottawa Canada dealership and was told that my 08 already had the updated pads( no way because they are dirty ofter one day). The bulletin is still currently only a US initiative NOT CANADA. This sucks.
Can any Canadians confirm that they have had the pads replaced under warranty?
Old 03-20-09, 07:14 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm there not covering this in Canada? I wantted to talk to them about this when I do my first oil change.
Old 03-21-09, 12:10 PM
KML505
Driver

Hey guys. I have 52XXX miles on my 06. Do you guys think the dealer will perform this upgrade for free? Probably not since it already surpassed the 50K mark, but cant I use the argument that I never received the letter and just found out recently through this forum? Appreciate any feed back. Thanks.
Old 03-21-09, 12:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KML505
Hey guys. I have 52XXX miles on my 06. Do you guys think the dealer will perform this upgrade for free? Probably not since it already surpassed the 50K mark, but cant I use the argument that I never received the letter and just found out recently through this forum? Appreciate any feed back. Thanks.
If you ever previously complained about excessive front brake dust (to the dealer) then you could make a case perhaps... especially if you have them do a fair bit of work on your car (normal maint and such) then they might do it as a courtesy to keep your business... but unless you actually have a pre-50k complaint on file with them for the issue and they simply decided not to inform you of the TSIB option they'd be under no obligation to do anything now at 52k.

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB for 2008 Owners Finally Released!