Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

replacing brake master cylinder after LS400 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 08:37 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a procedure listed in the SC shop factory manual for bleeding JUST the MASTER brake cylinder while it is still in the car(Insures that there is no air in master cylinder)Remove both brake lines at the master cylinder, making sure that you have plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir. Put a large rag/towel where the brake lines were to absorbs the brake fluid shooting out. (Remember brake fluid is a GREAT paint remover!) SLOWLY depress the brake pedal and hold it down to the floor. Now,Without letting go of the pedal, have your helper block off the brake line outlet holes with their fingers.. Release pedal, then release fingers and pump pedal to floor again, you should see some air come out with the fluid. Fingers back in place(you do not want to get air back into the cylinder when you release the pedal!), release pedal. Do this a few times till all the air is out of the Master Brake cylinder. Reattach brake lines and be careful not to strip the threads and during the procedure make darn sure that you have plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir during this bleeding procedure. Did this procedure on my SC300 recently while doing a brake job and it worked like a charm. (This whole problem started when I allowed the reservoir to get to low during the brake bleeding process thus I got air into the master cylinder, this technique got it ALL OUT of the cylinder in about 5 min max, start to finish) Once you tighten the brake lines back up at the cylinder, you will still need to bleed the air at all 4 calipers! Keep that reservoir topped off during the process!!!