Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: which setup would you go with?
rotora crossdrilled/slotted
33.33%
rotora crossdrilled
8.33%
rotora slotted
50.00%
project mu pads
0%
rotora pads
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

time for new brake pads!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 11:55 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Cross Drilled Rotors are a great choice!

Have fun.
There are reasons why that happend, which has nothing to do with nomal street driving conditions with a good quality rotor.

Some cars come with drilled rotors from factory, should they be removed
Old 10-21-08, 10:47 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought you guys might enjoy this pic I ran across earlier today.

Old 10-22-08, 09:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

dear lord. do u know the back story on this?
Old 10-22-08, 09:31 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
dear lord. do u know the back story on this?
Sorry I do not. Looks like a bad Caliper combined with no brake inspections to me.
Old 10-23-08, 09:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Debonair
Sorry I do not. Looks like a bad Caliper combined with no brake inspections to me.
well.......guess im glad that mine don't look like that!
Old 10-23-08, 01:39 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda late with the response, but here is my experience with axxis ultimates.

Don't get them!... They squeak and create a lot of brake dust.. I ordered axxis semi-metallic pads but they were back-ordered and I couldn't wait. I thought I would try the ceramic pads.. They brake well but with all the noise and dust, I regret it...
Old 10-23-08, 10:40 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Hey thanks for the opinion Inspired. good to know.

Anyone run EBC Redstuff pads who could comment on their experiences with them please post.
Old 10-23-08, 10:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Scott, you should look back into Carbotech. They seem to be making pads for our cars now. I'm planning to run a set soon.
Old 10-24-08, 07:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by InspiredGS
Kinda late with the response, but here is my experience with axxis ultimates.

Don't get them!... They squeak and create a lot of brake dust.. I ordered axxis semi-metallic pads but they were back-ordered and I couldn't wait. I thought I would try the ceramic pads.. They brake well but with all the noise and dust, I regret it...
so do the semi-metallic pads not squeak and create alot of dust. did u not use any of that brake "lubricate"? NE1 else ever experience problems with the axxis ceramic pads?
Old 10-24-08, 10:26 AM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
so do the semi-metallic pads not squeak and create alot of dust. did u not use any of that brake "lubricate"? NE1 else ever experience problems with the axxis ceramic pads?
My past experience with axxis metel masters (semi-metallic) pad have been great. Very little brake dust and no noise.

The axxis ultimates (ceramic) pads start to squeak after they warm up. And you answer your question, yes I did apply the anti-squeak grease. And in case you were wondering, yes I do have oem shims on there.
Old 10-24-08, 12:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

hmmm crap. i was fixing to order those too......... i wish i had more people's opinions on the pads!
Old 10-24-08, 01:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Many of my friends who run Axxis Ultimates dont really have squealing noise at all. They followed the break-in procedures like they were suppose to. most people just put in the pads and think they're good to go. Then again, they beat on their cars a lot more than the average GS owner (Running at the track almost once a month).

If you're worried about noise, get the axxis deluxe. Chances are, you dont need the characteristics of the ULTs.
Old 10-24-08, 04:13 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Many of my friends who run Axxis Ultimates dont really have squealing noise at all. They followed the break-in procedures like they were suppose to. most people just put in the pads and think they're good to go. Then again, they beat on their cars a lot more than the average GS owner (Running at the track almost once a month).

If you're worried about noise, get the axxis deluxe. Chances are, you dont need the characteristics of the ULTs.
I did not slam on the brakes after I installed them. I got the noise right from the beginning.. I took the pads out to see if they glazed up, but saw nothing... I went as far as wet sanding the pads before installing them once again.. Same outcome..

Go with the deluxe pads (to my knowledge, metal masters aren't available anymore). Or better yet, get the hawks..

btw: I have cross-drilled and slotted by R1concepts. (3 different sets for 3 cars and never had any problems with them.)
Old 10-24-08, 05:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Well that's the problem right there.. You were suppose to put those pad through many heat cycles to burn off the resin that bonds the materials together. If you just babied it from the beginning, then they've never been cycled well enough. Axxis Ultimate pads need to be bedded in to perform optimally. Stoptech Uses Axxis Ultimate pads for their BBKs and they've also provided an instruction on how to break in the pads/rotors.

Like I said, my friends are aways at the track (actually they are as we speak, lol) and they come home with their brakes working perfectly (a bit more worn out, but that's the be expected).
Old 11-04-08, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok ordered front rotora slotted rotors and hawk pads today since they no longer are making the axxis deluxe pads.....or the 6 people i called cant get them. brake pads, g-stop brake kit, rotors, synthetic fluid and my front control arms will be all installed at same time friday

Quick Reply: time for new brake pads!