Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: which setup would you go with?
rotora crossdrilled/slotted
33.33%
rotora crossdrilled
8.33%
rotora slotted
50.00%
project mu pads
0%
rotora pads
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

time for new brake pads!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 11:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default time for new brake pads!

ok im fixing to be putting new pads/rotors on plus my g-stop kit i bought on here from UGKkllr (thanks again) but let me ask opinions. im running the factory calipers (probably will do a BBK in a few years or do the supra caliper swap although i still need info on what is required to do the supra rear swap. anyways, i will be running rotora slotted/crossdrilled rotors on the front and rear (i think) or should i just go for slotted? or just crossdrilled? heres also a ? i knwo the oem pads are ceramic do the aftermarket ones have to be? which one would you choose between........... rotora or project mu pads? please vote for a rotor AND a pad thanks

Last edited by sakataj; 10-14-08 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 11:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

First off, what's the reasoning for spending so much on slotted/cross drilled rotors now when you're going with a BBK setup later on? Kind of a waste when they dont really benefit you, plus it looks funny having OEM-sized slotted/drilled rotors. Honestly, upgrade the pads for now.

You can go with any pads you like. It doesn't have to be ceramic. Many Toyota/Lexus vehicles still use semi-metallic pads! I'd get some Hawks or Axxis pads, and then call it a day.

Now if you want me to sugarcoat things and tell you to go with cross-drilled/slotted rotors instead, I can do that I'd just hate to see you spend money on something that will net you very little gains, if any at all..especially when you're going to upgrade down the line.
Old 10-14-08, 11:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

the reason im replacing the rotors is cause its time for them to be replaced the front ones to low to be turned (well rears are fine but u know if im replacing one i would like the other to match and knock out 2 birds with one stone)........im not gonna do a BBK for a few years IF i even do one! no i just want a honest opinion of what people think no sugarcoated needed. actually asked that as i heard slotted/driller rotors will eat pads like there is no business and i was wondering if it would be better to do slotted? drilled? or slotted and drilled? and which brand of pads people prefer!
Old 10-14-08, 11:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Cheaper cross-drilled rotors will tend to lose its strength over a solid piece. Plus you lose a lot of mass within the rotor, and that's one thing you need in a brake system (up to a certain point). Slotted rotors are the less of the two evils so I'd go with that if you must have some sort of design.
Old 10-14-08, 11:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

haha not about a "design" i can get oem blanks for 110 each so 220 total and i can get ROTORA crossdrilled/slotted for like 283 or ROTORA slotted for like 235 or ROTORA drilled for like 240. which brand of pad do you think or have you used either?
Old 10-14-08, 12:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You may try the slotted if you want, since it's only $15 more. However note that you may experience some noise with them. It's just the nature of these slotted/drilled rotors. I haven't ran project mu or rotora pads so i can't comment on them.
Old 10-14-08, 05:05 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You may try the slotted if you want, since it's only $15 more. However note that you may experience some noise with them. It's just the nature of these slotted/drilled rotors. I haven't ran project mu or rotora pads so i can't comment on them.
I have some slotted and dimpled rotors on my Durango and they do make a "Whoosh whoosh whoosh" when I brake. Not too bad on that truck but i do not know if i would want them on the Lexus.

On a side note. I had a rotor overheating/warping issue on the Durango due to the small brakes and the rotors definitely fixed it.
Old 10-14-08, 07:22 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it's worth, I have slotted Rotora rotors and am amazed how well they enhance stopping power. Mind you, I'm driving in the city most of the time with 10-15 minutes of highway stretch, not racing, but it's incredible the stopping power I have.

I'm going to have to disagree with GSteg, you will see significant gains. I do however have to add to his comment, you will experience some noise. I hear a metallic scraping when I take hard turn, kind of like lightly touching a metal fan with a playing card so do keep that in mind.

With regards to "having a design" to your rotors, I get where the guys on here with BBK are coming from. Slotted and drilled rotors do have a nice show but also they also work well. Not as well as a BBK, but BBK isn't for everyone.

Take a look next time you see a high HP Mercedes, they all have drilled front and plan rear rotors. There has got to be a reason.

IMO GO FOR IT (it is only a few extra dollars!)
Old 10-14-08, 07:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Zippy what pads were you running with OEM rotors and what are you running now? Rotors have no bearing on stopping distance because ultimately, you're limited to tires, weight, and weight distribution. What gains are you getting out of the new rotors? I ask that because most guys, including me who have some sort of BBKs, know for a fact that our stopping distance is vitually the same as OEM. What changes is fading performance, but that can be easily enhanced with better pads instead of rotors. But since the rotoras aren't that much more than OEM, minus whale go with it to try them out.
Old 10-14-08, 08:09 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

I'm running Rotora slotted rotors with Axxis pads.

My perception is that they stop much better than OEM. They feel like they have more initial grip and almost no fad, but also keep in mind I'm not pressing them that hard. In general with OEM I can think of plenty of times when I had to mash pretty hard to get the car to stop, with this set up that is no longer a fact.

The reality is that I might not have the stopping power I think I do but there is no denying, they do "feel" better than OEM.

I think we might be comparing differences like those I just found on www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=86). My set-up would be comsidered Performance/Street while your set up might be Autocross/Track, regardless, IMO sakataj will see performance increases with an upgrade in pads and slotted and/or drilled rotors but the over all gain is not in comparison to BBK.

He said "im fixing to be"......so country!!!
Old 10-14-08, 08:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's the pads that is making a difference in your setup

I had a talk with crispy about this because he went from OEM to slotted/drilled rotors and he told me there was no difference in performance and feel. Upgraded pads will greatly affect the fading and bite relative to OEM setup. If anyone is looking for better performance, definitely look into pads first. If fading still occurs, then get a BBK setup, LOL. Although the slotted/drilled design sure does look good!!
Old 10-14-08, 08:30 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

GSteg, what pads did Chrispy upgrade to?

Also, a question to anyone regarding sakataj's slotted and/or drilled rotors, do either one make LESS noise than the other?
Old 10-14-08, 08:31 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running Hawk pads and slotted brembo rotors. There is a little noise associated with them but you can't hear it unless you have all the windows rolled down and are trying to pick up the sound. I have been thinking about selling them actually. I love the hawk pads though.
Old 10-14-08, 08:51 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no benefit from getting cross drilled & slotted rotors on a street car. all you're going to do is eat your pads faster and you'll have to watch for cracks in your rotors around the drilled areas.
Old 10-14-08, 09:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

EBC brake pads works great on my gs430. I got the redstuff... anyone tried yellowstuff?

Quick Reply: time for new brake pads!